[Stable Update] 2021-05-19 - Kernels, Nvidia, KDE Frameworks, Plasma, Systemd, LibreOffice, KDE Gear Mobile, FF, TB

I had to downgrade linux512, linux512-nvidia, nvidia-utils and lib32-nvidia-utils to get my desktop back to working order. Those 3 should be enough.

EDIT: Forgot to add the 32bit utils, otherwise Steam wouldn’t start.

Hey, thanks for the response. No, I have not applied the update yet as I am worried about the Virtualbox being broken after the update. So, I will also try to avoid updating Virtualbox at the moment.

I will share if anything comes up. :beers:

1 Like

That one has been there since February…

1 Like

No problems with the NVIDIA-Update 460.08.
I´m running with a GTX1080Ti, 4K-Resolution, Displayport.

Update:

Uninstalled these packages -

virtualbox-guest-iso 6.1.22-1
 virtualbox-guest-utils 6.1.22-2

Pamac then went ahead.

1 Like

Strange issue this morning : at startup, my dual screen didn’t work, second HDMI screen not even appearing.
I checked the drivers : Bumblebee was installed and active, free dirvers wera not installed.

This was the opposite of my setup for years…

I had to remove bumblebee and to install the open source drivers !

~]$ inxi -G
Graphics:  Device-1: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics driver: i915 v: kernel 
           Device-2: NVIDIA GF119M [GeForce 610M] driver: nouveau v: kernel 
           Device-3: Alcor Micro Asus Integrated Webcam type: USB driver: uvcvideo 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.11 driver: loaded: modesetting,nouveau unloaded: vesa resolution: 1: 1366x768~60Hz 
           2: 1680x1050~60Hz 3: 1024x768~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 3000 (SNB GT2) v: 3.3 Mesa 21.0.3 

What puzzles me is that I did a shutdown and fresh start after yesterday’s update and dual screen was ok.

How comes my usual setup was inverted, is it linked to yesterdays update ?

You can try to ignore it? Like in this post: [Stable Update] 2021-05-19 - Kernels, Nvidia, KDE Frameworks, Plasma, Systemd, LibreOffice, KDE Gear Mobile, FF, TB - #96 by Yoshanuikabundi

There are some problems on my end with with the new 460.80 Nvidia drivers.

From journalctl:

NVRM: API mismatch: the client has the version 460.80, but
       NVRM: this kernel module has the version 460.73.01.Please
       NVRM: make sure that this kernel module and all NVIDIA driver
       NVRM: components have the same version.

Currently running on kernel 5.10.34-1-MANJARO on a machine with a MX150 & intel integrated graphics.

After this update, my CPU is refusing to run at over 1GHz regardless of governor (it’s an i7-7700HQ). Powersave, performance, schedutil (yes, I don’t use intel_pstate, but acpi-cpufreq instead) all the same. Previously, switching to either performance or schedutil will immediately boost to 3.4GHz or so all cores.

EDIT:
Running cpufreq-bench somehow opens it, the frequency is now maintained at >3GHz on my current load and the system is much snappier. Really weird… I’m afraid the effect won’t survive a reboot, though.

It seems like for me i had to install virtualbox-guest-utils thru pacman which in turn asked me to remove virtualbox-guest-dkms because there was a conflict, after I did so pamac went ahead and updated.

I’m running an Nvidia 1060 3GB hooked up to an ultra-wide at 3440x1440 via DP, no regression caused by this patch on mine, though I did had to remove the quiet kernel parameter like a month ago to prevent the black-screen bug after login in GDM.

you better move to btrfs and use snapshots.
whenever you have issues, just “reactivate” the old snapshot (make it the default).

3 Likes

I used to downgrade the TEN following packages:

1. lib32-nvidia-utils-460.73.01-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst
  2. lib32-opencl-nvidia-460.73.01-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst
  3. linux512-5.12.1-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst
  4. linux512-acpi_call-1.1.0-4-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst
  5. linux512-headers-5.12.1-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst
  6. linux512-nvidia-460.73.01-3-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst
  7. linux512-vhba-module-20210418-4-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst
  8. mhwd-nvidia-460.73.01-1-any.pkg.tar.zst
  9. idia-utils-460.73.01-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst
  10. opencl-nvidia-460.73.01-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst
2 Likes

what’s your monitor?

pacman -Syyuu

Thanks. I ignored all those packages prior to upgrade. Then did the upgrade and rebooted just fine.

So if anyone else has >1080 monitors and/or use DP, then I would recommend ignoring the various nvidia and linux5xx packages for now to be safe.

Hopefully, nvidia fixes this soon.

1 Like

Having Audio Issues with older 32 bit Games/Wine, Quake 4 Error:

ALSA lib dlmisc.c:339:(snd_dlobj_cache_get0) Cannot open shared library libasound_module_pcm_pipewire.so (/usr/lib32/alsa-lib/libasound_module_pcm_pipewire.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
snd_pcm_open SND_PCM_STREAM_PLAYBACK ‘default’ failed: No such device or address
dlclose

seems i need Lib32-Pipewire, which don’t seem to exist for Manjaro, Some in AUR but out of date and building the lib32-pipewire 0.3.27-1 version results in seg fault when running said 32 bit games.

1 Like

I have no idea how pamac GUI works for upgrades, but in pacman, IIRC the questions asked were whether (1) you want to replace the “…dkms” package with “…guest-utils” and (2) replace …dkms package with …guest-utils-nox package.

If you answered yes to both questions, then the 2 guest-utils packages will conflict. What did I do? I went to check in pamac on the descriptions of these 2 packages. Answer: they provide the same functions but the nox version is for systems not using X (graphical environment). So redo your update but this time, choose to replace dkms with guest-utils but say no to the nox question.

I certainly didn’t need to completely remove virtualbox.

2 Likes

We have updated to 0.3.28 by now. So you can try to build that.

_commit=fb55cc4786ce5e78b0987248dd44e54daec77f80 # tags/0.3.28

I also did not remove Virtualbox completely just uninstalled - virtualbox-guest-iso 6.1.22-1 and
virtualbox-guest-utils 6.1.22-2. Then the upgrade ran fine via GUI. I run windows inside Virtualbox that’s the only use case so I didn’t care much about it. After the update nothing is broken yet so I am fine.

But yeah I have to admit that next time I will run pacman -Syu for upgrades rather than using pamac GUI.

2 Likes