[Stable Update] 2021-05-19 - Kernels, Nvidia, KDE Frameworks, Plasma, Systemd, LibreOffice, KDE Gear Mobile, FF, TB

That is just your interpretation.
Facts are: 10-15% of people who voted in this poll have/had problems.

Hard to tell.

The point is that it was already known that this version is causing trouble for quite some users.
So why pushing it through to stable instead of waiting until it’s fixed.

I mean that’s the whole point of having the three branches. To identify breaking changes in testing/unstable and NOT push them to stable until the issues are resolved. :man_shrugging:

Personally I don’t care since I’m not an NVidia user nor on stable branch. I can understand the criticism though.

6 Likes

Discord stopped working… and asks for manual intervention? offers direct download?

Or we can say: many of us that have do this update, not having had problems, didn’t voted at all.
Usually, those who have no problems do not feel the need to come to the forum and vote. Imho. :wink:

Yes, you are right. But if the problem is not easy and quick to solve, what do we do? A rolling release can’t wait, that’s the point. I insist on saying that rolling release could runs into these kinds of problems and this is a weak point, unfortunately.

Manjaro always delays update from Discord,so in the meantime Download Discord from Arch
https://archlinux.org/packages/community/x86_64/discord/download/

then double click to that file to install them,or if you prefer the terminal

sudo pacman -U discord-0.0.15-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst

Not need to worry about the package being from Arch,it will be the same as Manjaro’s later

2 Likes

@gan
Sorry, is your statement logical?

Find here Releases, Stable, Stable Staging, Testing, Unstable Section… without function?
Better shrink to only one Forum Announcement branch:

“Risky - Rolling - Can´t wait”. :rofl:

2 Likes

The same problem as yours, please tell me how to fix it. :sob:
should I remove linux59-nvidia???

You should definitly switch to a supported kernel as linux59 is long EOL.

1 Like

Yeah, but I already installed 5.10. Want to know if I can remove linux59-nvidia because I typed pactree linux59-nvidia and found a lot of packages involved.

Sure, always remove kernels you’re not using, especially if they’ve gone EOL.

Btw: I don’t speak that language shown in the screenshot, this is an english forum.

edit: And please do not post terminal output as screenshots. Use copy+paste and proper post formatting (</> button) for that.

2 Likes

thank you :rofl: I see

1 Like

A lot of people complaining about stability and the nvidia stuff.

I see the same in the Gnome 40 thread and some other threads (Pamac new look for example).

I think that a lot of people seem to forget that things like these exist mainly out of goodwill and effort of individuals.

Maybe we should adjust our communication accordingly.

I too am holding off on this update because I might be affected and asked about it higher up in this thread. But there is a distinct difference between asking a question and, maybe, adding some constructive feedback or just blurting out opinions on how bad the devs are.

As is always the case with open source projects. If you think you can do better, open a merge request and contribute. Otherwise, don’t take the effort put into these projects for granted.

(Sorry for the potential off topic but it had to be said imho)

6 Likes

I just update my Manjaro KDE (5.10 LTS) and i have no issue with 2080Ti on my Dell S2417DG (1440p@144Hz) with DP1.3 (or possible 1.4 can’t remember) cable.

I was very worried i could run into issues and backup my drive with timeshift and collected some Infos about there was no need, Manjaro still rulez and i love how beautiful KDE looks :slight_smile:

Edit: I’m experience Sound issue with my Creative AE-5 Soundcard, the Center Box from my 5.1 Soundsystem no longer working, there must be some new issues with Alsamixer related to my Soundcard because it was working in the past.

clearly there are’nt enough ppl using nvidia cards in the testing branch, and of the ppl who were, there werent as many ppl experiencing issues. so till there arent as many testers be prepared to get messy updates making it to the stable branch. i’ve seen enough ppl here whining about not having latest drivers when some were delayed too. you are not entitled for absolute stability while playing it safe, that is hypocrisy

2 Likes

I have experienced the issue described here:
/t/kde-could-not-find-theme-after-update/58598
(plugin cannot be loaded for module “org.kde.plasma.core”: Cannot load library /usr/lib/qt/qml/org/kde/plasma/core/libcorebingingsplugin.so: (/usr/lib//ibKF5KIOcore.so.5 undefined symbol: _ZN4KJob14percentChangedEPS_mNS_14QPrivateSignalE))

1. At first I tried sudo pacman -Qqn | sudo pacman -S -

2. That didn’t work so I fixed the error on sddm screen by following this:
    /t/i-not-able-to-use-my-custom-theme-in-manjaro/30214/4

3. sudo pacman -S kwindowsystem kcrash knotifications kwallet kservice kglobalaccel kxmlgui ktextwidgets kio kbookmarks this reverted some packages back to the non ‘-git’ version, I thought that would be it, since I no longer saw any conflicts.

4. After reboot I was greeted with a black screen so had to get into TTY and connect to the internet like this:
    nmcli con delete <SSID> to remove previous connection
    nmcli device wifi connect <SSID> password <PASSWORD>

5. To find the rest of mismatching packages I ran:
    pacman -Q | grep -E "-git"

6. Then I ran the sync command again to revert the rest of KDE packages back to non ‘-git’ versions. This might vary depending on what package required the community versions in the first place.

sudo pacman -S xxx xxxxxx xxxx.....

1. After another reboot all works well.

Yes, of course Manjaro is a rolling release. I already knew that when I decided to daily drive it. But then the question arises; what is the point of having stable and non-stable branches? Isn’t the point to curve updates that break things badly? And even if we were to go by the number of users being affected being only 10-15%, we have to consider that at this scale we are talking about a lot of users here. I don’t expect every update to be perfect or devoid of issues nor should anyone else. But, it is perplexing that we have different branches and yet this was pushed to the stable branch rather than being held back. And yes, Windows does seem to mess up a lot with their updates, but that doesn’t mean we should follow in their footsteps. We should obviously try and be better and that’s why we have people running Linux in the first place. Once again, I really hope this devs don’t take this personally, and I do really appreciate everything that they do.

9 Likes

@XRaTiX this is sorted out and fixed today

3 Likes

Since the update I have a jumpy mouse scroll problem…
Edit: I cleaned the inside and it is much better now. The problem seem to have been started after the update though.
Edit2: The issue came back… I know, it’s hard to believe. It can still be partly hardware related, maybe? But I bought a new mouse, which doesn’t have this issue (yet).