[Stable Update] 2021-05-19 - Kernels, Nvidia, KDE Frameworks, Plasma, Systemd, LibreOffice, KDE Gear Mobile, FF, TB

I would have not promoted nvidia 460.80 to stable, knowing about the issues with DP ports…

17 Likes

Still the “old” Pamac GUI ?

Funny to have had a glimpse on the (neat) new one earlier this week (then reversed)

All ok here, thanks for all this ! :slight_smile:

1 Like

@nam1962 you can switch to testing branch to test the new UI out as you wish. Will bring also newer packages.

Update seems o.k. - no error messages, reboot… then blackscreen.

Try to boot older kernel, same issue. Terminal session with Ctrl-Alt-F2 not possible… black is black :woozy_face:
Next I will try to go back with livestick and timeshift - hopefully - it is first time for me.
Perhaps NVIDIA error (GTX 1080)?
System 2 with AMD-GPU (Ryzen 4650G) update seems without problems (nearly same config and apps).

Michael

Oh, I see @philm above… 4k not mine, but 3840x1600 and DP. Perhaps here is Screen-Output on HDMI?
What is to do?

1 Like

Hi there.
When trying to update via the GUI I got an error message about conflicting files.

• plasma-workspace: /usr/share/locale/ta/LC_MESSAGES/kcm_autostart.mo already exists in filesystem (owned by plasma-desktop-primex)

I found a post from three days ago where someone on the testing branch had the same error and it seemed to have been resolved by replacing plasma-desktop-primex with regular plasma-desktop so that’s what I tried.

I’m quite new to this whole Linux thing so I’m probably missing something but a few issues come up that I can’t seem to find solutions for.

• After updating it prompts me to reboot, but when I try to do so the screen blurs out and nothing more happens. I ended up opening up Yakuake and entering “shutdown now”.
  • After starting up the computer again, my plasma seems to be broken. No desktop background (just completely black and can’t right click on it). No task bar or start menu. alt+ space doesn’t work yet if I move my mouse to the top left corner of the screen I get the activity switcher as usual. I have restored my previous system twice via Timeshift and tried the update again but with no different result.

Any suggestions or help would be very appreciated.

EDIT: Edited for clarity.

1 Like

And so, I tried updating as random crashes in AMD still persist, but when opening Pamac no update was available yet. I refreshed the database, and nothing. Finally I shut down the computer and there seems to be a regression (at least in GNOME), because the system took a good few minutes to shut down (which had not happened in a while).
Due to these problems, I no longer use my laptop as much as I used to, because I spend more time here in the forums than in my actual system. When activating automatic updates in Pamac, are they applied alone, or are they simply downloaded? Since now I am tired to check which version I am in and I do not know if this error is from now, although it had not happened to me since I manually updated the last stable update. I will hope this stabilizes soon.

System seems functional after restore last snapshot with timeshift - but timeshift shows that errors occurs - error message
“If system not boots, try another snapshot”… mmh, it boots… I wait and look…
but @philm, what is the right way, if the prop. driver are needed and why is such a shit in stable?

1 Like

Hello guys, after system update (Manjaro Gnome Desktop) i have issue with Nvidia Driver and system dont boot, what can i do ?

Previous Nvidia Driver 460.79
Now Nvidia 460.80

The below message is before update and restart my PC

(Warning: installing nvidia-utils (460.80-1) breaks dependency ‘nvidia-utils-460.73.01’ required by linux59-nvidia
Add linux59-nvidia to remove)

Stable
Nvidia cards don’t work

wtf

11 Likes

The last working Nvidia driver with Display Port support was 460.73.01. Then a new version came out, which backports stuff from 465 series. Current 460.80. Seems like the “fixes” for some Display Port issues created a regression. People with issues on the Nvidia driver may report to Nvidia with some constructive feedback and step by step guides so they can reproduce it.

1 Like

Any risen why not all Kernels updated to that which are compiled with gcc11?

I encountered this error:
[ 78%] Linking CXX shared library ../bin/libKF5GuiAddons.so [ 78%] Built target KF5GuiAddons make: *** [Makefile:136: all] Error 2 ==> ERROR: A failure occurred in build(). Aborting... error making: kguiaddons-git

Trying to switch to extra/kguiaddons results in:
looking for conflicting packages... kguiaddons and kguiaddons-git are in conflict. Remove kguiaddons-git? [y/N] y error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies) removing kguiaddons-git breaks dependency 'kguiaddons-git' required by kconfigwidgets-git

Same story if I try to replace kconfigwidgets-git with extra/kconfigwidgets, which leads to:
removing kconfigwidgets-git breaks dependency 'kconfigwidgets-git' required by kiconthemes-git;

which in turn leads to:
removing kiconthemes-git breaks dependency 'kiconthemes-git' required by ktextwidgets-git :: removing kiconthemes-git breaks dependency 'kiconthemes-git' required by kwallet-git

This results in having no panel, no window borders, no desktop, no icons anywhere. I’m not sure what to try next.

Seems you’re having some KDE-git packages for some reason. We dropped them as we have [kde-unstable] repo. You might want to scan your install and replace them with regular packages @jdcard

1 Like

We don’t have GCC11 in this update.

I’d love to replace them with regular packages but my attempts have been unsuccessful:

yay kguiaddons
3 aur/mingw-w64-kguiaddons 5.76.0-2 (+1 0.00) 
    Addons to QtGui (mingw-w64)
2 aur/kguiaddons-git 5.79.0_r337.g88a0716-2 (+21 0.30) (Installed: 5.79.0.r337.g88a0716-1)
    Addons to QtGui
1 extra/kguiaddons 5.82.0-1 (306.5 KiB 771.3 KiB) [kf5] 
    Addons to QtGui
==> Packages to install (eg: 1 2 3, 1-3 or ^4)
==> 1
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...
:: kguiaddons and kguiaddons-git are in conflict. Remove kguiaddons-git? [y/N] y
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: removing kguiaddons-git breaks dependency 'kguiaddons-git' required by kconfigwidgets-git
error installing repo packages

Is there some other way of doing this?

You should replace plasma-desktop-primex with plasma-desktop.

linux59 is long EOL, you should switch the kernel to a newer one, like llinux510 (LTS).

PipeWire 0.3.28 was released 11 hours ago ( 0.3.28 Release · PipeWire / pipewire · GitLab ) and fixes the serious issues of the volume getting reduced to 0 and being unrecoverable without a restart that I’ve been seeing lately with 0.3.26 and 0.3.27. Can we please get a quick update to 0.3.28 so I can switch back from the -git packages? Thanks for the update.

1 Like

It tells you in the output:

Use Manjaro Settings Manager to remove Linux 5.9 and install a stable or LTS (Long Term Support) kernel. 5.9 is EOL (End Of Life) and is no longer in the repos.

Sure, switch to the unstable branch. :wink:

The volume getting reset to 0 is not fitting of a “stable” branch.