[Stable Update] 2021-05-06 - Kernels, Mesa, VirtualBox, LxQt 0.17, Deepin, Gnome Apps 40.1

I have two luks partitions:

$ grep luks /proc/mounts 
/dev/mapper/luks-d4d370d7-082e-437f-b4ae-84c750147f53 / ext4 rw,noatime 0 0
/dev/mapper/luks-bd4c91ef-b67b-4d8c-a73d-f8f8642b867b /home ext4 rw,noatime 0 0

I used to type in the password only once, but after the last update (the previous Stable one), I have to type it twice: (i) once pre-boot, likely for "/", and (ii) another after booting, likely for "/home". (Yes, you probably guessed right: both partitions have a certain little thing in common). Whether this is bad practice or not, is not the point, but:

Is it somehow possible to revert to the previous behavior of having to type password only once? If so, how? (Command-level explanation, please).

Thanks in advance!

How is that /home partition mounted? Check /etc/crypttab and the password/keyfile used there.

Here’s the non-comment contents of my /etc/crypttab:

# grep -v '^#' /etc/crypttab 
luks-bd4c91ef-b67b-4d8c-a73d-f8f8642b867b UUID=bd4c91ef-b67b-4d8c-a73d-f8f8642b867b     /crypto_keyfile.bin luks
luks-d4d370d7-082e-437f-b4ae-84c750147f53 UUID=d4d370d7-082e-437f-b4ae-84c750147f53     /crypto_keyfile.bin luks

… and here more info about the /crypto_keyfile.bin:

# ls -l /crypto_keyfile.bin 
-rw------- 1 root root 2048 Aug  4  2020 /crypto_keyfile.bin
# file /crypto_keyfile.bin 
/crypto_keyfile.bin: data

That says /crypto_keyfile.bin should be used to unlock both those cryptdevices.
Does that unlocking of the /home cryptdevice still work with that keyfile?
If this needs more investigations/fiddling, open a separate thread to not pollute this announcement any further.

Initially I ran the usual upgrade commands in the text console:

Ctrl-Alt-F2
pacman -Syyu
shutdown -r now

This got my system in a state where the display manager would crash and the following messages would be printed in the logs:

systemd-modules-load[531]: Failed to insert module 'nvidia': Exec format error
kernel: nvidia: disagrees about version of symbol module_layout
systemd-modules-load[531]: Failed to insert module 'nvidia_drm': Exec format error
kernel: nvidia: disagrees about version of symbol module_layout
systemd[1]: Failed to start Load Kernel Modules.
systemd[1]: lightdm.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
systemd[1]: lightdm.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
systemd[1]: Failed to start Light Display Manager.

After a quick search through the forums, in the “[Testing Update] 2021-04-26”, I found that Nvidia driver got downgraded to v460 from v465, and to accommodate that downgrade I needed to run these commands:

Ctrl-Alt-F2
sudo pacman-mirrors -f && sudo pacman -Syyuu
shutdown -r now

After running those commands everything worked fine and the system came back to normal.

How/Where do I do that?

Find an appropriate sub-forum and create a thread there.

For all those who keep asking about the kernel, LTS, etc. - please have a look at the following link.
It shows what is currently changing in the kernel.

https://www.spinics.net/lists/stable/index.html

5 Likes

Hello, I haven’t done system update in quite some time. Now I’m facing this problem and don’t know what to do.

sudo pacman -Syyuu                                   7.7s  Min 16 Mei 2021 09:30:45 
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core                        165,5 KiB   171 KiB/s 00:01 [##############################] 100%
 extra                      1968,1 KiB   177 KiB/s 00:11 [##############################] 100%
 community                     6,6 MiB   186 KiB/s 00:36 [##############################] 100%
 multilib                    180,5 KiB   145 KiB/s 00:01 [##############################] 100%
:: Starting full system upgrade...
:: Replace python-dbus with extra/dbus-python? [Y/n] 
:: Replace python-dbus-common with extra/dbus-python? [Y/n] 
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...
:: dbus-python and python2-dbus are in conflict. Remove python2-dbus? [y/N] y
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: installing nvidia-utils (460.73.01-1) breaks dependency 'nvidia-utils=460.56' required by linux59-nvidia

I have tried sudo pacman-mirrors -f && sudo pacman -Syyuu
and

sudo pacman-key --populate archlinux manjaro
sudo pacman-key --refresh-keys
sudo pacman -Syu

following some forum post but result still the same.

If I select y y n it will do this instead:

sudo pacman -Syu                                     1.6m  Min 16 Mei 2021 09:32:26 
[sudo] password for ifrit: 
 core is up to date
 extra is up to date
 community is up to date
 multilib is up to date
:: Starting full system upgrade...
:: Replace python-dbus with extra/dbus-python? [Y/n] 
:: Replace python-dbus-common with extra/dbus-python? [Y/n] 

:: dbus-python and python2-dbus are in conflict. Remove python2-dbus? [y/N] 
error: unresolvable package conflicts detected
error: failed to prepare transaction (conflicting dependencies)
:: dbus-python and python2-dbus are in conflict

The Kernel 5.9 is end of life (EOL)

Install 5.10
sudo mhwd-kernel -i linux510
Or
sudo mhwd-kernel -i linux510 rmc

To remove current Kernel

After that retry to update
sudo pacman-mirrors -f && sudo pacman -Syyuu

1 Like

My system did not notify me about this upgrade.
I noticed malfunctions when I tried to download software using pamac.
Then Discover warned me about having to install a new kernel and language packages.
I concluded I had to refresh mirrors and upgrade via pacman (using the command line)
That’s fine, but I’m not a mind reader…I need the system to tell me when there is an upgrade pending.

Am I experiencing this bug, which a little research led me to:

Python 2 is dead. What do have installed that depends on python2-dbus? Remove that first then upgrade. You can check with:

pacman -Qi python2-dbus

Look at Required By and Optional For in the output.

1 Like

It does not seem like anything depends on python2-dbus. But I still can’t update,

:: installing nvidia-utils (460.73.01-1) breaks dependency 'nvidia-utils=460.56' required by linux59-nvidia

I don’t know what to do with this one.
If I used pamac, it can update anyway but I don’t know if it’s safe.

Linux 5.9 is end of life. Install Linux 5.10 with the mhwd kernel manager. Then uninstall Linux 5.9, and update.

1 Like

I tried this, not working. Same error.

sudo mhwd-kernel -i linux510                         1.5m  Sen 17 Mei 2021 06:10:38 
 core                        165,5 KiB   101 KiB/s 00:02 [##############################] 100%
 extra                      1968,1 KiB   113 KiB/s 00:17 [##############################] 100%
 community                     6,6 MiB   156 KiB/s 00:43 [##############################] 100%
 multilib                    180,5 KiB   151 KiB/s 00:01 [##############################] 100%
The following packages are out of date, please update your system first: adwaita-icon-
... the list goes on
Do you want to continue anyway? [y/N] y
:: installing nvidia-utils (460.73.01-1) breaks dependency 'nvidia-utils=460.56' required by linux54-nvidia

I also tried with manjaro settings manager.
It said “New kernel packages are ready to install. Would you like to continue?”
pick yes, then looks like it’s success (quick process)
but nothing changed.

EDIT:
Oh wait sorry, maybe ill use the other command.
sudo mhwd-kernel -i linux510 rmc

hmm no cant use that too

:: installing nvidia-utils (460.73.01-1) breaks dependency 'nvidia-utils=460.56' required by linux54-nvidia

Error: 'rmc' aborted because the kernel failed to install or canceled on removal.

Then I tried to remove the LTS kernel which says “Recomended” then try sudo mhwd-kernel -i linux510 rmc but still not working.

Should I also manually remove the one I’m currently using? it sounds dangerous. I want to avoid reinstalling my system.

You have 5.4 installed right? - Boot it that Kernel try again the steps

Unfortunately, I already removed it, and cannot reinstall the kernel anymore, for the same reason.

Done ...

… hmmm maybe ill just reinstall.

OK. This sounds like starting afresh, in which case I’ll have to manually copy everything that was already done here. Is there a way of moving the discussion (posts+replies: mine+others’) to a suitable place without having to manually duplicate posts?

I think an admin has already done it for discussions in which I participated, but I have no idea on how to make it happen.

If so, please advise as for a first-timer. Thanks in advance!

I’m not an admin. Just link the new thread with this one and vice versa.