[Stable Update] 2021-04-18 - Kernels, Mesa, Wine, Plasma5, KDE Frameworks, LibreOffice, Bluez

Glad it helped! :grinning:

… or just use a DE that does not require extensions to be fully functional, Manjaro has some of them in store :wink: … this would be a more sustainable solution. Either use GNOME vanilla, or use something else.

2 Likes

networkmanager-openvpn was updated from 1.8.12 to 1.8.14. Now VPN connections fail with the following errors:

кві 22 21:59:24 verba nm-openvpn[50064]: Options error: --cert fails with '': No such file or directory (errno=2)
кві 22 21:59:24 verba nm-openvpn[50064]: WARNING: cannot stat file '': No such file or directory (errno=2)
кві 22 21:59:24 verba nm-openvpn[50064]: Options error: --key fails with '': No such file or directory (errno=2)
кві 22 21:59:24 verba nm-openvpn[50064]: Options error: Please correct these errors.

Those two properties are indeed empty in the configuration file, i.e.

cert=
key=

However, I did not need them previously. I tried removing these properties directly from the configuration file but that did not help. As a temporary solution, I had to downgrade to 1.8.12 to make VPN work.

I do not know much about openvpn. Perhaps the user certificate and key are now required?

Yeah it is working like charm but the latest gdm 40 has a weird bug.
The manjaro-gdm-theme has black cutouts on top left and top right in the GNOME lock screen.

1 Like

Hey @thepete, this might be a temporary workaround to that problem: Square borders on dock Gnome 40 - #4 by Syzygianinfern0

Using other themes didn’t work for me and I prefer the vanilla look 'n feel

Try changing the theme, I do not use Matcha Theme personally, I saw this here:(Square borders on dock Gnome 40 - #4 by Syzygianinfern0)

Are you saying that updating to kernel 5.11 fixed this problem?

If GRUB is going into recovery mode, how are you booting into your OS?

Hi,
Two minor problems on linux510 I have experienced after the upgrade.
The well know one that wine not running exe files on Wine, which could be solved by downgrading the package.
The other is that xfreerdp does not work well as in linux54, I could not be able to connect a remote server and I experienced that the machine freezes and I had to shutdown with the power button.
BTW Manjaro is a beautiful kind of beast.
Regards

The most beautiful kind!

As I’ve been previously informed, and actually knew, this is very rarely the case, even when it seems like it is. Have a look at [HowTo] reboot / turn off your frozen computer: REISUB/REISUO

1 Like

I had a few issues with the last couple of kernels after 5.9 too, and 5.11 is the only one that can take me off 5.4 with no issues.

That’s quite a downer. I need this for work, otherwise I can’t do home office stuff. Is there more info about this like if somebody is taking a look at it or when it will be fixed?

External USB 3.0 drives are super cheap now days and that is really all you need for a backup solution. It wouldn’t require migrating anything and would give you the peace of mind of a backup.

The reality is that the position you have your self in now is that you WILL lose your data at some point. Drive failure isn’t a case of IF it fails it is a case of WHEN it fails. I realize drive prices are different in various parts of the world but at least in the US a 2TB external USB 3.0 drive is about $59 or $89 for a 4TB drive which would be more than enough to do timeshift backups.

Also from a cost perspective far too many people put a value on their time and their data of $0. You have to ask yourself what is your time worth and how many hours/days would you have to spend if you lose your data. (that is assuming you lose it because of a software issue, if you lose it because of a hard drive failure then you end up having to purchase a new drive at that point anyway).

2 Likes

That wasn’t the point of my post. Maybe I’ll go back and edit it. The point that while the extensions get worked out you do not have to lose all of your data by rebooting if that activities glitch occurs for you. I still am not sure what the trigger for it is. As I have only had it occur 3 times now and when I disable and re-enable the extensions from the command line it completely resolves it and I can’t get it to glitch again until I reboot.

Like I mentioned in my post this is to be expected and is true for EVERY DE environment. KDE just spend the past couple of months having one issue after another after their last major update (just look at the past Stable Update threads). Now it’s gnome’s turn it is just the way it works when you are running on a rolling release that keeps you close to new developments. Gnome 40 is actually FINALLY doing a lot to work more closely with extension developers again instead of ignoring them so hopefully moving forward that will become much less of an issue. I’ve used many DE over the years and even have manjaro KDE on a separate partition to play with but for my personal workflow Gnome is still the best DE for my use and requires the least amount of my time messing with the DE and letting me get work done.

Hello there!

I hope there are reports about gnome applications (like Dolphin) having issues with light text fields in the dark system theme and also hope these issues are going to be solved sooner or later :slight_smile:

Best regards!

Erm, AFAIK Dolphin is a KDE application. Except if you don’t mean that one, in which case it’s safe to ignore me.

KDE uses QT and Gnome uses GTK. Thus the themes can be different. Because, well, because QT themes are not GTK themes, and the one don’t work on the other.

1 Like

that’s what happened on my system, too - how to downgrade?

You could follow this how to on the wine forums. However, I figured out that the downgrade script which is recommended by other person there is less hassle:

# LANG=C is optional. 
# The translated texts in my locale were confusing, 
# hence I used LANG=C to "turn localization off" and use the "safe default" (=English) locale:
sudo LANG=C downgrade wine

Actually it’s “cute”, spelled “Qt”.
(“Q.T.” is something else.)

1 Like

Thanks, I tried both ways, but on my system I get errors:

sudo pacman -U wine-5.4-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst
loading packages...
warning: downgrading package wine (6.6-1 => 5.4-1)
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (1) wine-5.4-1

Total Installed Size:  493,21 MiB
Net Upgrade Size:       90,15 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] y
(1/1) checking keys in keyring                     [######################] 100%
(1/1) checking package integrity                   [######################] 100%
(1/1) loading package files                        [######################] 100%
(1/1) checking for file conflicts                  [######################] 100%
error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
wine: /etc/fonts/conf.d/30-win32-aliases.conf exists in filesystem
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

The same using the script:

select a package by number: 62
loading packages...
warning: downgrading package wine (6.6-1 => 6.2-1)
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (1) wine-6.2-1

Total Installed Size:  400,17 MiB
Net Upgrade Size:       -2,90 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] 
(1/1) checking keys in keyring                     [######################] 100%
(1/1) checking package integrity                   [######################] 100%
(1/1) loading package files                        [######################] 100%
(1/1) checking for file conflicts                  [######################] 100%
error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
wine: /etc/fonts/conf.d/30-win32-aliases.conf exists in filesystem
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

How could the coflict be solved, please?

Im currently having a problem with shutdowns and reboots taking way to long due to this errors:

watchdog: watchdog0: watchdog did not stop!
sd-unmount[1900]: Failed to unmount /oldroot: Device or resource busy
sd-unmount[1901]: Failed to unmount /oldroot/dev: Device or resource busy
shutdown[1]: Failed to finalize file systems, ignoring.

Slice=-.slice was already added to /usr/lib/systemd/user/gnome-session-restart-dbus.service by default.

The Device is a Lenovo V17-IIL Laptop without nvidia GPU just Intel graphics.