[Stable Update] 2021-03-18 - Kernels, Plasma, Frameworks, LibreOffice, Firefox, Systemd

No update overwrites your configuration, it just provides the .pacnew-files that you can then analyse and merge as you please. The differences in grub and grub.pacnew are proposals and you decide to pick them or not.

I get it that not all differences make sense to everybody (I’m no pro neither), but if something on your machine breaks it can be caused by such a merging operation. “Nah, let’s pick it, it can’t hurt” isn’t the best reason for a decision.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Error: file ‘/boot/vmlinuz-5.10-x86_84’ not found

i had a similar problem. BT was disconnected or not detected and i couldn’t activate the BT although lsusb showed up that the dongle was connected. The problem is that i plugged the dongle to a usb-hub. after changing it straight to the laptop without the hub between the problem is gone.

hm…some freeze was added after update.
and all system seems to work slower…

Fixing issues with pipewire:

Execute:

pamac install manjaro-pipewire
pamac install gst-plugin-pipewire

OR

pamac install pulseeffects-legacy

pulseeffects-legacy does not depend on Pipewire and does not require removal of PulseAudio packages

This made no sense to me, because I already had manjaro-pipewire and gst-plugin-pipewire installed. I recently replaced pulseaudio with pipewire. So the update was a challenge…

Thanks to Lyrix the following helped:
systemctl --user enable pipewire.socket pipewire-pulse.socket
systemctl --user enable pipewire pipewire-pulse pipewire-media-session
systemctl --user start pipewire.socket pipewire-pulse.socket
systemctl --user start pipewire pipewire-pulse pipewire-media-session

Before issuing the commands I renamed ~/.config/pipewire to pipewire_old

BTW PulseEffects works fine.

1 Like

Thank you to the Manjaro team for all the work they put into every release.

Gnome, 5.11 kernel, nvidia 460 series
Smooth update without any issues.

I also switch over to pipewire from pulseaudio since that seems to be the direction for the future of audio in linux at this time using the excellent directions provided by @kagetora13 in this post and everything is running perfectly.

1 Like

The update went smoothly apart from 2 issues, one which easily got fixed and it was that GRUB wouldn’t show AT ALL while booting, no kernel choosing, nothing. Easily fixed it by activating os-prober using the command in the common issues post, I’m not sure why grub would stop showing altogether just because it can’t find windows but eh it got fixed.

The other issue which i didn’t bother to research because it’s midnight is that the manjaro kernel manager just shows an install button in front of all the kernels, even the one i’m running

Which you can see here :

I’m not sure what causes this but i think it is relevant info that while installing i chose to not write to MBR and write the boot record to the disk manjaro itself is on, however before this update the tool worked fine. Also GRUB can find installed kernels, the manjaro tool can’t.

Use GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=menu to force the menu to appear. os-prober was disabled by default for security reasons.

1 Like

The computer freezes while building projects using gcc. Rolled back to the previous version using timeshift - everything became normal.
Update: switched to the 5.4 LTS kernel - the problems disappeared.

I can’t update my system because error happened at checking for file conflicts

(354/354) checking for file conflicts [##############################] 100%
error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
python-markdown: /usr/bin/markdown_py exists in filesystem
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

please help me

No issues at all on two machines, thanks to the team.

To solve your issue, see this thread:

I opened an issue for you: @linux-aarhus

1 Like

It works. thank you so much

1 Like

Hi,

after restarting the PC the desktop doesn´t show up. Via F2+alt I can search and start programs, and I do see manjaros mouse and welcoming screen, but there is neither a wallpaper, symbols or a task bar.

Would be happy to get some clues.

1 Like

I couldn’t replicate the issue - Nonetheless I took the extra time to verify all code related to http requests and refactored all to use the Python requests lib - before it was a mix.

v4.20.0-2 has been pushed to unstable.

@linux-aarhus @philm Installed v4.20.0-2 from unstable. works fine for me. Big Thx!

btw: Version still prints:
sudo pacman-mirrors -v
Version 4.19.5

See Known issues and solutions post at the top here:

wget https://archive.archlinux.org/packages/k/kio/kio-5.79.0-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst
sudo pacman -U kio-5.79.0-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst
sudo echo "IgnorePkg = kio" >> /etc/pacman.conf
2 Likes

Update made my bluetooth headphones choppy. I posted information here:

2 Likes

Update on 12 Systems without Problems.

DK3