[Stable Update] 2021-03-08- Kernels, Plasma 5.21.2, Haskell, Kodi, Grub, KDE-Dev

I haven’t updated yet as I have a manjaro - W10 dual boot setup (two different physical hard-drives).

Can I add GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=false to /etc/default/grub and do a sudo update-grub before the update to avoid the problem right away or does the update itself change this property in the /etc/default/grub-file?

Thank you very much in advance. :slight_smile:

I added the grub_disable_os_prober=false line to /etc/default/grub prior to applying the updates and everything was fine after applying and rebooting. My dual boot setup remained. You won’t need to do the sudo update-grub after added the line as it’ll happen after updating.

3 Likes

That will work also. Your configuration file should’t get overwritten or replaced during the update. Instead, a .pacnew file is placed alongside /etc/default/grub.

In general: Make sure to look for .pacnew files in /etc regularly and merge them back to the corresponding configuration files as described in my previous post.

1 Like

Really wonder what the issue was. I have two computers on KDE and they have been receiving updates for about two years now, and there have been a few fixes along the way, nothing major. It is strange that you are having so much difficulty. Unusual hardware? Packages added from AUR? Custom scripts?

I guess I had the opposite experience, Mint would break in a month. I kept trying it for the guest gaming computer, but finally gave up.

Could you be more specific which line it needs to be added to?

I had exactly the same issue. I then ran
pamac install manjaro-pipewire
from Known issues and solutions above ( Pulseeffects stopped working)
The update completed with no other issues. Audio on youtube still seems to work so I think this solved it.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot. But i do not use powerdevil (plasma). I use Gnome and the software “thinkfan”. Any idea?

To it’s own line anywhere. It doesn’t matter the placement.

1 Like

Does anybody have an idea?

But what is the output of systemctl status thinkfan.service?
Consider to open a discussion in the “Support” section:

Support - Manjaro Linux Forum

You will have more chanches to have more attentions about.

Long shot, but maybe check the .conf files and make sure they are valid? Or try a different kernel?

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Lenovo_ThinkPad_T420#Fans

Same problem here. XFCE

obrazek

I’m using flameshot-git and not seeing this issue. However, qBittorrent’s is either blank or black on black; I can’t tell which.

Update works well so far. I was dual-booting as well and used the quick-fix mentioned (enable os-prober manually). Thanks and happy Women’s Day to all the great devs behind the project!

Update seems to be working so far, but I have a question.
After the update, I checked the orphans tab on pamac and it lists the packages alsa-card-profiles and python-asn1crypto. Both of them indicate that they were installed as dependencies for another package, and their dependency tab both do not have any “Required by” entries. Is it safe for me to uninstall these packages? They’re both “too deep” into the system for me to even be aware of their existence until today, so I don’t think I’ve fiddled with anything related to them, but them being system files that I do not understand, I want to ask here anyway just to be sure.

Hi. Issues with screen sharing still persists. I don’t have enough technical knowledge to fix it manually, and this issue carries from 2 stable updates. First reported in Screen Sharing issue at the end of January. I need it to work. Any news/Suggestions?

Hi,
pacman -Sii <package name> shows reverse dependencies. Also, if you try to uninstall the packages, pacman/pamac will try to uninstall dependant packages. So, just inquire the remove list that programs show you.
Good luck!

No issues here on two machines, both XFCE, kernel 5.10. Thanks to the Manjaro team.

I got it to work, is it just for now, a workaround or a permanent fix for the issue with dual-boot?

Thank You!