[Stable Update] 2021-03-08- Kernels, Plasma 5.21.2, Haskell, Kodi, Grub, KDE-Dev

Hi everyone!

KDE Plasma user here.
The latest wine 6.3-1 installation appears to be broken.
None of my VST plugins (*.dll files) work with LMMS after this update.
Can somebody confirm this ?

Other than that everything seems to be working
Thank you.

Unfortunately I cannot up-vote this time. I cannot work with LMMS and my plugins anymore, and I have to wait for the next update for a possible (?) fix.

Luckily I still have kubuntu 20.04 LTS in cases like this one

Regards
Vas

See above.

2 Likes

From what I read, it sounds permanent.

1 Like

Updated via terminal, then GRUB is booting to a black screen, without the option to run Windows 8.1, then straight to Linux. Panic!

Hi @elia,

As per the update announcement you just posted in:

1 Like

9 posts were split to a new topic: Firefox is not visible in sound applet

Install KDE and downgrade powerdevil? Lol, no, sorry, no other ideas. I haven’t used Gnome since version 2.

I had no issues on my work laptop running KDE.

Back with this now:

The printer may not exist or is unavailable at this time- not mentioned in the above suggestions - does it mean I’m the only one?

Сześć! Maybe you don’t have all dependencies, like gstreamer?
I deleted pulseaudio a few days ago and switched to pipewire, all was ok! Now in my system only this packets: pulseaudio-ctl, pulseaudio-qt, pulseeffects, gst-plugin-pipewire, manjaro-pipewire (pipewire, pipewire-alsa, pipewire-jack, pipewire-pulse).
ALso check/reinstall manjaro-alsa too.

1 Like

Found this, I’d the same problem a while ago, and it worked for me:

CUPS update need manual intervention

After you update your system, update your systemd services like this:

sudo systemctl disable --now org.cups.cupsd.socket
sudo systemctl disable --now org.cups.cupsd.service
sudo systemctl disable --now org.cups.cupsd.path
sudo systemctl enable --now cups.service
sudo systemctl enable --now cups.socket
sudo systemctl enable --now cups.path
2 Likes

This is a very interesting use case. I didnt know the VST plugins required wine, but looking at the documentation, I see thats the case.

I can run my updated wine to verify its working with

wine notepad.exe

My thought was that you would need to let wine run to update or install mono again as it seems to pull it in with new versions.

I saw this post that may be related to your problem: Installing LMMS - LMMS Wiki

I wonder if you could use Winetricks (in package manager) to “pin” the version of wine specifically for LMMS so it wouldnt update (wine can have many containers and each one can be a specific version). OR pin the wine version in your repository so it doesnt update. Last resort you could roll it back.

Actually, all I needed was:

sudo systemctl enable cups.service

Yet, I appreciate you reminding me I should dig more next time round wink

1 Like

No dualboot options anymore after update. Trying solution in first post doesn’t work due to having no access rights to modify etc/default/grub (yes, done with sudo).

And simply sudo nano /etc/default/grub ?

Thank you for your reply and help!

Yes, wine applications seem to run fine.
The problem is with Windows Dynamic Libraries, (dll) if the form of which a VST plugin is deployed. Maybe a missing library is the cause, but I don’t get any error messages at the command line.

I’ll check this post as soon as possible, and see.
Maybe some other people encounter the same problem. My hardware isn’t something special, so it is possible this be a common problem!

Somehow it didn’t work for me. So, I deleted all pulseaudio and pipewire-pulse, pipewire-alsa. Now I use only alsa and kmix and all is fine. As a temporary solution it is ok.

I hope pulseaudio will be fixed. Or downgraded.

Yes. That did work suprisingly. Tried after posting. Though sudo update-grub was needed to get the other entries back. Thanks.

From a “simple user” standpoint disabling such a feature (no matter for what reason) without informing the user before upgrading is an absolute nogo imho!

Erm…it was in the update announcement. If you didn’t read it, that’s on you. I learnt the hard way to read before I update.

3 Likes

So I have to go manually to this forum to get informations?
I think such important changes (breaking/changing/removing stuff) should somehow get to the user in a different way. More user friendly. At least something like a changelog shown befor installation within the gui update manager. Just my opinion.