[Stable Update] 2021-02-28 - Kernels, Plasma 5.21.1, Frameworks 5.79, Firefox, Thunderbird, Python

the other minor issue i noticed is that eevery time I reboot my volume is always muted and I have to unmute.

Update went more or less without issue, after I removed kwin-lowlatency and installed normal one. However, I am not able to access the Compositor settings now…image

I am getting this when I run systemsettings5 through terminal:

kf.kcmutils: This module has no valid entry symbol at all. The reason could be that it’s still using K_EXPORT_COMPONENT_FACTORY with a custom X-KDE-FactoryName which is not supported anymore

EDIT: This is how to fix it:

sudo rm /usr/local/share/kservices5/kwincompositing.desktop

I also replaced the -git versions with the regular version like so: sudo pacman -S --nodeps lib32-mesa mesa. Then I could update as usual.

I’ve been thinking, I probably switched to mesa-git when Cyberpunk 2077 came out and you needed to update mesa to mesa-git in order to play it straight away.

Everything is a-okay now :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You don’t have to restart the OS necessarily, you could just restart plasma for example with

kquitapp5 plasmashell ; sleep 2 ; kstart5 plasmashell > /dev/null 2>&1

or

DISPLAY=:0 plasmashell --replace > /dev/null 2>&1 & (assuming your display is on 0)

There’s a nasty rendering problem in KDE with my 2-monitor system. Described in more detail in the KDE Plasma section:
Flickering on one monitor of a 2-monitor setup

Thanks Manjaro team for all your hard work you put into making every update.

5.10, Gnome, nvidia proprietary drivers is working great. updated to 5.11 kernel and everything seems to be working fine.

As a side note that doesn’t really have to do with this particular update (not sure which update I started having the issue) but I was having issues with when I started wine games (like world of warcraft or Skyrim SE) I would get the dialog box stating that the application isn’t responding which if I clicked wait it would then proceed normally. After doing a little research I found that this was controlled by mutter many people had this issue so they made the timeout value configurable now. The default timeout is 5s, I bumped it up to 15s and now all my games launch fine.

The solution for this is to run this from the terminal:

gsettings set org.gnome.mutter check-alive-timeout 15000

(the value is in milliseconds so my example here would set it to 15 seconds, maybe overkill but I just don’t want to see that dialog box and I still got it for skyrim occasionally when I set it to 10 seconds lol, the default value is 5000 or 5 seconds.

I no longer have a preview in the window bar. But only affects the Wayland session.
KDE edition

I noticed that after updating to 5.11 my AMD GPU was getting very hot. It turned out that the GPU fan wasn’t running at all. I downgraded to 5.10 and the fan runs. Same with 5.9 - fan runs. I uninstalled 5.11 then reinstalled it, but the fan still doesn’t run. I’m staying on 5.10 for now.

All fine operation -wise, but I notice that On the KDE system settings the “Appearance” category has been left out in the cold!

Which AMD GPU do you use?
Some AMD GPUs have „Zero Noise“ Features.

My AMD GPU Turn on Fans at 60°C <

It’s an RX550.

Everything is fine except the icons in my KDE system tray seem to be much more blurry now. libappindicator-gtk3 seems to be installed as per the arch linux wiki’s recommendations. Not sure what happened.

Quick check everything works tried YT yep good, Geeqie was frozen for the last few weeks and I kept forgetting to mention that, use it only once maybe twice a week comparing before and after images tweaked in gimp, after this update it’s working again and I must try to not forget to mention items,
KDE LTS Intel i7 Update with TTY Dual screens
To all the Manjaro team
Thank You

Did you get the solution to work? I don’t remember using polkit rules before. Maybe I don’t remember as well either. Does it disable the function or does it remove the option? Just curious. Thanks.

System Settings > Appearance > Icons > Configure Icon Sizes > Panel

No problems here on Manjaro Cinnamon. :+1:

I do wish the “LTS” badge was shown on kernel 5.10 in Manjaro Settings Manager, though. That’s the only thing that still sticks out in my mind, and yes, it’s a nitpick. :crazy_face:

1 Like

Thanks unfortunately that doesn’t change the size of icons for the third-party apps on the bar. huge-icons — ImgBB

Problem seems solved after downgrading to kernel 5.9.16-1-MANJARO.
I was using 5.10

Same procedure as everytime: No problems on two XFCE systems. Thanks to manjaro team for the work.