[Stable Update] 2021-02-09 - Kernels, Gnome 40-Alpha, KDE Apps 20.12.2, Systemd, Mesa, LibreOffice

So, should be the case to change the following alert, by adding the fact that is possible to avoid PipeWire by installing PulseEffects legacy from official repo?
I’m refering to:

1 Like

Ok, then Pipewire is depedency for xdg-desktop-portal, because I did exactly this:

1. restored system with Timeshit to state about 1 month ago
  2. uninstalled Pulseeffects and then I made new system upgrade
  3. installed Pulseeffects-legacy

Maybe Pipewire is not mandatory, but xdg-desktop-portal is dependency for flatpak, so I really don’t see any difference. But as I wrote, problem is solved. I would just expected, that PulseEffects will be replaced by PulseEffects-legacy, when Pipewire for sound maybe is not really mature choice.

1 Like

PipeWire is a dependency for some packages which you have installed (in your case xdg-desktop-portal which is needed for flatpak); is not a core dependency for the OS itself.

To see which packages have pipewire as dependency:

dependency-checker pipewire

extra/gnome-remote-desktop depends on pipewire (built by Jan Alexander Steffens (heftig) <heftig@archlinux.org>)
extra/gst-plugin-pipewire depends on pipewire (built by Jan Alexander Steffens (heftig) <heftig@archlinux.org>)
extra/krfb depends on pipewire (built by Antonio Rojas <arojas@archlinux.org>)
extra/kwin depends on pipewire (built by Antonio Rojas <arojas@archlinux.org>)
extra/manjaro-pipewire depends on pipewire (built by Stefano Capitani <stefano@manjaro.org>)
extra/mutter depends on pipewire (built by Jan Alexander Steffens (heftig) <heftig@archlinux.org>)
extra/mutter-x11-scaling depends on pipewire (built by Stefano Capitani <stefano@manjaro.org>)
extra/mutter6 depends on pipewire (built by Maxime Gauduin <alucryd@archlinux.org>)
extra/pipewire-alsa depends on pipewire (built by Jan Alexander Steffens (heftig) <heftig@archlinux.org>)
extra/pipewire-jack depends on pipewire (built by Jan Alexander Steffens (heftig) <heftig@archlinux.org>)
extra/pipewire-pulse depends on pipewire (built by Jan Alexander Steffens (heftig) <heftig@archlinux.org>)
extra/xdg-desktop-portal depends on pipewire (built by Jan Alexander Steffens (heftig) <heftig@archlinux.org>)
community/kwin-git depends on pipewire (built by Manjaro Build Server <build@manjaro.org>)
community/manjaro-pipewire depends on pipewire (built by Stefano Capitani <stefano@manjaro.org>)
community/mutter-dev depends on pipewire (built by Stefano Capitani <stefano@manjaro.org>)
community/mutter-git depends on pipewire (built by Stefano Capitani <stefano@manjaro.org>)
community/pulseeffects make depends on pipewire (built by Filipe Laíns <lains@archlinux.org>)
community/wireplumber make depends on pipewire (built by David Runge <dvzrv@archlinux.org>)
community/xdg-desktop-portal-kde-git depends on pipewire (built by Manjaro Build Server <build@manjaro.org>)
community/xdg-desktop-portal-wlr depends on pipewire (built by Christian Rebischke <Chris.Rebischke@archlinux.org>)

Since I have Manjaro installed (two years) PipeWire has never been a mandatory package.

2 Likes

Adding extra info probably would be helpful, but I don’t have needed permission to do that, so this is a question to moderation/team not to me :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just to clarify here. What had happened is that for some non-apparent reason, KDE had decided its desktop for my left hand monitor was tiny, despite the monitor being at the right resolution. Thus all notifications and other desktop parts were happening within the tiny desktop. Changing monitor resolution twice fixed this, however I am back getting Nvidia driver crashes again occasionally, unsure if this is related or not.

I would consider mandatory is the antithesis of Linux freedom

The change of sound server is only required for pulseeffects. Users who do not have pulseeffects would not be asked to remove PulseAudio

Anyone who is unhappy with the changes brought by pulseeffects should contact the developer - GitHub - wwmm/pulseeffects

I totally agree, but some packages are effectively “mandatory”, eg the package glibc; as well the core packages for the basic functionality of the OS.

As reported above, PipeWire is also required for a bunch of other packages, but this, as you are also rightly pointing, indicate that is, in facts, a dependency and not a mandatory package :+1:

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Geeqie no longer works after the last update

A post was split to a new topic: Iridium asking for keyring password at every launch

I also don’t get what the fuss is about…

Was PulseEffects part of the iso at some point? If that is the case, iso maintainers should think twice before adding fragile packages.

Otherwise, those who install random stuff should be best prepared to deal with the consequences of it breaking.

LOL, nevermind then /smh @ package maintainers

1 Like

Nope. PulseEffects is an application for applying audio FX; is totally optional based on user preferences.

1 Like

I updated 13 different OS. No probs. Everything allright.

1 Like

I solve problem Latest Stable manjaro xfce boots to the black screen
Please fix this in the next update or add a solution to the wiki post, thank you.

I am also having geoclue problems since the update. On Gnome, after entering my password at the login screen, the display now stays black for several seconds (mouse cursor is visible) before loading the desktop. Looking in the logs, there are several errors referencing GeoClue2 failures which have only started to appear after the update.

Update: Disabling location services fixes the several seconds of black screen on login, which I can live with as a temporary fix. I’m not sure why geoclue is having trouble post-update.

Finally got around to updating my Manjaro Cinnamon system. Using the lesson learned from the last stable update, where people were having many issues with Nvidia drivers, I started the system in run-level 3, and used pamac update instead of the full desktop/GUI or pamac-gtk. Everything seems to be working perfectly well. Thanks again for a great update, team!

BTW, will there be a fresh Cinnamon disk image (.iso) to download soon? I see only 20.2 available, and that dates to December 8, 2020.

It was answered by the team somewhere. With ARM, Gnome and other works in progress, it’s not the n°1 priority right now.

2 posts were split to a new topic: Firejail security concerns

I am using the gnome desktop environment. Aftrer update i was unable to run the terminal, found a solution on the forum though. not sure how to add link to that post, so here it is

1 Run: gedit /etc/locale.gen and uncomment en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8
2 Run: sudo locale-gen
3 That’s it ! You should be able to open gnome-terminal now.

1 Like

Pacman installed all updates on my desktop, rebooted and all is running fine. Running latest stable recommended kernel.