[Stable Update] 2021-01-19 - Kernels, XFCE, Plasma, PulseAudio, Pipewire, Mesa, Firefox, Thunderbird, KDE Apps

KDE Plasma, kernel 5.4.89-1 smooth update and reboot. Everything is fine.

Great work, Everyone!

:+1:

When I reboot, my computer did not start.

I got the following message:

[FAILED] Failed to start Load Kernel Modules.

Then I had to press Ctrl + Alt + F2 to enter my computer and follow Philā€™s advice to compile the drivers.

Iā€™m using:

• VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GT218 [GeForce 8400 GS Rev. 3] (rev a2)
  • Kernel 5.4.89-1
  • nVidia drivers 340xx

After rebooting I was able to log in again. What a scare!

smooth update. I thought we are gonna get new kde kickoff redesign. where is it?

Hallo,

on my manjaro system the default program entries in the xfce start menu are missing (terminal, email, browser, etc.).

The entries are still available in the menu editor.
Click on the categories works fine.

Best regards,
VV

Updated with pamac in Gnome. No issues to report.

Thanks for the hard work, it is appreciated :+1: :heart:

Did pamac-manager update, no issues whatsoever running Cinnamon and Kernel 5.10.7, update of python-configobj fixed earlier problem, great work! :smiley: :+1:

Thank you so much! :clap: :relaxed:

Update was smooth. I also moved to the new 5.11 kernel release candidate. Now listening to music; nothing out of the ordinary so far.

Thanks a lot!

Had to remove two files one associated with qt4 the other pyjton2-pynacl-git (both AUR) - but once done and after a reboot - everything seems in order and working smoothly - noticed the thunderbolt icon has changed to a bold & blocky ā€˜?ā€™ - no idea why - much preferred the thunderbolt.

Update 21/01: Now experiencing ā€œFailed to load Network Managerā€ have rebooted my PC twice, same message. With no way to connect that device to the internet I will only be able to share screen shots from my phone.
Update 21/01 (2) went to a fallback version and at the prompted login my password is not accepted or actually it is but wonā€™t let me go further - just keeps asking for me to enter my password - entering the incorrect password informs me that the password is incorrect. Now running off a USB Drive to access files - tempted to do a fresh install - but have too many meeting today :frowning:

Iā€™m having this error after update while running prime-run glxinfo | grep -i vendor :

X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  152 (GLX)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  24 (X_GLXCreateNewContext)
  Value in failed request:  0x0
  Serial number of failed request:  39
  Current serial number in output stream:  40

Works fine without the prime-run part.

Update went smoothly on manjaro Gnome desktop.

But now seeing issues with my web cam.

Wife uses X11 session (for sharing screen in Zoom app - didnā€™t work under Wayland) and was unable to attend a zoom meeting.

I use Wayland and just tried both Cheese and Zoom. Webcam not coming up.
Webcam is a Logitech QuickCam Vision Pro (Iā€™d need to go up in the loft find the exact model from the box, this thing is ancient).

Checked journal with:

journalctl -p 3 -xb

Lots of repeated uvcvideo errors (cam uses uvc drivers obvs.):

uvcvideo: Failed to set UVC probe control : -110 (exp. 26).

and some pipewire errors:

pipewire[2686]:  Object: size 152, type Spa:Pod:Object:Param:Format (262147), id Spa:Enum:ParamId:EnumFormat (3)
pipewire[2686]:   Prop: key Spa:Pod:Object:Param:Format:mediaType (1), flags 00000000
pipewire[2686]:     Id 2        (Spa:Enum:MediaType:video)
pipewire[2686]:   Prop: key Spa:Pod:Object:Param:Format:mediaSubtype (2), flags 00000000
pipewire[2686]:     Id 1        (Spa:Enum:MediaSubtype:raw)
pipewire[2686]:   Prop: key Spa:Pod:Object:Param:Format:Video:format (131073), flags 00000000
pipewire[2686]:     Id 4        (Spa:Enum:VideoFormat:YUY2)
pipewire[2686]:   Prop: key Spa:Pod:Object:Param:Format:Video:size (131075), flags 00000000
pipewire[2686]:     Rectangle 1600x1200
pipewire[2686]:   Prop: key Spa:Pod:Object:Param:Format:Video:framerate (131076), flags 00000000
pipewire[2686]:     Choice: type Spa:Enum:Choice:None, flags 00000000 32 8
pipewire[2686]:       Fraction 5/1
pipewire[2686]:       Fraction 5/1
pipewire[2686]: (34.0 -> 38.0) negotiating -> error (no more input formats)

This is on Kernel 5.10.7-3 (prefer 5.10 because it seems to fix some pci power loss issues with my AMD RX570 graphics card.

Will investigate furtherā€¦

edit: if I unload and then load the kernel uvcvideo module cheese can start but soon flakes out again. Unable to record video. Cheese becomes unresponsive etc.

The german xfce settings management comes along now with claustrophobia ā€¦ :smile:
Should be: ā€œStandardanwendungenā€ and ā€œEinstellungsbearbeitungā€Einstellungsverwaltung

Everything went pretty fine comparing to the last one update :wink: Whatā€™s important to me, font rendering improved a lot. My Manjaro finally looks as well as it looked last year. Thanks!

I didnā€™t updated yet (Iā€™m doing some works and I wont risk to encounter the various issues reported about Xfce 4.16; I will performs the update in the next days), but iā€™d like to ask/suggest: what about deleting (obviously before do a backup) ~/.config/xfce4/panel/whiskermenu-4.rc ? Maybe this config file need to be recrate from sratch.

Rebooted - cheese was still keeping the webcam on despite force quitting the UI.
Experimented with:

v4l2-ctl --list-devices                                                                                              ā”€ā•Æ
UVC Camera (046d:09a6) (usb-0000:0b:00.3-2):
    /dev/video0
    /dev/video1

and

qv4l2 --device=/dev/video0

Was able to capture video with that.

But starting cheese I once again get pipewire errors, starting with

pipewire: params Spa:Enum:ParamId:EnumFormat: 0:0 Invalid argument (input format (no more input formats))

And ending with:

pipewire-media-session: can't link 34:35 -> 38:39: no more input formats
pipewire-media-session: error id:43 seq:169 res:-22 (Invalid argument): no more input formats

Seems like these updates definitely broke something in the video streaming stack.

edit: neither reverting to kernel 5.4 or tryin 5.11 made any difference.
Seems like pipewire is the problem?

Iā€™m driving KDE stable & LTS 5.4 kernel on an Intel i7
I always update with TTY & reboot sometimes twice mostly on big updates
with most updates Iā€™m amazed at the size of the update package
really impressed at the smoothness of the update process

To all the Manjaro team members you do beautiful work

Have a 'Best you can 2021 year ā€™

:sparkling_heart: THANK YOU :clap:

A post was split to a new topic: Stuck on vendor logo after update

A post was split to a new topic: [user will edit topic title]

I have two identical hard drives on the same computer with Manjaro KDE 5.20.5, and 5.4.89 LTS kernel. After this big update, It takes almost 30 seconds for the pamac to launch when I click on it, but it launches right away on the first hard drive on the same computer! I also rebooted with kernel 4.19, but makes no difference. Any thoughts?

Kernel: 5.4.89-1-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 10.2.1
Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.20.5 Distro: Manjaro Linux
CPU:
Info: Quad Core model: Intel Core i7-4790K bits: 64
Graphics:
Device-1: AMD Caicos PRO [Radeon HD 7450]

Maybe the hdd has bad blocks, check with:

smartctl -a /dev/sdx

You should also run a smrt long test:

smartctl --test=long /dev/sdx

cinnamon 5.4rt, all good, thanks!