[Stable Update] 2020-12-30 - Kernels, KDE, Cinnamon, LibreOffice, Python 3.9, Mesa 20.3.1

Not likely, the approach used to remove all the various versions of nvidia drivers was the “rip the bandaid” off approach. I was running the latest kernel at the time before this update (5.9 and running the latest nvidia drivers (455 series) and when the update was over all nvidia drivers had been removed and I was on the free drivers. In my case this wasn’t a problem other than performance and was then able to easily update to 5.10 and add the nvidia drivers back however on some of the newer nvidia hardware the free drivers don’t work in which case being forced onto them will make it so you don’t get a desktop and have to switch to a terminal to manually make sure all the old drivers got remvoved properly and then install the new 455 or if you can’t run the 455 drivers the legacy nvidia driver.

So basically read these forums as there are excellent step by step directions of what you have to do and make sure you have some time to mess around with it and a good backup before you start and then just do it.

1 Like

checkrebuild in the command line

Use verbose mode checkrebuild -v to get a bit more information about why these packages are flagged.

FYI, that’s deprecated and won’t build anymore. You most likely don’t need it, anyway.

2 Likes

firefox-nightly seems to always be ‘detected’ due to some libs under /opt

It’s just a recommendation I guess. Maybe a newly installed system would use btrfs as default filesystem?

1 Like

I have a hybrid card intel/Nvidia Quadro T2000 on lenovo thinkpad p1, and ran the update and installed kernel 5.10. I also ran the nvidia driver install command mentioned in the first post using mhwd. The problem is that it won’t load the nvidia driver.

I did not run into any booting trouble. The nvidia driver 455 is installed but somehow did not load.

I found a fixed that worked for me. I unstalled the 390 and 340 drivers in pacmac, then installed mhwd and mhwd-db, and ran the 5.4 kernel. Now I see the hybrid drivers and I can also connect to an external screen via nvidia gpu. Using kernel 5.10 does not seem to work with this hardware or perhaps combined with cinnamon. It’s strange because it is recent hardware.

After the update, I can’t use hdmi audio anymore. The image works, but neither the setting nor pavucontrol recognize the hdmi output.

I also can’t remove neither pulseaudio nor pipewire, because both are system dependencies (only pipewire-pulse)

kdesu meld

1 Like

I just ran this update and it automatically removed kernels 5.7 and 5.8, then installed kernel 5.10 without prompting. Has something changed as I am used to manually removing outdated kernels and picking which newer one I install.

I can confirm the new kernel 5.10.5 and the new nvidia driver 460 both fix the HDMI issue ,both are on testing branch and it will land on stable eventually.

1 Like

Thanks for the info, freggel.doe
Stable users have to wait until KIO gets udated to 5.78 as this update fixes this bug:
Dolphin & Krusader crash when selecting “Apply to All” in “Folder Already Exists” prompt.

Both 5.7 and 5.8 are EOL (End Of Life) and removed from the repos. I guess the package linux-latest did the change to 5.10. If you do not want that, you need to remove the package, but then: pay attention to the update announcements. They have the status of each kernel. If one goes EOL it needs to be removed (while not running it at the same time). Alternative: stay on the last LTS kernel.

I don’t have linux-latest installed precisely for the reason that I like to manually control my kernel versions, hence why I am very confused about why kernels were removed and added without my input.

Oh that’s interesting. Maybe some kind of newer logic in order to avoid braking the system when EOL kernels are gone. But that’s pure speculation from my side.

Yes. Ever heard of “all systems go!”? Well, it can’t go if they’re braked, it is to stop them from braking or somehow beaing brakee. :wink::grin:

With some trepidation I tried to update but encountered the nvidia driver issues. Installed Linux 5.10 which removed old driver versions, ran the update again and encountered no issues. Running on an Asus 530 laptop. Thanks to all for their hard work during these troubling times.

3 Likes

4 posts were split to a new topic: Tuned 2.15.0-1 broken by python3.9.1-1

Thanks for your work.
This update broke something for BCM4352 (network-broadcom-wl).
xfce Icon says «device is not ready».
dmesg | grep wl told some «operation not permitted» somewhere (sorry I didn’t save that).
So I’ve updated kernel to 5.9 and now is working.
If any info is needed I can reboot 5.4 and log it.

Just a reminder: That kernel is EOL. If you have to use a newer kernel checkout 5.10.

5.10 have problems with Nvidia drivers and btrfs so … it is a choice. Until they fix it I will stay with 5.9.