[Stable Update] 2020-12-30 - Kernels, KDE, Cinnamon, LibreOffice, Python 3.9, Mesa 20.3.1

After this update, Firefox has a weird problem. It does not show any space between words in tab titles, popup menus and even in the text of the preference pages. Also, typing a search item in the address bar does not show spaces although after hitting enter, the spaces show up in duckduckgo search engine.
Any idea?
[edit] Here are some details of my laptop:

Install the linux-latest dummy package and your will always rollover to the newest stable kernel. Linux latest is currently at 5.10-1

1 Like

Now a day later I’m a bit confused on how to proceed. It asks me to update “manjaro-release” to 20.2-1 (despite that already being current version) telling me that the lib32, lib32 utils, mhwd and opencl from Nvidia driver 455.45.01 have to be retrieved (this is the only thing it lists). Is it save to update these packages (knowing I have to stay at 430xx), do I have to update the manjaro-release package and rollback the drivers to 430xx or should I ignore the update?

And if I need to keep it this way, how can I avoid having to roll back my drivers after every future update? For every kernel update it was mentioned, that’s ok. But for every normal update would be a pain in the ass often. Can I put the manjaro-release package in pacmans ignore list or will it also contain other things with future updates?

Everything seemed OK for a couple of days, however today I ran into this bug :

Dolphin & Krusader crash when selecting “Apply to All” in “Folder Already Exists” prompt.

Terminal output after crash: Segmentation fault (core dumped)

At the boot, I’m getting the “Failed to start Network Manager”, “Dependency failed for Network Manager Wait Online”, “Failed to start User Login Management”, “Failed to start Load Kernel Module drm.”
I’ve been updating the Manjaro on regular basis.

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=430374

1 Like

Hello. The update dialog is asking me to do the following:

[ALPM-SCRIPTLET] >>please run /usr/bin/cups-genppdupdate
[ALPM-SCRIPTLET] >>and restart cups daemon

I tried opening a terminal and entering the command:

/usr/bin/cups-genppdupdate

And I received:

No Gutenprint PPD files to update.

And then I entered:

restart cups daemon

And I received:

bash: restart: command not found

How should I proceed?

Do I need to follow this first

and then do what the ALPM-SCRIPTLET says?

Thank you.

warning: sndio: local (20180120-1) is newer than community (1.7.0-3)

their version numbers seem rather different. should I force downgrade, because it may be actually upgrade afterall?

1 Like

Installed it. How do I use it? reb[tab] only summoned “reboot” to cli :smiley: is there a command I can actually run to detect the need?

1 Like

Had the same issue. Turns out it is checkrebuild instead of rebuildcheck or whateva :sweat_smile:

It should trigger by itself as a post upgrade hook anyway I think.

Thats not a command per se, just thing to do for you. To restart cups:

$ systemctl restart cups

If you’ve already rebooted, that would be moot though.

1 Like
[deemon@Zen ~]$ checkrebuild 
foreign	codelite
foreign	gns3-converter
foreign	gns3-gui
foreign	gns3-server
foreign	libselinux
foreign	libunity
foreign	packettracer
foreign	piper-git
foreign	python-aiohttp-cors-gns3
foreign	python-aiohttp-gns3
foreign	python-async-timeout-gns3
foreign	python-multidict-gns3
foreign	python-prompt_toolkit-gns3
foreign	python-sentry_sdk
foreign	python-zipstream-gns3
foreign	wattman-gtk-git
foreign	zoom
[deemon@Zen ~]$ checkrebuild --help
/usr/bin/checkrebuild: illegal option -- -

now what? what does it mean? that I should upgrade all those packages or just that it detected and checked those packages? also there is no help available :smiley:

edit: testcase… started zoom and it started just fine without any rebuild need.

Yeah, that utility just does what it’s name says, it checks. Now I think you have to rebuild those packages. Like in manually reinstalling them the same way you did before.

Also apparently sometimes it flags some packages like needing a rebuild, but it isn’t the case. So it’s up to encountering a problem or not I guess…

1 Like

For each of the lines, for each packasge, you nead to tun pamac build.

For example:

pamac build codelite

Or that’s what I had to do anyway.

1 Like

Did rebuild couple of them. Only some of them disappeared from the next checkrebuild (codelite), some remained there even after clean rebuild (zoom).

1 Like

I have read, somewhere on the forums, that it can happen that they don’t disappear. I don’t know why this happens. But if they disappear this is what you want and all’s good. (AFAIK anyway.)

1 Like

Normal booting using 5.10 kernel wasn’t possible till today. Had to choose manually 5.9.

Simple solution:

sudo pacman -S linux510

Then reboot. It seems, that pacman had repaired grub/init/system-d whatever.

I’m happy now again. Hopefully this was my worst desaster on Manjaro forever :wink:

1 Like

Ah man, I love hearing success stories. And to achieve that success…it’s a wonderful experience!

1 Like

Do we have to change in /etc/systemd/homed.conf from ext4 to btrfs?

Apart from the boot partition, all is in ext4 on my computer…
Nevertheless, this line is commented both in the homed.conf and in its pacnew file.

2 Likes

Not likely, the approach used to remove all the various versions of nvidia drivers was the “rip the bandaid” off approach. I was running the latest kernel at the time before this update (5.9 and running the latest nvidia drivers (455 series) and when the update was over all nvidia drivers had been removed and I was on the free drivers. In my case this wasn’t a problem other than performance and was then able to easily update to 5.10 and add the nvidia drivers back however on some of the newer nvidia hardware the free drivers don’t work in which case being forced onto them will make it so you don’t get a desktop and have to switch to a terminal to manually make sure all the old drivers got remvoved properly and then install the new 455 or if you can’t run the 455 drivers the legacy nvidia driver.

So basically read these forums as there are excellent step by step directions of what you have to do and make sure you have some time to mess around with it and a good backup before you start and then just do it.

1 Like