[Stable Update] 2020-12-30 - Kernels, KDE, Cinnamon, LibreOffice, Python 3.9, Mesa 20.3.1

Doing sudo mhwd -a pci nonfree 0300 failed on me but executing sudo mhwd -f -a pci nonfree 0300 did work :slight_smile:

can you return

sudo mhwd-kernel -li
sudo mhwd -li
sudo ls /etc/mkinitcpio.d/*.preset

@philm
some users have kept old preset , with old module nvidia and kernel

Very nice update, but it is a pity that they have eliminated kernel 5.7 (it was the best for my PC), with kernels> 5.9 I notice that the microprocessor works a little more forced.
On the other hand, I have an nvidia geforce 210 GPU and starting with kernel 5.8 (including 5.9 and 5.10), it doesn’t matter which browser I use (firefox or chromium at most 4 tabs and watching a video at the same time) when watching videos, approximately from the fifth video, manjaro becomes very very slow (luckily, using the POWER key on the keyboard I can turn it off and restart); also, there are times that when entering other applications (eg: appearance, configuration manager, etc) the system hangs, here the POWER key does not work and I have to restart the system with the CPU RESET button. I clarify that with Kernel 5.4 (up to 5.7) using free drivers or proprietary drivers it is very rare that the system freezes or hangs.

When I installed by Architect after downloading packages:
"error: confuse: signature from Baptiste Jonglez
baptiste@bitsoftnetworks.org” is marginal trust
File /var/cache/pacman/pkg/confuse-3.3-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst is corrupted (invalid or corrupted package(PGP signature)
Do you wants to delete it? [Y/n] error: failed to commit transaction or corrupted package)

Running smoothly apart from telegram-desktop crashing when trying to view chats ever since this update

UPDATE: it runs now, apparently i needed to install telegram-qt now (running on kde plasma). still has the same output about setting the real-time priority

output:

$ telegram-desktop

(process:6481): Telegram-WARNING **: 13:39:53.381: Unfortunately, GTK integration conflicts with qgtk2 platformtheme and style. Therefore, QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME and QT_STYLE_OVERRIDE will be unset.
Telegram-Message: 13:39:53.382: This can be ignored by setting TDESKTOP_I_KNOW_ABOUT_GTK_INCOMPATIBILITY environment variable to any value, however, if qgtk2 theme or style is used, this will lead to a crash.
Telegram-Message: 13:39:53.382: GTK integration can be disabled by setting TDESKTOP_DISABLE_GTK_INTEGRATION to any value. Keep in mind that this will lead to clipboard issues and tdesktop will be unable to get settings from GTK (such as decoration layout, dark mode & more).

(process:6481): Telegram-WARNING **: 13:39:53.383: Application was built without embedded fonts, this may lead to font issues.
[ALSOFT] (EE) Failed to set real-time priority for thread: Operation not permitted (1)
error: : cannot open
[1]    6481 abort (core dumped)  telegram-desktop

After updating, I’m unable to change screen brightness.

$ mhwd -li
> Installed PCI configs:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              NAME               VERSION          FREEDRIVER           TYPE
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
       video-linux            2018.05.04                true            PCI
      video-nvidia            2020.11.30               false            PCI

Warning: No installed USB configs!

Also tried all the solutions mentioned in this post Can't adjust screen brightness (Lenovo Laptop, NVIDIA, XFCE) but none worked.

please help! Thanx

Pretty long thread of possible issues but I am happy to report that the updates went without a hitch. Great work. “Happy” New Year everyone.
AMD RX570

Thanks, solved it for me too, although not sure this is a good “solution”. Something is wrong with grub-vanilla.

In case you are using the manjaro repository application, I would advise you to uninstall it and try by downloading the application from the official telegram website (https://desktop.telegram.org/) and to the tsetup.2.5.1.tar file. xz unzip it in your user folder (where you choose) and run the TELEGRAM file (the launcher will automatically be added to the system and it will update itself to the latest version).
I clarify: I use this version in XFCE and it works perfectly

UPDATE: it runs now, apparently i needed to install telegram-qt now (running on kde plasma). still has the same output about setting the real-time priority
[/quote]
output:

$ telegram-desktop

(process:6481): Telegram-WARNING **: 13:39:53.381: Unfortunately, GTK integration conflicts with qgtk2 platformtheme and style. Therefore, QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME and QT_STYLE_OVERRIDE will be unset.
Telegram-Message: 13:39:53.382: This can be ignored by setting TDESKTOP_I_KNOW_ABOUT_GTK_INCOMPATIBILITY environment variable to any value, however, if qgtk2 theme or style is used, this will lead to a crash.
Telegram-Message: 13:39:53.382: GTK integration can be disabled by setting TDESKTOP_DISABLE_GTK_INTEGRATION to any value. Keep in mind that this will lead to clipboard issues and tdesktop will be unable to get settings from GTK (such as decoration layout, dark mode & more).

(process:6481): Telegram-WARNING **: 13:39:53.383: Application was built without embedded fonts, this may lead to font issues.
[ALSOFT] (EE) Failed to set real-time priority for thread: Operation not permitted (1)
[1]    6481 abort (core dumped)  telegram-desktop

[/quote]

Experienced the same problem with noto-fonts other experienced. Downgraded to 20190926 which displays the fonts correctly.

1 Like

One thing I notice, though I don’t know how it could be related. I was using Chromium snap (from Canonical, I think) - after installing this update (2020-12-30) the bookmark folders in the bookmark toolbar stopped rendering - only an empty drop down was shown. Also when clicking in the toolbar/location bar Chromium was blocking for like 10-15 seconds then starting to work again. The missing bookmarks folders were not rendered, though. I tried to restart the computer - same problem.
I then removed the Chromium snap and installed Manjaro’s Chromium - problem not happening with Manjaro’s build.
I also noticed extra sluggishness with Slack (snap) - startup time seems slower than before (takes up to 15 seconds to show up). Not sure about that one, though.

Exactly the same issue and message. NVIDIA driver was turned on AMD CPU, ASUS board. I had no issues with previous updates. I can’t manage to boot up now with any other Kernel. I’ve tried with 5.7 and 5.4.

Just performed an incremental update on Manjaro XFCE using Ryzen 3600 and RTX 3070 on X570 board. Upgraded from 5.9 kernel to 5.10 after I confirmed the update was successful, and that was also fine. Thanks for the hard work. I was worried this update would cause some issues after seeing threads on Reddit. But happy to confirm it was all fine after all :slight_smile:

I already tried france, germany, usa, italy… none of them has worked…

@mikronimo, try this:

sudo pacman-mirrors --country all --api --protocols all --set-branch stable && sudo pacman -Syyu

This resets your mirrors and initiates the update process.

2 Likes

Is it the Pamac update/upgrade lately that changed something in the UI? For the second time a big update was sneaked in while I was installing an application, that aborted with an error. After rebooting I was met with an kernel panic.

Now I learned how to fix that, with an update, overwriting an gstreamer file and installing LTS kernel, with chroot and livebooting :grin: … thanks forum!

@RichardF77
Here’s how I fixed it. I was on kernel 5.9.11 before the update

1. Restored from Timeshift backup.
  2. Went into Pamac and uninstalled ALL the Nvidia drivers . This uninstalls the nvidia 450 drivers etc. and mhwd.
  3. Did an update in Pamac - which installed the new 5.10 kernel and other updates.
  4. Rebooted - Now it boots into KDE SDDM correctly
  5. Go back into Pamac and install mhwd
  6. Then go into Manjaro Settings Manager and auto install proprietary Nvidia drivers. This installs the 455 nvidia drivers etc.
  7. Reboot and all is good.

Hope this helps.

I published a way on how to compile old Nvidia drivers on your own.

5 Likes

Dear all,

what I can told about my manjaro-kde:

the only possibility to boot is via Grub using only the 5.9x img

I have lost some hours last nght including timeshift. Wasnt funny :confused:

Hopefully 2021 will be greater :wink:

Same here, exactly the same message. I however don’t use Nvidia graphics, Intel HD here. I am only in my second week of using Manjaro/Linux full time so I am clueless as to what to do. I don’t have a backup (lesson learnt…)

Can anyone give me some pointers on how to resolve this?