[Stable Update] 2020-10-01 - Kernels, Mesa, KDE-Framework, Deepin, Systemd, Pamac, Xorg-Server, Qt

Try cleaning your cache:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/KDE#Clean_cache_to_resolve_upgrade_problems

Update seemed to go flawlessly.

Iā€™ve had three hard freezes since though, one a day for first 3 days AND my keyboard seems to keep ā€˜pausingā€™ when typing.

Iā€™m in the awkward position of just having rebuilt/upgraded my desktop PC, about a month ago, so itā€™s hard to tease out hardware issues vs software update issues.

I think the freezes were due to a poorly seated graphics card - hopefully Iā€™ve sorted that.

The keyboard thoughā€¦I can be typing away happily and then suddenly it stops responding and several characters are lost, not buffered.

Iā€™m using an Apple extended aluminium keyboard thatā€™s 11+ years old so it might just be dying. Seemed to start after last stable updates though so Iā€™m throwing this out here in case anyone else has noticed the problem. (And watching the journal while I type.)

Iā€™d put money on it being the age of the keyboard except I also have an 18yo Extended Apple keyboard thatā€™s still going strong =D

Using manjaro Gnome stable.

EDIT: Update:
Still have freezes. This time after waking from sleep.
Get this repeated immediately before freeze

Oct 06 13:37:33 zen kernel: pcieport 0000:00:03.1: AER: PCIe Bus Error: severity=Corrected, type=Data Link Layer, (Transmitter ID)
Oct 06 13:37:33 zen kernel: pcieport 0000:00:03.1: AER:   device [1022:1453] error status/mask=00001100/00006000
Oct 06 13:37:33 zen kernel: pcieport 0000:00:03.1: AER:    [ 8] Rollover              
Oct 06 13:37:33 zen kernel: pcieport 0000:00:03.1: AER:    [12] Timeout 

Already a kernel bug report (bugzilla id=201517) for a few years so it would appear this is my hardware rather than recent updates.

The update didnā€™t go as flawlessly for me. I have a problem when login in unrelated to the solutions posted. Created a post for it.

Because packaging is hard.

9 posts were split to a new topic: Pacman says ā€œthere is nothing to doā€

Thank you for your suggestion, unfortunately it didnā€™t work :frowning:

Edit:

Cita System:    Kernel: 5.7.19-2-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 10.2.0 Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.19.5 
           Distro: Manjaro Linux 
Machine:   Type: Laptop System: LENOVO product: 81FB v: 330S-15ARR serial: <filter> 
           Mobo: LENOVO model: LNVNB161216 v: 31900002 WIN serial: <filter> UEFI: LENOVO v: 7WCN37WW 
           date: 05/22/2019 
Battery:   ID-1: BAT1 charge: 25.9 Wh condition: 26.7/30.0 Wh (89%) model: LENOVO BASE-BAT 
CPU:       Topology: Dual Core model: AMD Ryzen 3 2200U with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx bits: 64 
           type: MT MCP arch: Zen L2 cache: 1024 KiB 
           flags: avx avx2 lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm bogomips: 19969 
           Speed: 2070 MHz min/max: 1600/2500 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1556 2: 1603 3: 1576 4: 1591 
Graphics:  Device-1: AMD Raven Ridge [Radeon Vega Series / Radeon Vega Mobile Series] vendor: Lenovo 
           driver: amdgpu v: kernel bus ID: 03:00.0 
           Device-2: Syntek Integrated Camera type: USB driver: uvcvideo bus ID: 3-1:2 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.9 driver: amdgpu FAILED: ati unloaded: modesetting 
           resolution: 1366x768~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: AMD RAVEN (DRM 3.37.0 5.7.19-2-MANJARO LLVM 10.0.1) v: 4.6 Mesa 20.1.8 
           direct render: Yes 
Audio:     Device-1: AMD Raven/Raven2/Fenghuang HDMI/DP Audio vendor: Lenovo driver: snd_hda_intel 
           v: kernel bus ID: 03:00.1 
           Device-2: AMD Raven/Raven2/FireFlight/Renoir Audio Processor driver: N/A bus ID: 03:00.5 
           Device-3: AMD Family 17h HD Audio vendor: Lenovo driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel 
           bus ID: 03:00.6 
           Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.7.19-2-MANJARO 
Network:   Device-1: Realtek RTL8821CE 802.11ac PCIe Wireless Network Adapter vendor: Lenovo 
           driver: rtl8821ce v: N/A port: 2000 bus ID: 01:00.0 
           IF: wlp1s0 state: up mac: <filter> 
Drives:    Local Storage: total: 1.82 TiB used: 233.67 GiB (12.5%) 
           ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Seagate model: ST2000LM007-1R8174 size: 1.82 TiB 
Partition: ID-1: / size: 191.25 GiB used: 15.26 GiB (8.0%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda7 
           ID-2: /home size: 1.31 TiB used: 218.41 GiB (16.3%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda8 
Swap:      ID-1: swap-1 type: partition size: 8.01 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) dev: /dev/sda6 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 50.5 C mobo: N/A gpu: amdgpu temp: 50 C 
           Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A 
Info:      Processes: 218 Uptime: 16m Memory: 6.76 GiB used: 2.31 GiB (34.2%) Init: systemd Compilers: 
           gcc: 10.2.0 Packages: 1308 Shell: Bash v: 5.0.18 inxi: 3.1.05

Hi there, my issue with this update was the black screen after updating Nvidia Driver non-free. Before I usually was able to clear out all problems in manjaro with this forum, through only reading.

http://ix.io/2zKI

But after this latest update am toally disrupted, cause the whole night yesterday and the one before I had tried to follow different gustos of the solution quest to why the screen went black after dating up from 440xx series to 450xx. http://mhwd install 440xx
Later the day I got all 450xx unqinstalled and ā€œmaybeā€ Iā€™ve also managed to leave none of configs etc or any disturbing code. http://ix.io/2zKI
But it did still not show the normal login splash screen.
So, I researched further till I solved the problem of not having GUI login with enabling the acpid.service.

But then after I checked some settings and restarted it went black again, though the enabled and activated acpid.service was running and all other stuff seemed to be not the cause as well.

I had left the Manjaro stay behind the dual boot and I further used the Windows 10 today.
THen while am writing here I started into Linux Manjaro and the Login screen at least appeared and the grub while updated it stays till now.
But it left me really clueless, so I want to try to brin a little light into the tunnel. After having checked the systemd, the loginctl systemctl, journalctl and so forth, havenā€™t yet seen enough.
My specs I have added to my sig.
Here some movements, trying to post it chronologically:
Start xserver
or
then Ive uninstalled 440xx, checked for the installed rests and checked the available packages for Nvidia
Installed and the startup screen came back.
Lol, I was totallz confused and somehow after a restart nothing worked unless the shell console started with F2 pkus Ctrl and looked up status of acpid.service again
Anyway. If its not working again any day, I will write about it more thoroughly

Which Desktop Environment are you running? If you are running KDE have you tried the solution provided above?

1 Like

@philm Is there a plan when this fix will be in an update? I mean Iā€™m not sure if Iā€™d be affected by it as I use XFCE, but itā€™s glib after all and I use linked directories to a serverā€¦

1 Like

3 posts were split to a new topic: 2.66 regression: Unable to copy files on a ZFS volume configured with noatime

A post was split to a new topic: Pavumeter doesnā€™t start

no, try this:
sudo killall -9 plasmashell

A post was merged into an existing topic: Issues with pinging websites by DNS name

No issues here, thank you!

what symptom was it? canā€™t count how many blackscreen type of issues now appear, but i try softer methods first:

plasmeshell --replace
kwin_x11 --replace

and the brand new
loginctl unlock-sessions which is able to recover all apps. I donā€™t kill apps anymore and i have tons of nvidia issues.

recently noticed this issue of frozen desktop with mouse moving. Itā€™s as easy to replicate as pressing Win+L. I found this in KDE Neon, Kubuntu Groovy, and now Manjaro. All of them have same recent plasma+framework. Also windows get not only emptied as before, but transparent.
The good news is yesterday update of Groovy Beta brought the fix! (and no, eventcalendar didnā€™t make difference).

Went just fine on KDE (intel/nvidia desktop) and XFCE (dell laptop)

Hi all,
What do I do with this?

```
mhwd --install pci Your450Family
```

where `Your450Family` is obviously one of `video-hybrid-amd-nvidia-440xx-prime` **OR** `video-nvidia-440xx` that you noted above

just how do I know what ā€œfamilyā€ I have?
By the way, none of the utils are on my systemā€¦is that normal?

[melissa@Avalon ~]$ pacman -Q nvidia-450xx-utils
error: package 'nvidia-450xx-utils' was not found
[melissa@Avalon ~]$ pacman -Q nvidia-440xx-utils
error: package 'nvidia-440xx-utils' was not found

Melissa

Great, have a shovel handy? I may need to dig her up. :frowning_face:
I asked how to do it the Linux wayā€¦without having to consult a mediumā€¦but thanks anywayā€¦

3 Likes

mhwd -l will give you available configs for your system.

1 Like

Thank ou so much :smile_cat:
:rose: Melissa :rose:

1 Like