[Stable Update] 2020-09-11 - Kernels, Gnome 3.36.6, MHWD, Pamac, VirtualBox

Got a signature error with updating mhwd. Refreshed my keys, got one error, but the update worked afterwards.

Linux54, manjaro gnome vanilla

Iā€™ve got this error:
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: xhci_pci
in fact xhci_pci is regarding to USB 3.x controller but after reboot I couldnā€™t use my keyboard at the login screen so new update seems useless for me. I hope new patch comes. Maybe problem is coming from different cause.

Install the firmware from AUR upd72020x-fw or wait unit manjaro developers patch this in the next stable Kernel (itā€™s exist also on the 5.9 RC5)

1 Like

I did this: did not updated linux-latest-ndiswrapper in pamac-gui and the update process worked. I marked it not to update. If you need ndiswrapper keep using linux57.

1 Like

In my case, I found that linux-latest-ndiswrapper wasnā€™t a dependency of any other package on my computer:

$ pactree -r linux-latest-ndiswrapper
linux-latest-ndiswrapper

So I simply removed linux-latest-ndiswrapper from my computer and ran an ordinary update:

sudo pacman -R linux-latest-ndiswrapper
sudo pacman -Syyu

After rebooting, all is well.

I see that @philm maintains linux-latest-ndiswrapper. Perhaps he will fix this problem for users who actually need the package.

3 Likes

the N00b way is to run manjaro-settings-manager, but take a backup first:

:man_shrugging:

1 Like

Did you install/compile your own version of CUPS?

If yes:

• remove that and install the standard one if the bug why you did so is incorporated into the current version
    OR
  • File a bug with the package maintainer.

If no: open a new issue here and provide more info.

1 Like

Bug has been filed already just be patient and use the workaround in the meantimeā€¦

1 Like

I ardently use the 4.4. I read that the driver has to be removed (if I read correctly)ā€¦this would render the 4.4 unusableā€¦any workarounds that would satisfy both paths: updating and using the 4.4?
Thanks
Melissa

This worked for me, thanks. Though I found that a reboot wasnā€™t necessary.

1 Like

If 4.4 means youā€™re talking about the nVidia drivers: I had no problems just staying on the 440 lineā€¦

2 Likes

Thanks, everything OK!!!

Hello Fabby,

Thanks for your reply. I just use the CUPS packages provides by Manjaro Team so, following your advice, I opened a new issue here.

Have a nice day.
Kind regards.

This ISO now works on Ventoy which is cool.

It cannot be installed easily without mouse. Current bluez wonā€™t connect to wireless mouse (known issue). Keyboard time? Trying to downgrade to bluez-git before the actual installation is wow, so hard. Try to add AUR, then install the package, then reset the bluetooth connection (which is claming to be connected but itā€™s not). Keyboard control is terrible, you donā€™t see what object is selected, Ctrl-Tab doesnā€™t work, Ctrl-PgUp/Down doesnā€™t overwrite inner UI objects so it works only sometimes, no ā€œAlt keysā€, no Enter as default action (Space needs to be used for buttons even if focused and selected). Iā€™d think Linux would be excellent in this, but itā€™s opposite.

Manjaro has the best partitioning, but i couldnā€™t choose partition for EFI. I would like to use one EFI for Windows, one EFI for Linux.

1 Like

Hello, after updating yesterday I couldnā€™t login. I followed the known issues advice (adding systems.unit=rescue.target in the boot options) but I get the error message ā€œcannot open access to consol, the root account is lockedā€ afterwards. How do I solve this?

I am having two problems with the update (one of which I solved and will post below this) and this one I havenā€™t figured out. For some reason after the update my system will never go up from itā€™s idle speed (800Mhz) to itā€™s turbo speed (3.3 to 3.6Ghz). Iā€™ve checked the speed numbers using a number of ways (with both tools like turbostat and cpupower as well as empirically with building code and using the web browser). The cpu performance profile/governor is set to performance and cpupower-gui says that the minimum speed (800Mhz) and the maximum speed (2.7Ghz) are correct. At this point Iā€™m not sure what to do next.

The second problem was that tigervnc broke because it included references to selinux specific packages and directories. This was broken in upstream version 1.11.0-2 and is fixed by picking up the 1.11.0-4 package from Arch. More details are in the arch Linux forum post titled " TigerVNC does not start after update" (unfortunately I canā€™t link to it).

see this

4 Likes

Adding intel_pstate=active to the kernel command line worked. Thanks for a simple fix!
Also worth noting that you can get this change to be permanent by editing the /etc/default/grub file and adding intel_pstate=active to the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT variable.

2 Likes

can you report

inxi -MCza
1 Like