[Stable Update] 2020-08-28 - Kernels, Systemd, PAM, PAMBASE, KDE-git, Deepin, Pamac, Nvidia 450.66, LibreOffice 7.0

Any console feedback you can grab-n-post? It would help us figure this out…

2 Likes

Hi folks @gan and @ButterflyMelissa, thanks for your answers… @gan, i try to do what you indicate to me, but it fails in the step of refresh-keys… i suspect that’s because i’m behind a proxy , i try to configure pacman to honor-http-proxy like here (i cant add links to the post) but nothing…

I can’t let you here the console feedback…i have a message from system that says i cannot upload media files to the forum
Any idea…i think the trouble still in the refresh-keys behind proxy…could you help me with that??? Thanks

I installed Manjaro 19.0.2 gnome…updated it…now it is version 20.1, which is not released yet!!
HOW??!!

Heyyyy!!! Ready, its solved…thanks…i dont know what i did…but its solved

@gan Thanks again… do you wanna say me something else???

Hi everybody…recently i tried to add some images and links in my posts here but the system says i can not…any idea why?? Thanks by the way

is for all , links and images permission starts at level TL2 (member) - topics exist on forum on this subject

1 Like

Please post terminal output with preformatted text formatting, not images.

1 Like

Ahhh!!! Ok, thanks… :rofl:

Thanks!!!

Sorry, i didnt research about it, my bad… Thanks

Simply, I replied to you after you edited your previous post. So my reply didn’t need anymore.
And… if, in the future, you want to post terminal output, you can copy it from the terminal with CTRL+SHIFT + C
:wink:

As @papajoke did, I have launched before the update:

grep -E "pam_tally|pam_cracklib" /etc/pam.d/*
/etc/pam.d/lightdm-autologin:auth        required    pam_tally.so file=/var/log/faillog onerr=succeed
/etc/pam.d/passwd:#password	required	pam_cracklib.so difok=2 minlen=8 dcredit=2 ocredit=2 retry=3
/etc/pam.d/system-login:auth       required   pam_tally2.so        onerr=succeed file=/var/log/tallylog
/etc/pam.d/system-login:account    required   pam_tally2.so

and before the update, I have uncommented them:

grep -E "pam_tally|pam_cracklib" /etc/pam.d/*
/etc/pam.d/lightdm-autologin:#auth        required    pam_tally.so file=/var/log/faillog onerr=succeed
/etc/pam.d/passwd:#password	required	pam_cracklib.so difok=2 minlen=8 dcredit=2 ocredit=2 retry=3
/etc/pam.d/system-login:#auth       required   pam_tally2.so        onerr=succeed file=/var/log/tallylog
/etc/pam.d/system-login:#account    required   pam_tally2.so

The update has been now made in TTY2 and reading:

I am wondering if I should only reimplace “pam_tally2.so [and pam_tally.so] by pam_faillock.so” or reimplace the whole new lines namely:

1. in /etc/pam.d/lightdm-autologin, should I reimplace the whole line of the .pacnew file, which is the following:
auth        required    pam_faillock.so preauth

instead of this line in my actual file actual

#auth        required    pam_tally.so file=/var/log/faillog onerr=succeed

or should I keep merge them into one of these potential new lines?

auth        required    pam_faillock.so preauth file=/var/log/faillog onerr=succeed
auth        required    pam_faillock.so file=/var/log/faillog onerr=succeed
  1. in /etc/pam.d/system-login, I would uncomment the following lines and reimplace, as @papajoke wrot,e pam_tally2.so by pam_faillock.so:
#auth       required   pam_tally2.so        onerr=succeed file=/var/log/tallylog
#account    required   pam_tally2.so 
  1. in this same file, namely /etc/pam.d/system-login, I would add user_readenv=1 present in the .pacnew file to the line of my actual system-login file:
session    required   pam_env.so

Could someone please confirm me that I am right on these 3 different points?
Thanks a lot for this update and for the help!

1 Like

Kernel 5.8 is missing some xhci_hcd thing, which makes my USB bluetooth dongle not work:

Summary
$ dmesg -W
[229412.458385] usb 3-3: new low-speed USB device number 4 using xhci_hcd
[229412.581729] usb 3-3: device descriptor read/64, error -71
[229413.021724] usb 3-3: device descriptor read/64, error -71
[229413.255038] usb 3-3: new low-speed USB device number 5 using xhci_hcd
[229413.378393] usb 3-3: device descriptor read/64, error -71
[229413.608383] usb 3-3: device descriptor read/64, error -71
[229413.715066] usb usb3-port3: attempt power cycle
[229414.771683] usb 3-3: new low-speed USB device number 6 using xhci_hcd
[229414.772017] usb 3-3: Device not responding to setup address.
[229414.978718] usb 3-3: Device not responding to setup address.
[229415.185005] usb 3-3: device not accepting address 6, error -71
[229415.311670] usb 3-3: new low-speed USB device number 7 using xhci_hcd
[229415.312002] usb 3-3: Device not responding to setup address.
[229415.518718] usb 3-3: Device not responding to setup address.
[229415.724996] usb 3-3: device not accepting address 7, error -71
[229415.725036] usb usb3-port3: unable to enumerate USB device

A post was split to a new topic: Difference between KDE minimal and normal installation

So what has it been, 2 weeks, and we still don’t have the latest version of Firefox? Let’s not even mention how outdated Thunderbird currently is right now, or how long it took to get the latest plasma release, etc. It seems like Manjaro is becoming the Debian (as in outdated) of rolling releases.

Is it me, or does it seem like the time between updates is getting longer lately? I’m not complaining, as I appreciate the stability (although, if I am honest, that has been sort of hit and miss lately for me as well), but ugh, it would be nice to at least get things like Firefox and Thunderbird. Do these apps require that much testing?

Have you ever heard of the TESTING branch? If you’re not happy that some updates are held back in TESTING, then SWITCH TO TESTING :slight_smile:
Come join the party we have fun there Testing Updates - Manjaro Linux Forum

4 Likes

Yep, well aware of the testing and unstables branches. I’m happy enough on stable. I guess I don’t understand why apps like Firefox and Thunderbird have to be delayed so long…

Probably because they are not absolutely critical updates. Why do you want the updates?

Both of them have new and useful features/fixes. Anxious to try the hardware acceleratiion in Firefox 80. For Thunderbird, anxious to see if the dark mode actually looks properly on Plasma. I suppose I could install from snap or something, but sort of defeats the purpose os using a rolling distro, imho.