[Stable Update] 2020-08-28 - Kernels, Systemd, PAM, PAMBASE, KDE-git, Deepin, Pamac, Nvidia 450.66, LibreOffice 7.0

Better create an additional topic on that one in one of the dedicated sections like this one as your question is not really about the update process itself.

:innocent:

We can’t because we don’t know your system: it seems like you used to run Gnome and are now running KDE. If that’s the case, you need to apply the .pacnew.

If not, please create a specific question in the gnome or KDE section of this forum and give us more info.

:wink:

2 Likes

Chinese Characters of Microsoft YaHei displays strange on Manjaro, and it will make Edge and Firefox on Windows display strange too.

Bitte legen Sie eine bestimmte Frage in eine dem General oder Deutsch Sektionen.

:wink:

All fine here. No issues :slight_smile:

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: After update restarted VM. Startup was slow, screen was spammed with “Failed to start VirtualBox Guest VMSVGA resize client”

All went good with this update. Using Manjaro KDE with Lniux57 Kernel.
Thankyou Team Majaro. :slightly_smiling_face:

No issues using the latest RC5, with kernel58 & amd video :slight_smile:

A post was split to a new topic: Chose “overwrite” old files with .pacnew - now can’t login

Post update issue when waking up from screen off (2 monitors). Primary monitor doesn’t wake, have to power cycle monitor.

Ryzen 7 3700X
Radeon VII
video-linux
5.8.3-2

Thank you @Fabby
Sorry I forgot to add that, I added a note above:
“My desktop is KDE since the installation of this system”.
I never run two DE in my system, maybe some “tweak or app” installed in the beginning “confuses” the system :thinking:

So, the best thing is to back up the current one and leave only the pacnew in its place as you recommend?

I wish I could prevent the worst, but right now I can’t even connect a usb because it doesn’t recognize them until I reboot the system.

Regards

Solved.
After using *sudo pacdiff, I managed to find and get rid of all those old .pacnew files, then I reboot my system and after a few distressing seconds with the black screen this start with the login screen.

And I see that those new lines that refer to gnome appeared for the first time during this or the previous update.

I also found that some previous update, wreaked havoc on the shadow file; no wonder many people have complained that they cannot enter with their passwords, that new “/etc/shadow.pacnew” comes only with the “root” account:

root:*:14871::::::

Regards!

2 Likes

All good on two machines, no problem.

Update is done, without reboot, but if I try to downgrade the packages this is the terminal-output.

]$ export LANG=C; sudo pacman -U h’***s://archive.archlinux.org/packages/p/pam/pam-1.3.1-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz h’***s://archive.archlinux.org/packages/p/pambase/pambase-20190105.1-2-any.pkg.tar.xz
loading packages…
error: ‘/var/cache/pacman/pkg/pam-1.3.1-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz’: package missing required signature
error: ‘/var/cache/pacman/pkg/pambase-20190105.1-2-any.pkg.tar.xz’: package missing required signature

How can I downgrade the packages?

Second Problem with this Update

This is the output of the terminl,. But I still not understand, what I have to do with “/etc/pam.d/system-auth”. And what does ‘merge’ means in this context?

DIFFPROG=nano pacdiff
==> pacnew file found for /etc/bumblebee/bumblebee.conf
==> pacnew file found for /etc/fstab
==> pacnew file found for /etc/group
==> pacnew file found for /etc/gshadow
==> pacnew file found for /etc/nsswitch.conf
==> pacnew file found for /etc/passwd
==> pacnew file found for /etc/resolv.conf
==> pacnew file found for /etc/shadow
==> pacnew file found for /etc/shells
==> pacnew file found for /etc/fonts/fonts.conf
==> pacnew file found for /etc/security/limits.d/10-gcr.conf
==> pacnew file found for /etc/gdm/custom.conf
==> pacnew file found for /etc/locale.gen
==> pacnew file found for /etc/default/grub
==> pacnew file found for /etc/security/pwquality.conf
==> pacnew file found for /etc/mkinitcpio.conf
==> pacnew file found for /etc/pacman.conf
==> pacnew file found for /etc/pacman-mirrors.conf
==> pacnew file found for /etc/pamac.conf
==> pacnew file found for /etc/pam.d/system-auth
==> pacnew file found for /usr/bin/pinentry
==> pacsave file found for /etc/pulse/daemon.conf
==> pacsave file found for /etc/pulse/default.pa
==> pacnew file found for /etc/systemd/logind.conf

Merge is to take a part (1…2 lines) of one of the 2 files and to put it in other one, sometimes the totality, sometimes especially not to merge anything.
If we do it regularly after each update we usually have 0…2 files to merge :wink:

2 Likes

these files in /etc exists in .conf and .conf.pacnew
*** DO NO CHANGES FOR gshadow /shadow you will destroy your Linux & login ***
see for example

sudo diff -y /etc/bumblebee/bumblebee.conf /etc/bumblebee/bumblebee.conf.pacnew
2 Likes

I think this link could be useful to you:
https://wiki.manjaro.org/System_Maintenance#Pacnew_and_Pacsave_files

2 Likes

Got no pacnew concerning pam and pambase after update. Smooth update again!
Thanks Manjaro Team

1 Like

I use the same laptop. When using optimus manager for GPU management, I have a bunch of issues in KDE with the 450 driver. How do you find the Nvidia 450 driver? Do you have any issues after suspend and/or with external screens? What do you use for GPU switching?

I am on bios 1.30, and the update did not affect fans in any way btw for me. It must be a bios update (which I am reluctant to do myself, due to Lenovo’s history with updates for this machine).

I’m on bios 1.34. With Nvidia 450, I don’t use switching anymore. Right now I just use the default hybrid driver by Manjaro without any changes. The external monitor works via reverse prime, I think. The only issue I got is Desktop effects have been suspended by another application. But I’ve managed to find a fix to it. If you have the same issue, you can refer to that post.

2 Likes