[Stable Update] 2020-01-16 - Kernels, KDE, Xorg-Stack, Mesa, Qt5, Firefox, Mhwd

I had posted here about how the Nvidia Prime MHWD configuration doesn't seem to work on my Dell XPS 9570. Is there a way to get this to work without using Optimus Manager?

I know that I had to uninstall Optimus Manager, before it would work.

glxinfo | grep "OpenGL renderer" && prime-run glxinfo | grep "OpenGL renderer"
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) HD Graphics 620 (Kaby Lake GT2)
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce 940MX/PCIe/SSE2

Yeah I ran yay -R optimus-manager-qt and sudo pacman -R optimus-manager and then I installed the MHWD configuration, is there anything else that you did? I

With the latest update none of my applications are working anymore that rely on PyQt5 - as an example Musicbrainz Picard, and also my own PyQt5 based applications. All of them terminate with the following error message:

"qt.qpa.plugin: Could not load the Qt platform plugin "xcb" in "" even though it was found.
This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

Available platform plugins are: eglfs, linuxfb, minimal, minimalegl, offscreen, vnc, wayland-egl, wayland, wayland-xcomposite-egl, wayland-xcomposite-glx, webgl, xcb."

I've seen that a PyQt5 update was included in the latest stable release, so I've tried to downgrade to the previous version (from PyQt5 5.14.1 -> 5.14.0). The error is still happening though, so might not even have been caused by this package.

Apps were working fine before the update.

Any idea on how to fix this?

Thanks in advance!

Months ago I have tried to add QT_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTORS or QT_AUTO_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTOR = 1, 1.7, 2 etc to many rc env pam files, just want get yakuake using full screen width not a half, but all to no avail.

And now I think the problem is the scale factor, edited all the files but only find some other files I don't know where, now set the env by default ...

BTW to yakuake
from system settings > autostart, change yakuake command to env QT_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTORS=1 yakuake, it will scale to 1 with small icon, but font and width are right.
And for yakuake open window sometimes after system start, in settings > desktop sessions, add yakuake to excluded applications.

Maybe this can help you:

and this:

Weird approach :confused:
Setting yakuake width to 100% via it's own settings should do the trick.

2 Likes

Worked smoothly on my desktop and laptop (both XFCE with command line update) - minor font weirdness which fixed with reboot (I always reboot after a big update anyway so no harm no foul)

Remembering that the version released in this Chromium update contains security issues that were fixed in version 79.0.3945.130-1 as well as bugs that sometimes crash affecting performance. It has been released as security fixes for various issues, as mentioned in the mailing list.
[manjaro-security] [ASA-202001-5] chromium: multiple issues

On my two KDE AMD PCs after reboot: One: no problem.
But the other, even after numerous reboots, had black plasma desktop after login screen, but had mouse, and could access Yakuake (F12), and apps via krunner (Alt F2).
After much searching, I used arch wiki KDE page to rebuild the cache using:

$ rm ~/.config/Trolltech.conf 
$ kbuildsycoca5 --noincremental

That sorted it.

1 Like

Seems both @Manjaroar and @rswaagman have some Ryzen laptops which currently don't work. @rswaagman opened a new thread:

Most likely we have an issue with mhwd and the changes made by @TotallyNotElite . We have to see which edge-case we had missed within our Nvidia-Prime updates. I'll share the older mhwd packages for some tests. @Manjaroar, please open also a new thread to help you out.

I have following problem, can sb please help me:

Fehler: libjpeg-turbo: signature from "Gaetan Bisson <bisson@archlinux.org>" is unknown trust
:: Datei /var/cache/pacman/pkg/libjpeg-turbo-2.0.4-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst ist beschädigt (Ungültiges oder beschädigtes Paket (PGP-Signatur)).
Soll die Datei entfernt werden? [J/n] ^C

I get this for every package.

5.4 is still not recommended?

good update here, only one minor thing:

a stop job timer for Simple Desktop Display Manager now appears on every shutdown/reboot.

1 Like

All went well!

Thank you!

thx! that was my problem too

Well, current ISO images does ship Linux 5.4 by default to be honest.

I guess they will mark it as "Recommended" in MHWD once Linux 5.5 will be released. Who knows.

1 Like

Hello!
I got an issue. After updating I can't open telegram-desktop. I have this error:

(telegram-desktop:20506): GLib-CRITICAL **: 14:45:41.295: g_once_init_leave: assertion 'result != 0' failed

Thanks in regard!

1 Like

Running Cinnamon DE and update went smooth as butter. Until kernel 5.6 I have to manually patch the kernel, still running perfect after the patches I applied.

1 Like

Forum kindly sponsored by