[Stable Update] 2019-12-10 - Kernels, KDE, Cinnamon, Pamac, Python 3.8

Hmm. Can you tell us which modules might not work on your end with linux54?

Sure, output from systemctl status systemd-modules-load.service:

● systemd-modules-load.service - Load Kernel Modules
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/systemd-modules-load.service; static; vendor preset: disabled)
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Wed 2019-12-11 01:30:27 EET; 3min 48s ago
     Docs: man:systemd-modules-load.service(8)
           man:modules-load.d(5)
  Process: 712 ExecStart=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd-modules-load (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
 Main PID: 712 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

dec 11 01:30:27 unknown-linux systemd[1]: Starting Load Kernel Modules...
dec 11 01:30:27 unknown-linux systemd-modules-load[712]: Failed to find module 'vboxdrv'
dec 11 01:30:27 unknown-linux systemd-modules-load[712]: Failed to find module 'vboxnetadp'
dec 11 01:30:27 unknown-linux systemd-modules-load[712]: Failed to find module 'vboxnetflt'
dec 11 01:30:27 unknown-linux systemd-modules-load[712]: Failed to find module 'vboxpci'
dec 11 01:30:27 unknown-linux systemd-modules-load[712]: Failed to find module 'nvidia'
dec 11 01:30:27 unknown-linux systemd-modules-load[712]: Failed to find module 'nvidia-drm'
dec 11 01:30:27 unknown-linux systemd[1]: systemd-modules-load.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
dec 11 01:30:27 unknown-linux systemd[1]: systemd-modules-load.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
dec 11 01:30:27 unknown-linux systemd[1]: Failed to start Load Kernel Modules.

After this update systemd fais to load/start searx.service.
I use searx as my search engine for all browsers and so I'm stuck...

No problems , updated via tty as usual , smooth update on an I7 with Nvidia 440 and kernel 5.4 running KDE .

XFCE, 5.4.2-1

Everything went smoothly! Thanks for all the hard work.

Very nice and smooth update. No issues at all on KDE. As always, AWESOME job Team Manjaro....Thank You...

may need to rebuild it

Did stupid thing and uninstalled all video drivers, even had to add nomodeset to grub. But after removing VirtualBox and reinstalling Nvidia driver all seems fine. Freezes and stuttering went away after enabling Force Composition Pipeline in NVIDIA X Server Settings.

All smooth apart from php7.4 breaking Nextcloud as it was limited to php7.3.
Patched Nextcloud but would be handy to have option to easily keep/switch php versions without holding back packages in pamac.

2 Likes

Either the Cinnamon update or the Python update broke Cinnamenu, the popular app launcher replacement. Without digging too deeply, I'm guessing that Cinnamenu has a Python 2.7 dependency.

Frankly, I'm sick and tired of dealing with Cinnamon-based launchers (Freedesktop.org standard is a ■■■■■■■ MESS) and am going to experiment with search-based launchers as a work-around. However, it occurs that this might be cause for concern for Cinnamon users other than myself.

Host: GA-970A-UD3
Kernel: 5.3.15-1-MANJARO
Shell: zsh 5.7.1
Resolution: 1600x900
DE: Cinnamon 4.4.3
WM: Mutter (Muffin)

Populated known issues wiki based on previous stable release thread - please feel free to update/modify.

Also added direction to rebuild AUR packages that depend on python

1 Like

Hi All,

I had a problem with kernel 5.4 and pcloud (AUR), that was giving a "transport endpoint" error. Although pcloud is from AUR the problem is related to fuse, as pointed here: https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?h=v5.4&id=1fb027d7596464d3fad3ed59f70f43807ef926c6 and here: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1876403#p1876403.

The information with the explanation for the cause of the error was posted in another thread: Kernel 5.4rc7 and [AUR] pCloudDrive. @maggu2810 was the one that published the explanation.

Everything works fine with kernel 5.3.

Cheers.

Everything went smooth, apps open much faster compared to pre- update and definitely love the PIP feature in Firefox v71.

Cheers

XFCE update went well, but the system fails to boot while running the 5.4 kernel. It hangs on Started TLP system startup/shutdown. I dropped back to 5.3.15-1 and it boots fine.

1 Like

Can you verify you did not do a partial update?

sudo pacman-mirrors -f 5 && sudo pacman -Syyu

Also how did you switch to kernel 5.4? Using the GUI or the konsole? try the other one

The only thing I know for Cinnamenu is that it got removed from Cinnamon Spice. The applet got deleted.

At that point, I think the best would be to move on to something else.

Updated Manjaro KDE, 4.19.x LTS, without any issues. Thanks!

I use KDE; I had a minor issue with gnome-desktop being pulled in due to xdg-desktop-portal-gtk, see here: https://forum.manjaro.org/t/system-wants-to-install-gnome-desktop-but-im-on-kde but was able to resolve it with the solution in post 6: System wants to install gnome-desktop, but I'm on KDE

Other than that, everything went smoothly.

Update went smooth. but i've got following warning messages

warning: ranger: local (1.9.2.212.g5ae67755-1) is newer than community (1.9.2-2)

should i downgrade or leave as it as ?

Huh, the prior looks like it has a git versioning.
I wonder how that happened?

Forum kindly sponsored by