[Stable Update] 2019-12-10 - Kernels, KDE, Cinnamon, Pamac, Python 3.8

Hello community,

I am happy to announce another Stable Update.

Get our latest release of Manjaro 18.1.4 now!

It took us longer than we thought. Mostly it was because of the python 3.8 update. Also icu took us a while to complete. What else changed?

• python 3.8, poppler and icu rebuilds by Arch
  • we added some BTRFS features to grub
  • systemd-boot-manager adopted our kernel initramfs changes
  • a lot of KDE-git updates
  • small updates to manjaro-settings-manager
  • linux-firmware got renewed and therefore some AMD Navi firmware got updated/added
  • Pamac v9.2 got finally released
  • some fixes to Cinnamon
  • Firefox 71 got added to our repos
  • Firefox-Dev starts in 72 series
  • we updated most of our KDE-git packages
  • Mesa update plus the latest Kernels
  • Plasma 5.17.4 got released
  • new Nvidia driver
  • fixes to alsa-lib
  • new bauh version
  • new calamares release
  • we dropped catalyst driver for good
  • LibreOffice is now at 6.3.3
  • Brave-Browser launched it first stable release
  • the usual upstream fixes and haskell rebuilds.

If you like following latest Plasma development you may also like to check out our current version of manjaro-kde-vanilla, which we build on a regular basis against kde-git master packages.

As always we appreciate your input and feedback for the updates.

Our current supported kernels:

• linux316 3.16.78
  • linux44 4.4.206
  • linux49 4.9.206
  • linux414 4.14.158
  • linux419 4.19.88 (no virtualbox-guest-modules)
  • linux53 5.3.15
  • linux54 5.4.2
  • linux419-rt 4.19.72_rt26
  • linux52-rt 5.2.21_rt13

Package Changes (Mon Dec 9 13:18:29 CET 2019)

• stable community x86_64: 3236 new and 3163 removed package(s)
  • stable core x86_64: 221 new and 223 removed package(s)
  • stable extra x86_64: 1020 new and 1033 removed package(s)
  • stable multilib x86_64: 36 new and 46 removed package(s)

A detailed list of all package changes can be found here.

• No issue, everything went smoothly
  • Yes there was an issue. I was able to resolve it myself.(Please post your solution)
  • Yes i am currently experiencing an issue due to the update. (Please post about it)

0 voters

Check if your mirror has already synced:

43 Likes

Known issues and solutions

This is a wiki post; please edit as necessary.
Please, consider subscribing to the Stable Updates Announcements RSS feed

AUR Rebuilds required

Packages that depend on python from the AUR will need to be rebuilt after everything else has been updated. You can rebuild some of them with the following:

sudo pacman -S --needed --noconfirm expac yay
yay -S --rebuildtree $(pacman -Qmq $(expac %N python))

You can find other packages that need to be rebuilt by looking at the folders/files in

/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/

To find out what package owns a folder/file in that, you can use the following:

pacman -Qo folder_or_filename

If no package owns a file, it can probably be ignored.

Older issues

System Settings and kinfocenter crash when entering Night Color settings randomly

Remove entire [NightColor] section of ~/.config/kwinrc
No solution yet ─ please edit as soon as a workaround is found.

xfce4-power-manager does not open / upower fails

Install kernel 4.14 or higher (4.14, 4.19, 5.2 [EOL], 5.3)

There is an issue with upower 0.99.11-1 on kernels 4.4 and 4.9.

xfce4-terminal / guake / gnome-terminal does not open

Update to vte3 0.58.2-1 or install kernel 4.14 or higher (4.14, 4.19, 5.2 [EOL], 5.3)

There is an issue with vte3 0.58.1-1 on kernels 4.4 and 4.9.

Replace linux52 with community/linux-latest ?

linux52 is EOL and has been removed from the repositories. It will be replaced by a metapackage which will from now on keep you on a maintained kernel.

If you want to keep the old kernel and modules then include them in your pacman.conf's IgnorePkg.

Pamac-Qt is not compatible to 9.0 API of Pamac

Pamac Qt 0.3 pre-RC: Towards the release, needs help in testing

gnome-shell-extension-desktop-icons

the pkgver 19.10.1 ship with an hook to remove the capability from gnome-shell. A message is present during install but essentially you need to reboot the system to show correctly the icons in the desktop. More info here

12 Likes

Wow!! It's hard to believe that an update that size can go so smoothly, excellent work gentlemen!

9 Likes

You're late! Flawless update on 2600x and 5700 XT (mesa-git and llvm-git) and kernel 5.4.2 (compiled myself with pipelock patch)

Hi! I dont know is this problem due to the latest update, but my wi-fi module (Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8821CE 802.11ac PCIe Wireless Network Adapter) doesn't work with 5.4 kernel. With 5.3 kernel everything`s fine.

1 Like

I'm still having octopi on my kde install. Does it make sense to switch to pamac?

Go for it Pamac is excellent, but post your issue so it can be fixed

Kernel 5.4 is LTS, but not recommended?

So aside from a few issues experienced by a few users, no one is have any major problems with the new update?
I haven't updated yet as waiting on this thread to read first.

Then you should wait a few hours for more people to post their experiences, I have been on the testing branch for a few updates and I personally had no issues, but I am just one person with one setup

3 Likes

in my opinion, kernel 5.4 is very stable

great work guys. no problems here

2 Likes

Normally we recommend LTS kernels. However 5.4 is not yet officially tagged as one at kernel.org. For now it is only marked as one in the releases page.

7 Likes

XFCE here, update without issues. Better every day. Keep going team!

Take your time. :slight_smile:

Well, Pamac has become the default package manager on KDE edition now, so I guess it can make sense.

Is it mandatory? Absolutely not. Feel free to use whatever package manager you like.

1 Like

For Python developers: I have prepared, but not yet used, a small script that will upgrade your virtualenvs to Python 3.8 automatically. It must be run before and after updating.

5 Likes

updated on one of the stable machines earlier-- Plasma desktop 5.3 kernel Nvidia graphics updated via tty- absolutely flawless update. One question-- have received a couple of addition notifications to Stable via packages digest during the day. Used pacman-mirrors --fasttrack && pacman -Syyu to do these. Normally fasttrack will run times on between 20 and 30 mirrors but now only Germany, Austria & Denmark. Curious if there is a problem with either my connectivity or something with mirrors other than the ones I mentioned.

Regards . Great update. Many thanks to the devs.

No issues, thanks to everyone involved for all the hard work :slight_smile:

I posted my answer to the post Phyton 3.8 Broke Everything in the corresponding thread. I haven never saw that text when running Phyton.
Regards.

Not yet, give it some time to stabilize a bit, that and for more people to be using it.
Besides, upstream has not marked 5.4 as an LTS (longterm).
https://www.kernel.org/

Personally, I stick with LTS releases and what has been stable.
This means one older media server running 4.4 (everything newer has issues), one file server running 4.9, one data center running 4.14, and 3 desktop workstations running 4.19.
I'm a strong believer in, "If it ain't broke, Don't fix it".

5 Likes

5.4 doesn't boot for me after update, saw something about modules failed to load, went back to 5.3, but with that there are micro freezes and system feels really choppy, even moving mouse is not smooth. Late night here will have to investigate more tomorrow.

Forum kindly sponsored by