[Stable Update] 2019-08-01 - Kernels, fpakman, Firmware, KDE-Git, Browsers, Java, XFCE 4.14-pre3, Haskell

Hello community,

I am happy to announce another Stable Update. Mostly we have XFCE, Kernels and Haskell updates with this one.

Addition of FreeOffice

On Manjaro 18.1-rc6 ISOs we ship FreeOffice by default. This is possible since we partnered up with Softmaker. Enjoy the best compability to MS Office!
If you like more a spartan version shipping only the desktop environment and systemd tools, please choose our Minimal-ISOs. On the final release we plan to make the office suite selectable during installation. Learn more about FreeOffice here.

Manjaro Hardware

With the new Premium BIOS, you have the opportunity to make various profiles for chipset-specific settings and components in order to be able to operate the device optimally depending on the application on Tuxedo hardware. Find out more here and stay tuned for the announcement of our new Manjaro Laptop we will launch together.

Support of Snap packages (only on full ISOs)

Some might noticed that since the #snapcraftsummit a lot of package changes went into Manjaro and our available RCs. XFCE, Gnome and KDE edition will come with fpakman, so managing snaps and flatpaks is easy. To learn more go here.

This way everybody can easily access the snap store by a click and don't has to hassle to get snaps enabled. This enables us to ship even more proprietary software, which we couldn't before. For example check out on how you may install Spotify on Manjaro.

Update news

This update holds the following changes:

• Introduction of fpakman
  • Firefox got its latest beta-release
  • We updated some of KDE-Git
  • Palemoon is now at version 28.6.1
  • Some Kernels and Java packages got updated
  • XFCE is now at 4.14-pre3
  • We updated most of our Kernels. Note that linux51 is now marked as EOL
  • Lot of Haskell updates
  • We also updated linux-firmware, which adds some fixes for Intel WLAN hardware
  • Latest efforts by KDE can be reviewed via our current KDE-Dev ISO
  • Manjaro Juhraya ISOs got updated, including freeoffice, flatpak and snap support pre-activated on the full-editions: XFCE, KDE, Gnome

Give us the usual feedback and let us know what you think about this update.

Current supported Kernels

• linux316 3.16.70
  • linux44 4.4.186 (no legacy nvidia-340 module!)
  • linux49 4.9.186
  • linux414 4.14.134
  • linux419 4.19.62
  • linux51 5.1.21 [EOL]
  • linux52 5.2.4 (no catalyst module!)
  • linux53 5.3-rc2 (not all modules build yet!)
  • linux419-rt 4.19.50_rt22
  • linux50-rt 5.0.21_rt16

Package Updates (Mon Jul 29 20:06:43 CEST 2019)

• stable community x86_64: 794 new and 779 removed package(s)
  • stable core x86_64: 14 new and 14 removed package(s)
  • stable extra x86_64: 141 new and 134 removed package(s)
  • stable multilib x86_64: 7 new and 7 removed package(s)

A list of all package changes can be found here.

• No issue, everything went smoothly
  • Yes there was an issue. I was able to resolve it myself.(Please post your solution)
  • Yes i am currently experiencing an issue due to the update. (Please post about it)

0 voters

Check if your mirror has already synced:

24 Likes

Known issues and solutions

This is a wiki post; please edit as necessary.
Please, consider subscribing to the Stable Updates Announcements RSS feed

Pango doesn't support bitmap fonts anymore

Applications that use Pango and that are configured to use bitmap fonts now only show rectangles instead of characters. This affects popular terminal emulator setups, because many people use fonts like Terminus in applications like GNOME Terminal. We recommend to switch fonts or downgrade pango.

Asian/CJK characters display as blocks

Install noto-fonts-cjk or another font of your choice. The problem seems related to a ttf-droid update.

https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/63205

libbloom>=1.6-2 update requires manual intervention

(Taken from Arch Linux website, 2019-07-11 by Felix Yan. Source: https://www.archlinux.org/news/libbloom16-2-update-requires-manual-intervention/)

The libbloom package prior to version 1.6-2 was missing a soname link. This has been fixed in 1.6-2, so the upgrade will need to overwrite the untracked soname link created by ldconfig. If you get an error

libbloom: /usr/lib/libbloom.so.1 exists in filesystem

when updating, use

pacman -Suy --overwrite /usr/lib/libbloom.so.1

to perform the upgrade.

Items from previous update sets

File conflict: "snapd: /snap already exists in filesystem"

If you have this file conflict, we recommend to use the command-line interface for this time and use the --overwrite option. In a command-line interface, use the following command or any equivalent of your choice:

sudo pacman -Syu --overwrite '/snap' 

Warning: audit: directory permissions differ on /var/log/audit/filesystem: 755 package: 700

Execute sudo chmod 700 /var/log/audit/ in terminal

mariadb 10.4.x update requires manual intervention

(Source: https://www.archlinux.org/news/mariadb-104x-update-requires-manual-intervention/ , 2019-06-27, by Christian Hesse)

The update to mariadb 10.4.6-1 and later changes configuration layout as recommended by upstream.

The main configuration file moved from /etc/mysql/my.cnf (and its include directory /etc/mysql/my.cnf.d/ ) to /etc/my.cnf (and /etc/my.cnf.d/ ). Make sure to move your configuration.

Instantiated services (like mariadb@foo.service ) are no longer configured in separate files (like /etc/mysql/myfoo.cnf ). Instead move your configuration to configuration blocks with group suffix in main configuration file, one for each service. A block should look something like this:

[mysqld.foo]
datadir = /var/lib/mysql-foo
socket = /run/mysqld/mysqld-foo.sock

Like every mariadb feature update this requires the data directory to be updated. With the new configuration in place run:

systemctl restart mariadb.service && mariadb-upgrade -u root -p

Some KDE System Settings may have been reset to their defaults

• System Settings > Input Devices > Touchpad > Tap-to-click
  • Scrolling
  • The compositor could get disabled during the upgrade which will stop all of the KDE eye-candy
  • (Font-)Hinting could get reset to none

XFCE 4.14-pre2 : I do not see XFCE 4.14-pre2 in the repositories!?

You won't see explicitly 4.14-pre2 anywhere on our xfce-gtk3 packages. We follow the versioning used by upstream. Here's the list of all components that are part of XFCE 4.14-pre2.

Kvantum theme reset

If you are using the Matcha theme in kvantum you may experience a theme reset. Simply install kvantum-theme-matcha if not happend yet and select the new provided variants. Manjaro 18.1 releases will ship with the new themes by default.

Issues with Octopi

Currently several users report different issues for Octopi. So if you encounter some of them, you may switch to pamac for now: sudo pacman -Syu pamac

(Note that sudo pacman -Syu pamac will both install Pamac and upgrade all upgradable packages on your system at the same time.)

Issues with DisplayCAL

DisplayCAL 3.8.1.1 - Missing python2-dbus causes failure to launch application.

Solution - Install the python2-dbus package for now. Version 3.8.2 fixes the dependency error. As and when DisplayCAL 3.8.2 reaches stable branch you can remove python2-dbus as it does not require it. Only remove python2-dbus again if you installed it specifically for DisplayCAL.

Regression with Linux firmwares on machine running Vega GPUs.

June 2, 2019: We expect it to be fixed with linux-firmware 20190514-711d329-1.1. We downgraded the firmware related to Vega GPUs to a previous version. You should now be able to use Linux 4.19 correctly.

[Stable Update] 2019-05-26 - Kernels, XFCE 4.14-pre1, Virtualbox, LibreOffice

linux-firmware 20190514-711d329-1 introduced a regression that can make the system unbootable on systems that use a AMD Vega GPUs (for example: Vega 64, Vega 56, Vega 10) and Linux 4.19.

It is a regression that affects both Manjaro and Arch Linux. Here's some links.

Arch Linux bugtracker: https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/62666
Manjaro forum: Most recent stable branch update problem
Manjaro forum: Manjaro update prevents system booting
Manjaro forum: 'linux-firmware 20190514.711d329-1' update prevents my system booting.

If you are affected by this issue, you have essentially two choices: either use a different kernel or downgrade linux-firmware. The most preferred method is the first one since it doesn't involve keeping a package to an older version. Either way, if your system is completely unbootable (not even with a command line interface), you will need to do a chroot to repair your system. For each solution suggested below, we will suppose that you need to do a chroot; skip the chroot part if you manage to reach an usable command line interface.

For the first solution, as far as we know, it works fine on Linux 5.1 and supposedly also on Linux 5.0. Follow these steps in order to be able to install a new kernel:

• Launch a live session with an installation medium;
  • Open a terminal;
  • Chroot your system. You may do so automatically with manjaro-chroot -a. On more complex system where manjaro-chroot may simply fail, you may have to do a manual chroot.;
  • Once you have chrooted on your system, use mhwd-kernel -i linux51 to install Linux 5.1 and all extra modules needed for your system. You may also try with Linux 5.0 (replace linux51 with linux50), although Linux 5.0 is expected to be End of Life soon.

(If you have multiple kernels installed on your machine, you may want to boot with other kernels before trying to install a new one.)

For the second one:

• Chroot to your system from a live session;
  • Downgrade the linux-firmware package to version 20190424.4b6cf2b-1 with pacman -U /var/cache/pacman/pkg/linux-firmware-20190424.4b6cf2b-1-any.pkg.tar.xz. If the package is not available in your local cache, use pacman -U https://archive.archlinux.org/packages/l/linux-firmware/linux-firmware-20190424.4b6cf2b-1-any.pkg.tar.xz instead.

(Note that if you know how to use downgrade, you may also use downgrade.)
(Remember that downgrading a package is merely a temporary solution, do not hold the package to a previous version forever.)

signature from "Helmut Stult (schinfo) <helmut.stult@schinfo.de>" is marginal trust

Update manjaro-keyring first. For more options read this thread:

Issues with "signature is marginal trust" or "invalid or corrupted package"

replace steam-devices with community/game-devices-udev?

Yes. The package name changed. Accept the replacement.

1 Like

@philm Downgrading Pango doesn't seem to be a very viable solution to me in long term. Sooner or later, programs depending on Pango won't be compatible with older version of Pango.

Adapting to the change seems to be better to me.

1 Like

It was only suggested for short term, as some people recommend in our testing branch.

Minimal ISOs
Thank you very much @philm and Manjaro Team
I think, this is the best proof that you are really listen to the community!
Now, everyone should be happy!

Keep up the good work and make Manjaro No.1 again!

Thank you so much :slight_smile:

17 Likes

I have updated with no hassle on XFCE.

Thank you Manjaro Team! Keep it up the great job!

1 Like

Updated via tty as usual , no issues on KDE with 4.19 and Nvidia . Also as usual .

1 Like

Everything went cool with KDE update via terminal i was on linux51 and then they told me to switch to linux52 and everything worked no tweaking. Thanks to the Manjaro team for the great job you guys are making me to love linux it's only 3 days i've been using Manjaro and it's so stable

3 Likes

I finally was able to upgrade to kernel 5.2 without graphical glitches and the whole laptop freezing:

2 Likes

Updated my XFCE on linux419
All good :ok_hand:

Thanks Manjaro team!

Glad to hear about the inclusion of minimal install isos!

These updates are not on "unstable" branch? I'm on unstable branch and can't see either fpakman or freeoffice installed.

This is the new defaults for upcoming ISO images of Manjaro 18.1.0.

It isn't retroactive, i.e neither fpakman nor FreeOffice will be installed automatically on old systems.

3 Likes

Do i need to worry about the no catalyst module in kernal 5.2.4?

If you do use Catalyst (old and unmaintained driver for old AMD GPUs), maybe.

If you use AMDGPU or if you do not use a AMD GPU at all, no.

2 Likes

No issue here insofar as I can see. Switched from the 5.1 kernel to 5.2 in the process. All is well in Middle-Earth. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Everything is fine here, just one minor thing that I want to mention (no clue, maybe it is even meant to behave like this):
redis.ini has been overwritten after updating php-redis from 5.0.1.-1 -> 5.0.2-1
Had to re-enable it (/etc/php/conf.d/redis.ini)

No issues to report with this update. Installed it on my five production machines. And as always thanks for the awesome work team Manjaro!

ps: On a sidenote: I do not understand why Manjaro now ships with proprietary office. It is a bit of a letdown for me. (You might want to watch Derek Taylors DT video about this).

regards

4 Likes

Only the new (and at this point in time still beta) 18.1 ISOs for the three flagship editions will come with FreeOffice, but it will be an opt-out choice during installation, and FreeOffice can either way easily be swapped out for LibreOffice.

In addition to the above, how much difference is there really between having FreeOffice supplied in the menu and having a series of links in the menu for Microsoft Office Online, as is the case in the current Stable ISOs? And those are just as easy to get rid of.

Existing installations will either way not be affected. Nobody's going to be pushing FreeOffice onto your already existing Manjaro installations. :wink:

1 Like

We have a great relationship with Softmaker, the manufacturer behind FreeOffice. It is a solid German company, which exists since more than 30 years in the business. They approached us to add their software to our repositories. During our talks we offered to add it even on our ISOs.

With 18.1-rc5 and 18.1-rc6 we implemented it and waited for the reaction of the community. As expected it was mixed. Some are happy to finally being happy to be able to open DOCX and other MS-Office files finally under Linux, others simply don't like the fact of proprietary software for fundamental applications like an office.

Having proprietary drivers is a different story, as this enables your hardware with all the features you had paid for.

Based on the reaction of the community Softmaker is currently considering to update their FreeOffice with the following PRO features:

• Enable to save in DOC, XLSX, PPT additionally
  • Enable to save also in ODT
  • Enable the Dark Mode

They are open for feedback and try to implement the user needs when possible. Also when our community finds issue, we have a direct line to them to report and get fast fixes delivered.

We are at a point that proprietary software can also work on Linux. The only difference is, that they have to protect their software, as it pays their bills. About 70% of the code is reused in their products. As OnlyOffice for example has opensourced their base version, there might be also a possibility for Softmaker to do the same, however this might need a lot of discussions at their end, as they still have to protect their special ingredients, which makes their products work.

13 Likes

Forum kindly sponsored by Bytemark