[Stable Update] 2019-07-17 - Kernels, KDE, Browsers, Systemd, Octopi, LibreOffice

1 Like

Thanks. I am using it on 5.1 with minimal issues. 5.0 what almost unusable.

For the best experience (for now) please switch to 4.19 until the issue resolves

Updated 2 systems, Gnome (4.19) on bare metal and KDE (4.19) in VM, via TTY without any issues. BZ to the developers!

You can always check your branch after installing:

$ pacman-mirrors -G

and change it to your liking: https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Switching_Branches

@philm , after this update this issue/bug is still present:

Thank you, I didn't know about this wiki page. I didn't know that it was possible to switch branches.

For some reason right click was not working. After reboot everything seems to be working fine :+1:

1 Like

Since the update, after rebooting and logon there is a delay of about 4 seconds during wich the Xfce4 desktop seems to be "setup".
Both kernel 4.19.59-1-MANJARO and 5.1.18-1-MANJARO have this problem.

systemd-analyze blame
1.477s systemd-logind.service
1.356s lvm2-monitor.service
1.325s dev-sda2.device
1.203s lightdm.service
997ms udisks2.service
907ms tlp.service
822ms ananicy.service
714ms ModemManager.service
704ms upower.service
etc

KDE:
Installed Kernel 5.2.1-1, it doesn't switch to this new Kernel after boot.
Even in boot selection menu i see:

• Linux
  • Linux 5.1.18
  • Linux 5.1.18 fallback

If i select "Linux" manually in grub boot selection, then Kernel is still 5.1.18-1.
I was curious to see new USB-C Displayport feature with 5.2.
:thinking:

A you may have read a little higher up in this thread, another user has/had a similar problem and fixed it by downgrading:

In a KDE Plasma 5 environment, this upgrade causes all CJK font to become blank square. This is caused by the upgrade of noto-fonts.

TO RESOLVE:

Install noto-fonts-cjk. Optionally, install everything noto-fonts-*.

3 Likes

Try this in terminal: "touch var/lib/pacman/local/dnsmasq-2.80-3/desc" and then update again..

This is working for me, no more squares. Thank you.

1 Like

The latest changes were:

https://git.xfce.org/xfce/xfce4-session/commit/?id=195b423599fd1cde5204a281846318c820e11a61
https://git.xfce.org/xfce/xfce4-settings/commit/?id=92ddf97f8e8b976c3aa4483e2a5d1a23078ae84f

So these create now issues?

@riizzu , I have the same error in Manjaro XFCE minimal. Are you in XFCE?

The guide that @papajoke posted, while normally the right solution for that error message, will not work for this problem. I am not sure why. However, do you need dnsmasq on your system? Most home users will have everything that dnsmasq is meant to do covered on their routers and by their ISPs. I simply uninstalled dnsmasq and ran the upgrade normally.

1 Like

freggel.doe

A you may have read a little higher up in this thread, another user has/had a similar problem and fixed it by downgrading

I did not see that, thanks!

Not so much a blocking issue, but a notable delay. I tested login times 4 times, each after a restart and letting the computer sit at the login screen for about 30 seconds. Clock started when I hit Enter to login, and ended when the desktop (including all tray icons) had loaded.

With the serialization commit: ~40 seconds

Without the serialization commit: ~15 seconds

That commit appears to have introduced ~25 additional seconds to load the desktop after logging in (on my slow computer). It makes sense that it would go a bit slower, since the xfsettingsd startup mode was changed to be synchronous (it now halts everything else until it is loaded) instead of asynchronous, but 25 seconds seems a bit excessive. It looks like that was done to avoid a possible race condition when loading the configuration.

1 Like

Kernel image generation fails with nettle package 3.5.1-1, system no longer boots after reboot!

==> Building image from preset: /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux419.preset: 'default'
-> -k /boot/vmlinuz-4.19-x86_64 -c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g /boot/initramfs-4.19-x86_64.img
==> Starting build: 4.19.59-1-MANJARO
-> Running build hook: [base]
-> Running build hook: [udev]
-> Running build hook: [autodetect]
-> Running build hook: [modconf]
-> Running build hook: [block]
-> Running build hook: [filesystems]
-> Running build hook: [keyboard]
==> Generating module dependencies
==> Creating gzip-compressed initcpio image: /boot/initramfs-4.19-x86_64.img
bsdcpio: error while loading shared libraries: libnettle.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No s
==> Creating gzip-compressed initcpio image: /boot/initramfs-4.19-x86_64.img
bsdcpio: error while loading shared libraries: libnettle.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
==> ERROR: Image generation FAILED: find reported an error

Reverting to nettle package 3.4.1-1 solves the issue!

Afterwards needed to reinstall nettle 3.5.1-1 to get my system booted otherwise FAILED systemd services prevent startup, problem will return with a kernel update for now

Forum kindly sponsored by