[Stable Update] 2019-07-17 - Kernels, KDE, Browsers, Systemd, Octopi, LibreOffice

Hello community,

I am happy to announce an along waited for stable update Mostly we have KDE and Mesa packages and needed security fixes for Firefox and Thunderbird with this one.

Some might noticed that since the #snapcraftsummit a lot of package changes went into Manjaro and our available RCs. Also we didn't yet announce 18.1.0-rc3 officially yet. We are still polishing the snap experience for our users. XFCE and Gnome will come with Gnome-Software and our KDE edition has Discover, both with snap support enabled.

This way everybody can easily access the snap store by a click and don't has to hassle to get snaps enabled. This enables us to ship even more proprietary software, which we couldn't before. For example check out on how you may install Spotify on Manjaro.

This update holds the following changes:

• Most of our Kernels got updated
  • Octopi is now at the latest git-commit. Report back of any regressions.
  • Calamares got needed security fixes. If you want to use luks encryption, we strongly recommend 18.1-rc4 or later!
  • Latest version of Firefox and Wine
  • Plasma5 is now at 5.16.3
  • KDE Apps are now at 19.04.3
  • KDE Frameworks is now at 5.60
  • some of XFCE, Gnome and Cinnamon packages got updated
  • A new LibreOffice release is out
  • Latest version of Mesa got added
  • Firefox is now at 68.0 - This got also pushed to our stable branch.
  • Thunderbird is now at 60.8
  • Some regular package updates like Haskell, Evolution and Xorg
  • Latest efforts by KDE can be reviewed via our current KDE-Dev ISO
  • Manjaro Juhraya ISOs got updated, including snap support pre-activated: XFCE, KDE, Gnome

Give us the usual feedback and let us know what you think about this update.

Current supported Kernels

• linux316 3.16.70
  • linux44 4.4.185 (no legacy nvidia-340 module!)
  • linux49 4.9.185
  • linux414 4.14.133
  • linux419 4.19.59
  • linux51 5.1.18
  • linux52 5.2.1 (no catalyst module!)
  • linux419-rt 4.19.50_rt22
  • linux50-rt 5.0.21_rt16

Package Updates (Tue Jul 16 07:25:33 CEST 2019)

• stable community x86_64: 1020 new and 1016 removed package(s)
  • stable core x86_64: 35 new and 34 removed package(s)
  • stable extra x86_64: 739 new and 832 removed package(s)
  • stable multilib x86_64: 16 new and 16 removed package(s)

A detailed list of all package changes may be found here.

• No issue, everything went smoothly
  • Yes there was an issue. I was able to resolve it myself.(Please post your solution)
  • Yes i am currently experiencing an issue due to the update. (Please post about it)

0 voters

Check if your mirror has already synced:

25 Likes

Known issues and solutions

This is a wiki post; please edit as necessary.
Please, consider subscribing to the Stable Updates Announcements RSS feed

Asian/CJK characters display as blocks

Install noto-fonts-cjk or another font of your choice. The problem seems related to a ttf-droid update.

https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/63205

libbloom>=1.6-2 update requires manual intervention

(Taken from Arch Linux website, 2019-07-11 by Felix Yan. Source: https://www.archlinux.org/news/libbloom16-2-update-requires-manual-intervention/)

The libbloom package prior to version 1.6-2 was missing a soname link. This has been fixed in 1.6-2, so the upgrade will need to overwrite the untracked soname link created by ldconfig. If you get an error

libbloom: /usr/lib/libbloom.so.1 exists in filesystem

when updating, use

pacman -Suy --overwrite /usr/lib/libbloom.so.1

to perform the upgrade.

Items from previous update sets

File conflict: "snapd: /snap already exists in filesystem"

If you have this file conflict, we recommend to use the command-line interface for this time and use the --overwrite option. In a command-line interface, use the following command or any equivalent of your choice:

sudo pacman -Syu --overwrite '/snap' 

Warning: audit: directory permissions differ on /var/log/audit/filesystem: 755 package: 700

Execute sudo chmod 700 /var/log/audit/ in terminal

mariadb 10.4.x update requires manual intervention

(Source: https://www.archlinux.org/news/mariadb-104x-update-requires-manual-intervention/ , 2019-06-27, by Christian Hesse)

The update to mariadb 10.4.6-1 and later changes configuration layout as recommended by upstream.

The main configuration file moved from /etc/mysql/my.cnf (and its include directory /etc/mysql/my.cnf.d/ ) to /etc/my.cnf (and /etc/my.cnf.d/ ). Make sure to move your configuration.

Instantiated services (like mariadb@foo.service ) are no longer configured in separate files (like /etc/mysql/myfoo.cnf ). Instead move your configuration to configuration blocks with group suffix in main configuration file, one for each service. A block should look something like this:

[mysqld.foo]
datadir = /var/lib/mysql-foo
socket = /run/mysqld/mysqld-foo.sock

Like every mariadb feature update this requires the data directory to be updated. With the new configuration in place run:

systemctl restart mariadb.service && mariadb-upgrade -u root -p

Some KDE System Settings may have been reset to their defaults

• System Settings > Input Devices > Touchpad > Tap-to-click
  • Scrolling
  • The compositor could get disabled during the upgrade which will stop all of the KDE eye-candy
  • (Font-)Hinting could get reset to none

XFCE 4.14-pre2 : I do not see XFCE 4.14-pre2 in the repositories!?

You won't see explicitly 4.14-pre2 anywhere on our xfce-gtk3 packages. We follow the versioning used by upstream. Here's the list of all components that are part of XFCE 4.14-pre2.

Kvantum theme reset

If you are using the Matcha theme in kvantum you may experience a theme reset. Simply install kvantum-theme-matcha if not happend yet and select the new provided variants. Manjaro 18.1 releases will ship with the new themes by default.

Issues with Octopi

Currently several users report different issues for Octopi. So if you encounter some of them, you may switch to pamac for now: sudo pacman -Syu pamac

(Note that sudo pacman -Syu pamac will both install Pamac and upgrade all upgradable packages on your system at the same time.)

Issues with DisplayCAL

DisplayCAL 3.8.1.1 - Missing python2-dbus causes failure to launch application.

Solution - Install the python2-dbus package for now. Version 3.8.2 fixes the dependency error. As and when DisplayCAL 3.8.2 reaches stable branch you can remove python2-dbus as it does not require it. Only remove python2-dbus again if you installed it specifically for DisplayCAL.

Regression with Linux firmwares on machine running Vega GPUs.

June 2, 2019: We expect it to be fixed with linux-firmware 20190514-711d329-1.1. We downgraded the firmware related to Vega GPUs to a previous version. You should now be able to use Linux 4.19 correctly.

[Stable Update] 2019-05-26 - Kernels, XFCE 4.14-pre1, Virtualbox, LibreOffice

linux-firmware 20190514-711d329-1 introduced a regression that can make the system unbootable on systems that use a AMD Vega GPUs (for example: Vega 64, Vega 56, Vega 10) and Linux 4.19.

It is a regression that affects both Manjaro and Arch Linux. Here's some links.

Arch Linux bugtracker: https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/62666
Manjaro forum: Most recent stable branch update problem
Manjaro forum: Manjaro update prevents system booting
Manjaro forum: 'linux-firmware 20190514.711d329-1' update prevents my system booting.

If you are affected by this issue, you have essentially two choices: either use a different kernel or downgrade linux-firmware. The most preferred method is the first one since it doesn't involve keeping a package to an older version. Either way, if your system is completely unbootable (not even with a command line interface), you will need to do a chroot to repair your system. For each solution suggested below, we will suppose that you need to do a chroot; skip the chroot part if you manage to reach an usable command line interface.

For the first solution, as far as we know, it works fine on Linux 5.1 and supposedly also on Linux 5.0. Follow these steps in order to be able to install a new kernel:

• Launch a live session with an installation medium;
  • Open a terminal;
  • Chroot your system. You may do so automatically with manjaro-chroot -a. On more complex system where manjaro-chroot may simply fail, you may have to do a manual chroot.;
  • Once you have chrooted on your system, use mhwd-kernel -i linux51 to install Linux 5.1 and all extra modules needed for your system. You may also try with Linux 5.0 (replace linux51 with linux50), although Linux 5.0 is expected to be End of Life soon.

(If you have multiple kernels installed on your machine, you may want to boot with other kernels before trying to install a new one.)

For the second one:

• Chroot to your system from a live session;
  • Downgrade the linux-firmware package to version 20190424.4b6cf2b-1 with pacman -U /var/cache/pacman/pkg/linux-firmware-20190424.4b6cf2b-1-any.pkg.tar.xz. If the package is not available in your local cache, use pacman -U https://archive.archlinux.org/packages/l/linux-firmware/linux-firmware-20190424.4b6cf2b-1-any.pkg.tar.xz instead.

(Note that if you know how to use downgrade, you may also use downgrade.)
(Remember that downgrading a package is merely a temporary solution, do not hold the package to a previous version forever.)

signature from "Helmut Stult (schinfo) <helmut.stult@schinfo.de>" is marginal trust

Update manjaro-keyring first. For more options read this thread:

Issues with "signature is marginal trust" or "invalid or corrupted package"

replace steam-devices with community/game-devices-udev?

Yes. The package name changed. Accept the replacement.

4 Likes

snap audiences ? download count ?

3 Likes

The ~750MB update of my KDE version went fine.
No issue!

No issue here. XFCE, kernel 4.19

Smooth update with plasma

The update works fine - now I am running with kernel 5.2.

BUT

the start until to the login screen needs about 1,5 minutes.

systemd-analyze blame shows me

905ms lvm2-monitor.service
           841ms dev-sda1.device
           525ms systemd-logind.service
           514ms home-carsten-NAS.mount
           351ms systemd-hwdb-update.service
           285ms systemd-resolved.service
           244ms udisks2.service
           227ms ModemManager.service
           224ms systemd-udevd.service
           218ms systemd-modules-load.service
           206ms systemd-journald.service
           184ms systemd-timesyncd.service
           165ms tlp.service
           158ms upower.service
           153ms ldconfig.service
           108ms polkit.service
           106ms NetworkManager.service
            95ms avahi-daemon.service
            91ms org.cups.cupsd.service
            63ms systemd-udev-trigger.service
            38ms systemd-journal-flush.service
            37ms user@1027.service
            36ms dev-disk-by\x2duuid-138bba57\x2d2e1c\x2d4cbe\x2d995b\x2dda840baa29ec.swap
            25ms systemd-tmpfiles-setup.service
            23ms colord.service
            23ms systemd-sysusers.service

System:    Host: manjaro64 Kernel: 5.2.1-1-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.16.3 Distro: Manjaro Linux 
Machine:   Type: Desktop Mobo: MEDIONPC model: MS-7728 v: 2.0 serial: <filter> BIOS: American Megatrends v: E7728MLN.208 
           date: 08/15/2011 
CPU:       Topology: Quad Core model: Intel Core i7-2600 bits: 64 type: MT MCP L2 cache: 8192 KiB 
           Speed: 1596 MHz min/max: 1600/3800 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1596 2: 1596 3: 1596 4: 1596 5: 1596 6: 1596 7: 1597 
           8: 1595 
Graphics:  Device-1: NVIDIA GF116 [GeForce GT 545] driver: nvidia v: 390.116 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.5 driver: nvidia resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: GeForce GT 545/PCIe/SSE2 v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 390.116 
Audio:     Device-1: Intel 6 Series/C200 Series Family High Definition Audio driver: snd_hda_intel 
           Device-2: NVIDIA GF116 High Definition Audio driver: snd_hda_intel 
           Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.2.1-1-MANJARO 
Network:   Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet driver: r8168 
           IF: enp4s0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter> 
Drives:    Local Storage: total: 465.77 GiB used: 17.67 GiB (3.8%) 
           ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Samsung model: SSD 850 EVO 250GB size: 232.89 GiB 
           ID-2: /dev/sdb vendor: Samsung model: SSD 850 EVO 250GB size: 232.89 GiB 
Partition: ID-1: / size: 220.44 GiB used: 17.67 GiB (8.0%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1 
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 8.80 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda2 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 34.0 C mobo: N/A gpu: nvidia temp: 46 C 
           Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A gpu: nvidia fan: 26% 
Info:      Processes: 222 Uptime: 6m Memory: 7.77 GiB used: 1.20 GiB (15.5%) Shell: bash inxi: 3.0.34 

Does everybody has a tip for me?

thanks
caho

Maybe somebody is enough? (sorry, could not resist)

2 Likes

Open a separate help request to debug this.

1 Like

@philm @oberon
Please update / fast-track deepin-system-monitor to latest version from current Arch as soon as possible, it solves this critical bug which causes full system freeze:

1 Like

I got a couple of warnings during the update:

( 8/23) Compiling GSettings XML schema files...
No such key “panels-resizable” in schema “org.cinnamon” as specified in override file “/usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas/99_manjaro-cinnamon.gschema.override”; ignoring override for this key.
No such key “use-transparent-background” in schema “org.gnome.Terminal.Legacy.Profile” as specified in override file “/usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas/99_manjaro-cinnamon.gschema.override”; ignoring override for this key.
No such key “background-transparency-percent” in schema “org.gnome.Terminal.Legacy.Profile” as specified in override file “/usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas/99_manjaro-cinnamon.gschema.override”; ignoring override for this key.
( 9/23) Updating icon theme caches...

Should I worry about these?

OK @tbg,

I will open the request soon, when I have more time for it.

thanks
caho

There is no effect with haveged ...:roll_eyes:

regards
caho

When trying to update (via terminal) I am getting this

Starting full system upgrade...
error: could not open file /var/lib/pacman/local/dnsmasq-2.80-3/desc: No such file or directory
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...
warning: could not fully load metadata for package dnsmasq-2.80-3
error: failed to prepare transaction (invalid or corrupted package)

My system says there is no updates :sob:

1 Like

My system shows I have 14 updates in the system tray but when I try to install them in terminal or Package Manager it shows everything is up to date so I feel your pain.

Hi!

maybe the mirrors of your country are not updated yet...

That's my thought also, in the USA

It could be. I am also in the U.S.