[Stable Update] 2019-05-26 - Kernels, XFCE 4.14-pre1, Virtualbox, LibreOffice

Considering how short-lived non-LTS kernel are (not even a year), I doubt it is a very good idea. People doesn't even clean up their EOL kernels after installing non-LTS kernels intentionally, imagine for people that do not check which kernel they are running at all.

It will mostly cause package conflict with nvidia-utils, breakage due to obsolete kernels/modules not being rebuilt, confusion on why they never receive kernel update anymore, etc. for a arguably marginal benefit.

For pre-editions, it is not that important which kernel they run since they are merely previews meant for testing purposes, not the ISOs meant for normal installations.

1 Like

Added information about that nasty regression on linux-firmware with Vega GPUs. Feel free to correct it since I did not follow that issue that much. IMO the most preferred option would be to change Linux version since it does not involve keeping a package to a previous version.

1 Like

Don't know if this make some difference, just want to register that when I boot with kernel linux-419 I see this in kernel log, to use:

$ systemctl status systemd-modules-load.service
● systemd-modules-load.service - Load Kernel Modules
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/systemd-modules-load.service; static; vendor preset: disabled)
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Sat 2019-06-01 22:48:10 -03; 2min 32s ago
     Docs: man:systemd-modules-load.service(8)
           man:modules-load.d(5)
 Main PID: 522 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

jun 01 22:48:02 sergio-pc systemd[1]: systemd-modules-load.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
jun 01 22:48:02 sergio-pc systemd[1]: systemd-modules-load.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
jun 01 22:48:02 sergio-pc systemd[1]: Failed to start Load Kernel Modules.
jun 01 22:48:10 sergio-pc systemd[1]: Starting Load Kernel Modules...
jun 01 22:48:10 sergio-pc systemd[1]: systemd-modules-load.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
jun 01 22:48:10 sergio-pc systemd[1]: systemd-modules-load.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
jun 01 22:48:10 sergio-pc systemd[1]: Failed to start Load Kernel Modules.

Didn't say what module is giving problem.

Could it be fixed from kernel side? Maybe somebody could test this with 4.19.47 that was recently released?

Is there more reported from the log if you do
journalctl -b | grep module

No it isn't. I reverted the firmware for vega10 cards now. Please test linux-firmware-20190514.711d329-1.1

2 Likes

Could be because of the "zram module" that gives me this warning:

`journalctl -b | grep module`

$ journalctl -b | grep module
jun 02 10:33:57 sergio-pc kernel: vhba: loading out-of-tree module taints kernel.
jun 02 10:33:57 sergio-pc kernel: vhba: module verification failed: signature and/or required key missing - tainting kernel
jun 02 10:33:57 sergio-pc systemd-modules-load[295]: Inserted module 'crypto_user'
jun 02 10:33:57 sergio-pc systemd-modules-load[295]: Inserted module 'vhba'
jun 02 10:33:57 sergio-pc systemd-modules-load[295]: Inserted module 'sg'
jun 02 10:33:57 sergio-pc systemd-modules-load[295]: Inserted module 'vboxdrv'
jun 02 10:33:57 sergio-pc systemd-modules-load[295]: Inserted module 'vboxnetadp'
jun 02 10:33:57 sergio-pc systemd-modules-load[295]: Inserted module 'vboxnetflt'
jun 02 10:33:57 sergio-pc systemd-modules-load[295]: Inserted module 'vboxpci'
jun 02 10:33:57 sergio-pc systemd-modules-load[295]: Inserted module 'pkcs8_key_parser'
jun 02 10:34:07 sergio-pc systemd-swap[603]: INFO: Zram: not part of kernel, trying to find zram module
jun 02 10:34:08 sergio-pc systemd-swap[603]: INFO: Zram: module successfully loaded
jun 02 10:34:23 sergio-pc sddm-greeter[1865]: file:///usr/share/sddm/themes/breath/components/VirtualKeyboard.qml:20:1: module "QtQuick.VirtualKeyboard" is not installed
jun 02 10:34:23 sergio-pc sddm-greeter[1865]: file:///usr/share/sddm/themes/breath/components/VirtualKeyboard.qml:20:1: module "QtQuick.VirtualKeyboard" is not installed

After updating and rebooting, I now have issues with my bluetooth keyboard (Logitech K810). It is shown as connected, but randomly stops working. Every time I have to disconnect it by clicking "disconnect" and then connect again. Anyone else has this issue? Should I start a thread?

Please don't, see https://forum.manjaro.org/t/stable-update-2019-05-26-kernels-xfce-4-14-pre1-virtualbox-libreoffice/88908/38 and [SOLVED]Bluetooth fail after 2019-05-17 stable update first.

1 Like

The second link helped, thanks! Problem solved by going back to kernel 4.14 (I was not sure about trying a real-time kernel)

Interesting, I didn't notice when Manjaro switched from kernel 4.14 to kernel 4.19... I also skipped the previous update - still not sure whether it's a really bad practice to skip updates or not.

And now I'm tempted to go back to this thread just to tell the poster who recommended ditching bluetooth that I've had much more stable experience with it in Manjaro than I'd ever had in Windows. :slight_smile:

After updating, when I try to start my docker containers, my machine becomes unresponsive, almost freezes after a few seconds.

Not related to the upgrade.

XFCE 4.14 is supposed to use GTK 3, right? In the repositories there are still separate xfce-gtk3 packages. What are the differences? I always used the "normal XFCE packages without gtk3 in their name. Do I get GTK 3 based XFCE with this 4.14-pre1 update?

The main fs is btrfs. Nearly all mounts are from one partition.
The bind-mounts are from the same partition as @(/). They are only subvolumes.
So i hope the subvolume @nosnap is ready when it will be bound to /var/cache

In the fstab all binds are placed after the mount of @ to / and @nosnap to /var/nosnap.

Andreas

My Samba shares suddenly mounting read-only. I think it began with most recent update to Thunar. It occurs in multiple xfce (x64)installations. It works with no issue when I use Nautilus. I dislike Nautilus, though. Similar problem noted here in Arch Forum.
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=246594

Could be the same problem as discussed in these threads:

1 Like

The manjaro-zsh-config package of @Chrysostomus is key expired PGP. All signatures have been updated.

1 Like

Didn't realize this was a Thunar issue and been going out of my mind to fix this with Samba settings.

Thank you for posting this. I can cancel my therapy session now that I know. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just to add about printer issues ... needing to reboot after one printout. On 2nd image being sent to printer, says 'unable to locate printer', but, after reboot, when desktop opens/wifi connects again, image prints out.

thunar-gtk3 had that issue patched since 1.8.4-5.
Version 1.8.6-1 (current stable) should still have the temporary patch to fix that.

It was recently fixed upstream, and 1.8.6-3 will have the upstream fix. If you want to just upgrade that, you can use the following (since it is already in Testing):

(The following makes sure your system is up-to-date, switches the branch to testing, updates only the thunar-gtk3 package, switches the branch back to stable, makes sure everything else is in alignment)

sudo pacman -Syu
sudo pacman-mirrors --api -B testing
sudo pacman -Syy thunar-gtk3
sudo pacman-mirrors --api -B stable
sudo pacman -Syyu

NOTE: If you already have a samba share mounted, you'll need to re-mount it. The quickest way to make sure you have a fresh mount is to reboot.

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion, however I discovered something thanks to your reply. The Manjaro system with the Thunar bug mentioned doesn't have thunar-gtk3 installed but Thunar File Manager version 1.8.6-1 and instead of Phil as the packager, it shows Evangelos Foutras. The machine is running an older up-to-date Manjaro install.

thunar-gtk3 is not listed when searching in Pamac.

So switching to testing, the machine would update to thunar 1.8.6-2 rather than thunar-gtk3-1.8.6-4 .. not sure if this version has the update it's dated may-24 and the gtk version is may-30.

Edit: SOLVED ---> Followed your suggestion and replaced thunar 1.8.6-1 with 1.8.6-2 and we're up and copy/paste using Samba.

I cannot thank you enough for your assistance! :joy_cat:

1 Like