[Stable Update] 2019-02-19 - Kernels, KDE, LibreOffice, Systemd, VirtualBox, Deepin, Qt, Firmwares, Wine

update
stable

As you know , my update policy is the same as yours . Close to three years of running Manjaro without an issue , and that with me being a dumpster fire mentally for the last third of it because of my health issues . Your second talking point in this post is the reason I was never a good fit in the Mint community , I have no empathy for those unwilling to take the time to perform a minimum of research to learn anything about the OS they installed on their computer. I have no easy answer for this situation but I’d hate like hell to see this forum turn in to a carbon copy of Mint’s with an influx of people that want their work done for them by someone else . Maybe an announcement in pamac with instructions for them to ignore ?

Really?

Try two posts up … read.

An operating system must work for the user and not the other way around. That does not prevent the user from trying to find the solution to their problems and learn

Thanks for Manjaro

Since the update i can no longer get to the graphical interface, tty works though. I’m using KDE with catalyst. The updating process itself went without errors, though i had to reboot via systemctl. Any advice on how to proceed would be appreciated.

This operating system does work for the user , the onus is on the user to learn how to use it .

Well said.

Believe it or not I am a refugee from Arch. I came to Manjaro because I just got sick of the elitist attitudes, horrendously callous community that perpetually bleats out “RTFM!”, aloof developers, and absurd myths like “You have to use Arch so when it breaks you learn how Linux works.” as if learning about your system and breakage is specific to Arch.

My point being that the developers and community here is the opposite of everything with Arch. Since I pretty much get to use what I learned from Arch without having to learn an entirely new set of ways to update, maintain, navigate the system etc. it is a VAST improvement.

Sometimes I like to do what Frog does because I enjoy an adventure every once in a while. Sometimes Manjaro works so smoothly that after a few months with “nothing” I find myself hoping that something will bork out. lol

Anyhow, love this community.

Perhaps if more of the people who have problems would also run Testing it might help the Devevlopers sort things out before it goes to Stable?

1. Larger updates … particularly Stable. The more change in a single update the greater the chances of issues arising. Stable update nowadays tend to be bi-monthly and huge. Wasn’t always the case.

2. Much larger Stable user base, thus much larger hardware base, and much more varied system configs. All this leads to many more config combos in stable not tested in unstable or testing.

3. Less technical Stable user base, announcement threads not read or understood leading to issues that could be avoided.

4. Systemd ! Not the first time a major systemd update has crashed x sessions, halting updates midway, and borking systems. Won’t be the last either, unfortunately, the tty lesson won’t be learned.

I have the same doubt @Termy. Did you update? If so, how did it go?

Update: Discussion about this is here :point_right: Warning: blueman: directory permissions differ on /usr/share/polkit-1/rules.d/filesystem: 750 package: 755

my 2cents: Updates went perfect for 5 out of 6 laptops I tested. However, for one laptop it was a mess and the guy didn’t know much about computers so I had to fix it for him.

I Love Manjaro! However I think the Stable should be more Stable and I think there is a middle way to maybe fix this: integrate Timeshift with pamac-manager and the system overall. The perfect solution would be to automatically take a snapshot of the system before any big update and there to be a very easy way to restore the system in case of failure, even a complete failure (maybe accessible through GRUB?). Like if the computer does not boot again, users to be faced with a graphical interface that will allow them to restore to before the update. Make it easy for people :wink:

I made a custom Manjaro Gnome and I rely on telling people they have to set up Timeshift - it is easy, yet as reported here Timeshift doesn't create scheduled snapshots the automatic backups do not work unless you open the terminal and start cron jobs. Too much hassle for normal users and will confuse them.

If backups would be somehow integrated into such a Linux distribution by default, and it would be easy to restore the system and/or even to report a crash directly to the Manjaro team, it will spare the Manjaro dev lots of time and will make people less angry. :wink:

I found a script on this forum someone made, that would trigger Timeshift before any update. Maybe that’s a start.

Much respect for the Manjaro team for all of their volunteer work!

Tell him

Link missing :slight_smile:

Isn’t it wonderful to be needed? :wink: :slight_smile:

In case of need he have to buy something with the bitten fruit.

After much needed reading, I updated my system without any issues. Used TTY to do it.

DE: XFCE
Kernel: linux419 & linux414.

Since this is a major update, thought of sharing my gyaan for a safe updating experience:

• Read up! Always read up forum posts on Stable updates. Keeping an eye on the testing updates posts will give you a heads up on what is coming. That will help you alot.

• Backup your system. Timeshift (I noticed this tool thanks to @sueridgepipe) . A lot of people have already mentioned this above. Just going to repeat it. Take a timeshift snapshot.

• If you’re on a hardware that is supported by LTS kernels, by all means use LTS kernels. Download the latest two kernels. You can always fallback into the other one if one of 'em panics/breaks!

• Finally a latest step that I am going to do from this update, use TTY for all the updates. I used to use my terminal. But going to TTY by default for all the updates. (I use sudo pacman -Syyu to install updates.)

The above steps have helped me have :100:% successful and safe updates on my setup so far. Hope this helps someone. Reply to this if I have missed something. I can add it so that all the recommendations are in one place. Feedback are welcome!

PS: Something definitely is huge w/ this update. My system seems fast overall after the update. Maybe it is just a feeling. But anyways. Thanks Manjaro Team!

Chris had a bad experience with the latest Manjaro update

I switched to manjaro precisely because of rolling updates. If I wanted something old and stable, I’d be running System V.

It’s exciting seeing a bunch of updates, hitting start (I use pamac gui) and go for a coffee. I always make bets on the way back to the office if the system is still alive or not.

So bottom line… Bring it on! :+1:

@tchavei - Haha nice! Exactly the reason why I left Ubuntu 3-4 years ago. Another reason for Manjaro is because I didn’t like Arch (because ugghhh! I have to babysit the system all the time!) and NO Antergos, just NO!

I just use Manjaro for doing things. I used to have more time before where I was OK w/ troubleshooting my system. Now a days, I prefer my system just working to get out of the way so that I can get things done. With the above recommendations, that is what I am expecting to achieve.

I do have to admit! I do feel spoilt w/ Manjaro (in the most good intentions possible! :wink:) because of my ~3 years here. Now a days I feel more nervous about breakages! Haha! getting old and spoilt I guess! :smiley:

Probably should - although the chances of needing a third mirror are very small. It is fine to do this from the konsole.

Only pacman -Syu will be needed (since you will have already done pacman -Syy). No better or worse to do it all from TTY but it might be more (or less) convenient for you.

I don’t know if anything will change. :man_shrugging: Waiting a day or two would not hurt unless you have an immediate need for one of the updated packages.

Thank you very much for the reply. Clear and concise.
:+1:

Don’t know the technical of my setup, I setup LUKS when installing Manjaro, and have two other drives with full disk encryption. I am asked the password to unlock the boot drive every boot. I had no issues.

KDE, Kernel 4.20

To be honest, I didn’t try copying and pasting. I just went into Calc, typed in a few digits, tried to Backspace, and saw it didn’t work. That was enough to convince me to move to the -still branch. :slight_smile:

Can anyone help me out with this, please?

atd has authentication failure in journalctl log.

There is new at update we probably need this.

at-3.1.23-3 is in unstable now.
https://manjaro.moson.eu/unstable/community/x86_64/at-3.1.23-3-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz

sudo pacman -U https://manjaro.moson.eu/unstable/community/x86_64/at-3.1.23-3-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz

You can also try cronjob instead.