[Stable Update] 2019-02-09 - Kernels, Deepin, Firefox, Wine, Python, Haskell

update
stable

Nope, screen turns black and I have to do a hard reset.
But I better leave 4.20 and focus on 4.19 in the near future, being lts and all. :wink:

Ow, wait, 4.19 is showing me this low res as well… :confused:

Aaaand,for some reason reinstalling the video-linux driver solved this problem… :thinking:

Update on 12 Systems and 1 VB without Problems.

DK3

I wouldn’t have thought of that. One of these days I’ll remember Occam’s razor.

Openbox install now has black screen, I can get to a prompt and log in, but then there are no network. Kernel 4.20.3-1.
If I chose any of the older kernels then it does not get to load the system at all. Is there a way to start the network from here?
I tried to reinstall kernel and there are some errors in the end:
“Failure to communicate with kernel device-mapper driver
Incompatible libdevmapper 1.02.154 (2018-12-07) and kernel driver (unknown version)”?

The Stable Update for 2019-02-09 never showed up in the update notifications. Upon checking repositories, there was one in the US that wasn’t updated yet. After four days of waiting, I finally used ctrl+alt+F2 > sudo pacman -Syyuu > after update > ctrl+alt+F7. All updates went well. Thanks for the update. Shine on Manjaro Team.

The update went fine, but yesterday an update notification appeared that i cannot figure out.

:: firefox and firefox-kde-opensuse are in conflict. Remove firefox-kde-opensuse? [y/N]

Why is it trying to install firefox package when it is not installed? And why only yesterday and not at the day of the update pack release?

You got a new FF because of a separate security update.

If you wait a bit, you should be able to keep your kde-opensuse version:

What i don’t understand is why firefox wants to be updated when it is not even installed? Was it added as a dependency somewhere or from where does it come?

If you provided the full output of pacman -Syu rather than a single line it might give more information about what it’s doing.

Sorry for omitting it, i just thought nothing of interest was there.

sudo pacman -Syyu
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core                                                                                                                          148,5 KiB   663K/s 00:00 [##############################################################################################] 100%
 extra                                                                                                                        1863,4 KiB   691K/s 00:03 [##############################################################################################] 100%
 community                                                                                                                       5,2 MiB   687K/s 00:08 [##############################################################################################] 100%
 multilib                                                                                                                      186,7 KiB   747K/s 00:00 [##############################################################################################] 100%
:: Starting full system upgrade...
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...
:: firefox and firefox-kde-opensuse are in conflict. Remove firefox-kde-opensuse? [y/N] 
error: unresolvable package conflicts detected
error: failed to prepare transaction (conflicting dependencies)
:: firefox and firefox-kde-opensuse are in conflict

also

sudo pacman -R firefox
error: target not found: firefox

The logic is something like this:

The firefox-kde-opensuse package “provides” firefox.

There’s an update available for firefox.

pacman tries to perform the upgrade.

firefox conflicts with firefox-kde-opensuse.

The answer is to wait.

I am no packager, though it still doesn’t make sense. IMHO there should be some way…
If FF-opensuse cannot exist with FF, shouldn’t they have also Conflicts or Replaces?
I 'm sure you’ll find out :wink:

Yes, firefox-kde-opensuse conflicts with firefox. Check pacman -Si $packagename.

Yeah i will wait. As petsam said it does not make sense.

Sorry, I was on mobile…

I think (see my disclaimers…) FF-opensuse should not point to a specific version, since it also… HAS a version.

firefox=65.0

IDK if it should also have “Replaces”, but you should know better :man_shrugging:

It’s the language packs that cause the issue, they are packaged to require a specific version of Firefox to be installed.

It takes me at least a day longer to compile Firefox for kde once I notice that arch updated it. The issue is when @jonathon pulls the vanilla firefox, he also pulls all the language packs as well. That is what causes pacman to try to install Firefox and conflict with the older version of Firefox-kde-opensuse.

As already posted, I update firefox-kse-opensuse last night, it will take time for @jonathon to pull it. You only need to wait for jonathon to pull my package into Manjaro’s branches.

NOTE: My firefox-kde-opensuse package doesn’t use replaces, it properly uses provides and conflicts: https://github.com/netrunner-rolling/PKGBUILD-netrunner-common/blob/master/firefox-kde-opensuse/PKGBUILD

split this topic #126

9 posts were split to a new topic: Update broke after using ArchLinux-Mirrorlist-Manager

By the way, after updating my computer sometimes freezes for a few seconds every now and then, not deadly but certainly annoying

It lasted one day and now the issue is back. :confused:

split this topic #133

2 posts were split to a new topic: Is there a problem using GUI update manager?