[Stable Update] 2019-02-09 - Kernels, Deepin, Firefox, Wine, Python, Haskell

update
stable

Depicts my experience
never had as little trouble with my OS as in the last 3 years with Manjaro :smiley:

And then I have to change my os
 :confused:

All 5 Dell/Intel machines updated fine through the tty.
As always great work and a big thank you :+1:

Alex

All ok, KDE kernel 4.19, tty pacman, working well, thanks Manjaro team

Update without problem. The only doubt is that I can not get into TTY mode with closed user session on my laptop through the combination of keys Ctrl-Alt-F2 

The update I made via terminal with user session started with the command sudo pacman -Syyuu, is that correct?

System:
  Host: atreides-pc Kernel: 4.20.7-1-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64 
  Desktop: Gnome 3.30.2 Distro: Manjaro Linux 
Machine:
  Type: Laptop System: Hewlett-Packard product: HP G62 Notebook PC 
  v: 0497100000252710001020000 serial: <root required> 
  Mobo: Hewlett-Packard model: 143A v: 60.21 serial: <root required> 
  BIOS: Hewlett-Packard v: F.0A date: 06/14/2010 
CPU:
  Topology: Dual Core model: Intel Core i3 M 350 bits: 64 type: MT MCP 
  L2 cache: 3072 KiB 
  Speed: 1375 MHz min/max: 933/2266 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1136 2: 1429 
  3: 1441 4: 1399 
Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel Core Processor Integrated Graphics driver: i915 v: kernel 
  Device-2: AMD Park [Mobility Radeon HD 5430/5450/5470] driver: radeon 
  v: kernel 
  Display: x11 server: X.org 1.20.3 driver: radeon 
  resolution: <xdpyinfo missing> 
  OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Ironlake Mobile v: 2.1 Mesa 18.3.2 

Thanks Manjaro team

Powered by Google Translator :sweat_smile:

split this topic #75

A post was split to a new topic: Deepin VM DM segfault

Unlike the last update, everything went well, but I was afraid a little bit, it will be a problem. :slight_smile:

What is the “safest” way to update per terminal?
Is it sudo pacman -Syyuu ?
Or are there better ways?
Thank you for your work!

I prefer pacman -Syyu but always read the release notes at the top of each release.

The final u is only needed if you want to enable downgrade. sudo pacman -Syyu is the standard way. Otherwise, pamac update does exactly the same thing (sudo not needed here, pamac asks you for password).

I prefer pamac as it can check updates from the AUR too if you have it enabled. It also has a more “human” syntax. Check this - Pamac CLI

Permission problems also give those warnings. Sometime programs need a lower level read permission, but permissions change to root only rw.

pacman is run as root though so that shouldn’t be the issue here?

Hi,
Thank you, Manjaro Team!. Update process went fine.
jochoa@jochoa
Kernel: x86_64 Linux 4.19.20-1-MANJARO
Uptime: 22m
Packages: 1179
Shell: bash 5.0.0
Resolution: 1366x768
DE: KDE 5.54.0 / Plasma 5.14.5
WM: KWin
WM Theme: Breath
GTK Theme: Breath [GTK2/3]
Icon Theme: maia
Font: Noto Sans Regular
CPU: AMD A8-7410 APU with AMD Radeon R5 Graphics @ 4x 2.2GHz
GPU: AMD MULLINS (DRM 2.50.0, 4.19.20-1-MANJARO, LLVM 7.0.1)
RAM: 1200MiB / 3401MiB

When using pacman the proper and safely adequate (or adequately safe) command is

pacman -Syu

You only need to run two yy when/if you change mirrors, or other mirror/repo basic change or init. Not for normal/everyday usage.

It’s pity (only IMHO) that a lot of users use to always re-download databases, even if they don’t need to (are already up-to-date). It’s a waste of Global Internet bandwidth and Global power consumption (but who cares?..).

It’s also awkward (to me) that a lot of users rush updating their systems, like if there is some war or challenge, when they don’t have a special reason (a new package will solve an ongoing issue etc
). But it’s a personal choice

I said it! Now keep on with what you were doing!.. :laughing:

When I searched linux418 in pamac-gui I only saw 4 items green box/installed: linux418 {kernel and modules} and the 418 nvidia driver, and ditto for 418-rt. I just checked 418 kernel and 418 nvidia driver for removal in the gui without using the terminal and it worked [it is gone]. Have now updated successfully, did I miss something? Seemed too easy :slight_smile: thanks

Nope, if that was all that was listed you are good. Nice that it works from the pamac-gui. :smile:

Thanks for the update. I made the update and receive this warning message meaning that it was impossible to pick the information of the files for usr/lib/python3.7 up:

Avertissement: impossible de récupérer les informations de fichier pour usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/psutil-5.4.8-py3.7.egg-info/
Avertissement: impossible de récupérer les informations de fichier pour usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/psutil-5.4.8-py3.7.egg-info/PKG-INFO
Avertissement: impossible de récupérer les informations de fichier pour usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/psutil-5.4.8-py3.7.egg-info/SOURCES.txt
Avertissement: impossible de récupérer les informations de fichier pour usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/psutil-5.4.8-py3.7.egg-info/dependency_links.txt
Avertissement: impossible de récupérer les informations de fichier pour usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/psutil-5.4.8-py3.7.egg-info/not-zip-safe
Avertissement: impossible de récupérer les informations de fichier pour usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/psutil-5.4.8-py3.7.egg-info/top_level.txt
Avertissement: impossible de récupérer les informations de fichier pour usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/psutil/__pycache__/__init__.cpython-37.opt-1.pyc
Avertissement: impossible de récupérer les informations de fichier pour usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/psutil/__pycache__/_common.cpython-37.opt-1.pyc
Avertissement: impossible de récupérer les informations de fichier pour usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/psutil/__pycache__/_compat.cpython-37.opt-1.pyc
Avertissement: impossible de récupérer les informations de fichier pour usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/psutil/__pycache__/_exceptions.cpython-37.opt-1.pyc
Avertissement: impossible de récupérer les informations de fichier pour usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/psutil/__pycache__/_psaix.cpython-37.opt-1.pyc
Avertissement: impossible de récupérer les informations de fichier pour usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/psutil/__pycache__/_psbsd.cpython-37.opt-1.pyc
Avertissement: impossible de récupérer les informations de fichier pour usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/psutil/__pycache__/_pslinux.cpython-37.opt-1.pyc
Avertissement: impossible de récupérer les informations de fichier pour usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/psutil/__pycache__/_psosx.cpython-37.opt-1.pyc
Avertissement: impossible de récupérer les informations de fichier pour usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/psutil/__pycache__/_psposix.cpython-37.opt-1.pyc
Avertissement: impossible de récupérer les informations de fichier pour usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/psutil/__pycache__/_pssunos.cpython-37.opt-1.pyc
Avertissement: impossible de récupérer les informations de fichier pour usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/psutil/__pycache__/_pswindows.cpython-37.opt-1.pyc
Avertissement: impossible de récupérer les informations de fichier pour usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/psutil/tests/__pycache__/__init__.cpython-37.opt-1.pyc
Avertissement: impossible de récupérer les informations de fichier pour usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/psutil/tests/__pycache__/__main__.cpython-37.opt-1.pyc
Avertissement: impossible de récupérer les informations de fichier pour usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/psutil/tests/__pycache__/test_aix.cpython-37.opt-1.pyc
Avertissement: impossible de récupérer les informations de fichier pour usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/psutil/tests/__pycache__/test_bsd.cpython-37.opt-1.pyc
Avertissement: impossible de récupérer les informations de fichier pour usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/psutil/tests/__pycache__/test_connections.cpython-37.opt-1.pyc
Avertissement: impossible de récupérer les informations de fichier pour usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/psutil/tests/__pycache__/test_contracts.cpython-37.opt-1.pyc
Avertissement: impossible de récupérer les informations de fichier pour usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/psutil/tests/__pycache__/test_linux.cpython-37.opt-1.pyc
Avertissement: impossible de récupérer les informations de fichier pour usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/psutil/tests/__pycache__/test_memory_leaks.cpython-37.opt-1.pyc
Avertissement: impossible de récupérer les informations de fichier pour usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/psutil/tests/__pycache__/test_misc.cpython-37.opt-1.pyc
Avertissement: impossible de récupérer les informations de fichier pour usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/psutil/tests/__pycache__/test_osx.cpython-37.opt-1.pyc
Avertissement: impossible de récupérer les informations de fichier pour usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/psutil/tests/__pycache__/test_posix.cpython-37.opt-1.pyc
Avertissement: impossible de récupérer les informations de fichier pour usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/psutil/tests/__pycache__/test_process.cpython-37.opt-1.pyc
Avertissement: impossible de récupérer les informations de fichier pour usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/psutil/tests/__pycache__/test_sunos.cpython-37.opt-1.pyc
Avertissement: impossible de récupérer les informations de fichier pour usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/psutil/tests/__pycache__/test_system.cpython-37.opt-1.pyc
Avertissement: impossible de récupérer les informations de fichier pour usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/psutil/tests/__pycache__/test_unicode.cpython-37.opt-1.pyc
Avertissement: impossible de récupérer les informations de fichier pour usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/psutil/tests/__pycache__/test_windows.cpython-37.opt-1.pyc

In Pamac, I see that python is not a AUR package, but an “extra” one.

What should I do?

Thanks in advance.

No problems with the update!

Just one thing that caught my attention,
lightdm: local (1:1.28.0-1.1) is newer than extra (1:1.28.0-1)

May I ask why was lightdm was downgraded?

Have problems with both of my test-machines and lot of them reproduceable with VM:

Some of them is Deepin / 4k related, some Manjaro only