[Stable Update] 2019-01-23 - Kernels, Mesa, Browsers, Nvidia, Deepin, VirtualBox

Hi community,

Welcome to our fourth stable update of 2019. With this we added a lot of new packages into the mix. So what do we have with this one?

• most Kernels got updated. Note that linux44 is currently frozen, as some proprietary drivers don’t build with 4.4.168+. We also removed linux417 and linux418. If you still use these series, please move on to linux419 series and uninstall them, as we won’t compile any extramodules for them from now on.
  • some updates to Cinnamon and Deepin
  • rebuilds against new readline and libidn2, therefore please keep close attention to your upgrade and report any issues on those matters
  • KDE Framework is now at 5.54.0
  • Mesa is now at 18.3.2
  • Palemoon is now at 28.3.1
  • Firefox is now at its eleventh beta release of v65 series
  • Virtualbox got its first stable point-release of v6.0 series
  • Nvidia got updated to 415.27
  • the regular python and haskell updates

We hope with all these changes Manjaro to be more efficient for you all.

FOSDEM19

Some of our core developers will join PINE64 Inc. at FOSDEM19 in Brussels. We will establish an even more closer relationship with this ARM based company. Also we are looking forward to see your reactions on the big announcement PINE64 Inc. will do at FOSDEM19. Stay tuned for any upcoming news.

Partnership with FCS Linux Aarhus

We are happy to announce a new partnership with FCS Linux Aarhus owned by @linux-aarhus. This enables us to offer you Laptops with Manjaro pre-installed and Manjaro Stickers you can use on your own hardware or gift them to a friend. For each sale FCS will donate a percentage to the Manjaro project.

Manjaro v18.0.2 released!

To end the year with a high note we updated our flagship ISOs of Manjaro Illyria with the latest packages. It comes with refreshed packages and updated tools. You may want to download our XFCE Edition with the latest 4.13 packages, aswell as our most recent styling efforts. Our KDE fans may try our KDE Edition with the latest KDE v5.14 instead. And our GNOME fans may try our Gnome Edition with the latest GNOME v3.30.

Current supported Kernels

• linux316 3.16.62
  • linux318 3.18.132 [EOL]
  • linux44 4.4.167 [FZN]
  • linux49 4.9.151
  • linux414 4.14.94
  • linux419 4.19.16
  • linux420 4.20.3
  • linux414-rt 4.14.93_rt53
  • linux416-rt 4.16.18_rt11
  • linux418-rt 4.18.16_rt9

Package Updates (Sat Jan 19 08:24:22 CET 2019)

• stable community x86_64: 823 new and 808 removed package(s)
  • stable core x86_64: 51 new and 56 removed package(s)
  • stable extra x86_64: 401 new and 429 removed package(s)
  • stable multilib x86_64: 19 new and 14 removed package(s)

A detailed list of all package changes can be found here.

• No issue, everything went smoothly
  • Yes there was an issue. I was able to resolve it myself.(Please post your solution)
  • Yes i am currently experiencing an issue due to the update. (Please post about it)

0 voters

Check if your mirror has already synced:

21 Likes

Known issues and solutions

This is a wiki post; please edit as necessary.
Please, consider subscribing to the Stable Updates Announcements RSS feed

Can’t update with linux417 or/and linux418 present

Since we have completely removed those kernel series you should remove those kernels before you upgrade. Most likely you will notice that as you may have extramodules like nvidia installed. Those got updated and therefore complain about dependency issues.

Notifications looking weird in XFCE

Since the package dunst includes now dunstfy in the main package notifications may not displayed properly in XFCE. Please uninstall that package to solve that issue. Normally not needed in that edition.

Potential issues with dunstify-1.3.2-1 package

Upstream decided to include dunstify now in the dunst package. However, they didn’t add any replace, conflicts tags to that package, as Arch never packaged dunstify before. Therefore we try to remove dunstify automatically via manjaro-system package. On rare cases however, a manual user invention might be needed to remove the package. If that is the case, please issue the following command manually on your system: sudo pacman -Rdd dunstify && sudo pacman -Syu

Items from previous update sets

Warning: PACKAGE: directory permissions differ on FILENAME

A file or directory on your system has a set of permissions which is different to those in the new package. You can either ignore it (because you changed it yourself) or you can change them so they match.

For example, for this message:

Warning: blueman: directory permissions differ on /usr/share/polkit-1/rules.d/filesystem: 750  package: 755

you can change the local file to match the package with:

sudo chmod 755 /usr/share/polkit-1/rules.d/filesystem

How do I do updates via TTY-terminal?

• Press CTRL+ALT+F2 (or F3, F4, F5, F6) to go into a pure command line interface.
  • Once logged in, you’ll have access to a CLI shell, like if you were using a terminal. Use pamac upgrade or sudo pacman -Syyu (or other equivalent command) to update your system.

To go back to your regular desktop, press CTRL+ALT+F7. On some systems, it can be CTRL+ALT+F1 instead.

i3 changed its default config path

It seems that (from version >= 4.16) i3 is looking for its configuration in ~/.config/i3/config instead of ~/.i3/config.
Copy your config to the new path and all should work as before. (reported from an i3-gaps user).

I can’t open Nemo with elevated privileges (as root)

Workaround found: Use the dbus-x11 package instead of the regular dbus package. This package is available in the official repositories and provides dbus compiled without the --without-x option.

To replace dbus with dbus-x11 package, simply install dbus-x11 with your favorite package manager: dbus will be replaced by dbus-x11.

AMD-Ucode introduction

Unless you’ve already done this previously, All users of AMD-APUs/CPUs should install this update like this:

sudo pacman -Syyu
sudo pacman -S amd-ucode
sudo pacman -R intel-ucode
sudo update-grub

Step 3 is optional.

Rebuilding fontconfig cache: failed to write cache

Please ignore this message. Upstream already works on a solution. More about the issue here.

LibreOffice has no window decoration in KDE

New line export SAL_USE_VCLPLUGIN=gtk3_kde5, once merged into existing /etc/profile.d/libreoffice-fresh.sh , fixes a moderately longterm issue. If it doesn’t work for you, you may use gtk instead of gtk3_kde5 as UI framework.

Installing glibc (2.28-4) breaks the dependency “glibc=2.27” required by lib32-glibc

Install the update either:

• from terminal: sudo pacman -Syu or;
  • with Octopi instead of Pamac.

Something using Perl/Python/glibc broke

Rebuilds needed!

• If it’s an AUR package, try to reinstall it from AUR. It most likely needs to be rebuilt.
  • If it’s a repo package, please report and check back regularly for updates.

I’ve lost a Thunderbird addon/feature

Thunderbird 60 disables incompatible addons by default. There’s an about:config switch should you want to force-enable the addon, but many addons simply will not work with the newer Quantum-based Thunderbird.

Read more about Thunderbird 60 here: Thunderbird 60

Firefox - WebGL not working anymore

You may try the following solution:

Open about:config and set security.sandbox.content.read_path_whitelist to /sys/.

3 Likes

I was on systemd 239.303-1, so I issued the command sudo pacman -Syyuu which offered to downgrade me to 239.6-2.2. After downgrading to this version pacman -Syu reports that there’s nothing to do. I assume I need to upgrade to 239.6-4. What’s the best way to do that? Thank you.

edit
Solved the issue by doing sudo pacman-mirrors -f then sudo pacman -Syu.

Most likely your mirror wasn’t updated yet, so you got what was announced a few days ago.

Just sayin’, mirrors doesn’t sync instantaneously. Sometime, it can take several hours before they get the new packages. Some mirrors syncs more often than others.

People should start to worry after something like a whole day.

2 Likes

I’ve got some errors during updates:
(13/20) Creating system user accounts…
/usr/bin/systemd-sysusers: error while loading shared libraries: libidn2.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
few lines like this but libidn2 is installed.

Requiescat In Pace

1 Like

Update today as of 21:15 UTC, no results.

alias update-all="sudo pdnsd-ctl empty-cache; sudo systemctl restart pdnsd; sudo pacman-mirrors --geoip ; cat /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist; yaourt -Syyuua "

https://mirrors.ocf.berkeley.edu/manjaro/stable/

Screenshot_2019-01-23_13-08-59

Screenshot_2019-01-23_13-44-53

EDIT: corrected screen grab of Pale Moon

$ sudo pacman -Qii systemd-sysvcompat
Name            : systemd-sysvcompat
Version         : 239.6-2.2
Description     : sysvinit compat for systemd
Architecture    : x86_64
URL             : https://www.github.com/systemd/systemd
Licenses        : GPL2
Groups          : base
Provides        : None
Depends On      : systemd
Optional Deps   : None
Required By     : None
Optional For    : inxi  systemd
Conflicts With  : sysvinit
Replaces        : None
Installed Size  : 29.00 KiB
Packager        : Philip Mueller <philm@manjaro.org>
Build Date      : Sat 19 Jan 2019 10:02:52 AM PST
Install Date    : Sun 20 Jan 2019 06:57:48 AM PST
Install Reason  : Explicitly installed

Perfect. Great work! :+1: xfce

1 Like

Thanks. I didn’t read all infos, now it is ok.

1 Like

That mirror has not yet been synced:

https://repo.manjaro.org/

Wait an hour or so and check the status of your mirror again.

1 Like

Update went successfully on 2 KDE machines running Kernel 4.19!

perfect update :+1:

whoaa ! we have a new package lsd now my manjaro is heavenly :star_struck:

3 Likes
could not satisfy dependencies:
installing nvidia-utils (1:415.27-1) breaks dependency 'nvidia-utils=1:415.25' required by linux418-nvidia

Yes, I have kernel 4.18 installed but I’m not using it. Not a problem but maybe there can be more user friendly message in such cases? Just a suggestion…

EDIT: I have also 4.14.94-1 installed but nothing complains about deps.

Any idea why pamac-manager displays weird characters in the log?

Configuring pacman-mirrors ...
::e[1;37mINFOe[1;m Downloading mirrors from repo.manjaro.org
hint: use `pacman-mirrors` to generate and update your pacman mirrorlist.

Please check and if not yet reported, please report it.

1 Like

Thanks to a Arch trusted user. =’)

1 Like

@philm : thank you so much ! my games rocks now !! i wait since here : https://forum.manjaro.org/t/rx-580-very-bad-perfomance-in-dirt-rally-and-grid/45759

Big big improvement in Fps !!! i could play now !!

I think it’s related to Mesa

Perfect update for me :+1::+1::+1:

Great update on 2 stable machines running Plasma. Many thanks to everyone. Only the laptop left to do.

Turns out it was already reported, so I added a comment.

Failed to commit transaction
invalid or corrupted package:

and no package name appears. This is not new for me. This happened during last upgrade.

Also there is a warning:

Warning: faba-icon-theme: downgrading from version 1:4.3-1 to version 4.3-1
Warning: dependency cycle detected:
Warning: bashrc-manjaro will be installed before its bash dependency
Warning: nvidia-utils will be installed before its mesa dependency
Warning: nvidia-utils will be installed before its mesa dependency

When retrying I see mc is downloading every time.
When trying with pacman -Syu instead of pamac I’m getting:

[...]
(311/311) checking package integrity                                                                               [####################################################################] 100%
error: mc: key "Alad Wenter <alad@archlinux.org>" is disabled
:: File /var/cache/pacman/pkg/mc-4.8.22-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz is corrupted (invalid or corrupted package (PGP signature)).
Do you want to delete it? [Y/n] 

So pamac is not able to handle such case.

Oh, and there is a 2nd pkg:

Downloading faba-icon-theme (4.3-1-any)...
Checking keyring...                                                                                                                                                                  [311/311]
Checking integrity...                                                                                                                                                                [311/311]
Error: faba-icon-theme: key "Alad Wenter <alad@archlinux.org>" is disabled
Error: Failed to commit transaction: invalid or corrupted package:

Please note, that pamac-manager is displaying the last message without pointing to the affected package, and without giving a reason.

Edit 2: This helped me: Problem with certificates while doing update - pamac-manager was not able to perform upgrade. Also pacman warned me:
warning: faba-icon-theme: local (1:4.3-1) is newer than community (4.3-1)

Forum kindly sponsored by