[Stable Update] 2018-12-23 - Kernels, Cinnamon, XFCE, Nvidia, Pamac, Firmware, Brave

update
stable

Seems you were fine with linux-firmware 20181026.1cb4e51-1. On 20181214.8aa9e3e-1 no new amdgpu was added. I rather think the issue might be with amd-ucode package on your end, which may need the newer amdgpu firmware. We will see if others have similar issues.

Seems the firmware was faulty. Therefore I’d removed them. Please issue a sudo pacman -Syyuu if you face similar issues.

Reverting Kernel update?
[Testing Update] 2018-12-22 - Systemd 239.370-2

Hi, the stable update looks fine.
Kernel: x86_64 Linux 4.19.12-2-MANJARO
Uptime: 3m
Packages: 1167
Shell: bash 4.4.23
Resolution: 1366x768
DE: KDE 5.52.0 / Plasma 5.14.4
WM: KWin
WM Theme: Breath
GTK Theme: Breath [GTK2/3]
Icon Theme: maia
Font: Noto Sans Regular
CPU: AMD A8-7410 APU with AMD Radeon R5 Graphics @ 4x 2.2GHz
GPU: AMD MULLINS (DRM 2.50.0, 4.19.12-2-MANJARO, LLVM 7.0.0)
RAM: 997MiB / 3401MiB

:santa:

You’re more than welcome to help, the more the merrier. :slight_smile:

what exactly does pacman -Syyuu do compared to just pacman -Syyu?
Also I get this error when I go to update in the terminal with pacman -Syyu. Should I run -Syyu first then run -Syyuu or something?

:: Starting full system upgrade...
warning: linux-firmware: local (20181214.8aa9e3e-1) is newer than core (20181026.1cb4e51-1)
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (2) linux419-4.19.12-2  linux419-headers-4.19.12-2

Total Download Size:    84.16 MiB
Total Installed Size:  189.52 MiB
Net Upgrade Size:        0.00 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] 

It synchronizes the databases and set everything in order. Newer packages than in the databases will be automatically downgraded with the second y applied.

The second u allows for a downgrade.
The trick on reading the man page:
https://www.archlinux.org/pacman/pacman.8.html#_sync_options_apply_to_em_s_em_a_id_so_a

is to not search for uu (or yy for that matter), but to look for:

Pass this option twice to enable package downgrades; in this case, pacman will select sync packages whose versions do not match with the local versions. This can be useful when the user switches from a testing repository to a stable one.

Personally, if my system is working fine, I never downgrade.

I’d point out that you could jump ahead with the firmware, depends on your issue.

Getting fresh install up and running by a Manjaro newbie

Hi!
I just skipped an update from linux firmware 4.19.12.1 to 4.19.12.2. Work fine

Thanks

Any plans for Virtual Box 6?

telegram-desktop is out of date 1.4.3 and new one is 1.5.3

No Problems on two XFCE Systems.

Woke up this morning and realised that this is a common but spurious error with nvme disks; we can ignore the error or we can get rid of it by removing 60_memtest86+ from /etc/grub.d

See this topic for further clarifications. Sorry for my memory lapse. I wonder if it is Alzheimer (which I’m not aware of) or my senility kicking in. I like to think it is a trait of a genius. Everybody suffers from confirmation bias, Dunning-Kruger effect and cognitive dissonance. I’m no exception. :grinning:

Cheers.

I don’t think this has anything to do with this particular update set?

However, you might read

Maintained upstream in Arch.

These packages have been flagged as out of date almost a week ago but have not hit Arch Testing yet.

You can keep track of them here …

https://www.archlinux.org/packages/?sort=-last_update&arch=x86_64&q=virtualbox&maintainer=&flagged=

I always had this warning. Not very important as everything works but my OCD would bite me each time I saw that message. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction to remove it. Kudos.

Tony

Another smooth upgrade, Merry Christmas or Seasons Greetings to all and it still hasn’t helped
me play the piano!

I was having issues with freezing right before the KDE login screen. As I understand it, it’s due to some issue with linux-firmware.

The suggestion by @Tomari in this thread to force a linux-firmware update to a more recent version was the only way that I was able to get 4.19.12-2 to boot. Downgrading the linux-firmware as suggested by @philm here did not allow me to start neither 4.19.12-1 nor 4.19.12-2 up.

Luckily for me, I was able to get back in via kernel 4.18.20-1 to force the update.

CPU: Ryzen 2700x
GPU: AMD RX560

2 posts were split to a new topic: Can’t install VirtualBox extension pack

[partial solution] Can't install VirtualBox extension pack

Have fun with it :smile: