[Stable Update] 2018-12-02 - Kernels, Plasma, Mesa, Cinnamon, Gnome, Deepin, XFCE, Vulkan

update
stable

It crashed manjaro when I try to upgrade from GUI, left me with only a cursor in all tty’s for a while. Then login window came back, I login, but no wireless. I shutdown the computer and relogin, pamac GUI showed 194 new package. I ignored it and went to tty, made pamac upgrade, it showed 83 new package. Upgrade went well, no problem here now.

Thanks.

How can pamac be considered a replacement for pacman if updating via pamac-gui crashes the system? This must be fixed.

How can we redicule Windows updates if the main updating/package management tool crashes the whole system in an ordinary update?

I mean, why not toggle it to a safe mode (aka use the ty) to do that by itself. The whole idea of a stable update is, that it won’t crash the system.

Since Manjaro v18.0 Pamac is the only package manager we recommend for CLI and UI. Simply open a terminal or TTY and type pamac.

why not embed an terminal in pamac gui to do upgrades

What is it with you guys. The X-Session will crash, also when using pacman. It is strongly recommended not to update this one in a graphical session at all!!!

I love Manjaro, but this cannot be the solution for a user friendly distro, which Manjaro is aiming to be.

Why not have pamac put out a notice to do that? This is why a replacement for pacman would make sense: More user friendliness. If it is only the command names, that’s not good enough.

Don’t get me wrong: Sure, I don’t like your push with pamac for several reasons, but this could be a way to shine. It would get me on board for sure, if these “stable update” random crashes could be prohibited.

Manjaro is rolling model, that is there is now way to test all possible cases and provide updates in short time…

ok but what about an switch button in pamac which uses ctrl+alt+f2 to tty for upgrades
or an notification for upgrades to do in a tty
some people dont check forum so an notification for recommended way to upgrade system

We only can test as much as we do. I’m running XFCE and KDE on my end. If you look at the testing threads you might notice that we also had issues posted against Pamac. The testing update was even tagged to crash your system:

We always try to find a way. Since a TTY update worked, we went thru with the update. Most likely the issue is due to systemd. Since nasty security issues we had to push it at some point.

That is why we also do announcements on twitter and youtube.

With the upcoming homepage we will even track all news necessary.

youtube, forum, twitter is all good but most important is in pamac.there is need to show notification or news section. in which it tells user to do an certain upgrade in tty, as this upgrade might cause problems when done in gui.
an regular manjaro linux user might not be checking any social media but uses pamac.to do updates.
it can be applied for the stable branch only.
as mostly newbies are stable users.some of the problems may be avoided with this.advanced user dont need this.but pamac need to show when an upgrade is big it need to be done in tty.

Yes, that was my first attempt to fix it.

I agree with you as well. I am not a noob with Linux but also not that smart yet to know that I MUST need a terminal in some cases. Luckily I tested it on my laptop first which I barely use so I can learn from this experience but I was also under the assumption that some updates would be installed but only ‘active’ after a machine restart so to speak. So that it does not interfere with currently running processes.

I would not expect a update to replace/update things that are currently in use.

I do hope that the update manager will get a system that notifies the user that doing it through the terminal is highly recommended. I did went to the forum first before updated but didn’t think about the GUI terminal and the other terminal so I went with the GUI terminal which is probably just as bad as using the package manager.

XFCE4 panel issues here also. OK after boot, but after minimizing a few windows to it, it disappeared and I couldn’t get access to it.

’ sudo downgrade xfce4-panel-gtk3 ’ to ’ xfce4-panel-gtk3-4.13.3-11-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz ’

has solved that for me.

XFCE panel issues after 2018-12-02 Update

It was stupid of me to ruin my stable Cinnamon during this update. I didn’t read the warning and updated via Terminal. Oh well, it was one of my side OSes so no big loss. Testing KDE, Windows 7 and data partitions are still intact. I’m reinstalling stable MATE anyway.

P.S. Don’t be like me! Read the warning and do as directed! :cry:

I’m not sure what you mean, because the described problem has nothing to do with GNOME, it has to do with the kernel. Your experience only means that your laptop is not affected by the problem. As said, a fresh installation with working suspend, then the upgrade and suspend is broken, then installing of the older kernel and suspend is working again. Means something has changed with the new kernel that is causing this problem, and it has nothing to do with the used DE.

And thats an ongoing Issue that we face 2-3 times a year. It would be nice to do it like gnome-software and download the packages in background, restart to an “update environment”, update, restart to the normal system. So the user does not have to fear GUI crashes, that lead to many hard resets and because of this broken updates.
Thing is that not all users read the forums and it’s completely manjaros fault if we shipp updates that are known to crash something.

No, please. I hated that about gnome software when I first started using Korora. I switched to updating in the terminal emulator while logged into Gnome desktop (not tty), except for upgrades to the next Fedora release.

Hi!!!
Updated the desktop pc via pamac without problems. The update of the laptop using the terminal but with gnome graphical session started, broke the system and I could not restart

Thanks for Manjaro!

Five machines updated via TTY-terminal. Absolutely no issues so far. Awesome work Manjaro team!

Gnome 4.19 Nvidia, no problems here.