[Stable Update] 2018-12-02 - Kernels, Plasma, Mesa, Cinnamon, Gnome, Deepin, XFCE, Vulkan

update
stable

Everyone loves the car analogies. So, you buy yourself a new car , but can’t be bothered to do any of the maintenance that the manufacturer recommends. Well guess what you just voided your warranty, and if your engine blows up it’s not the manufacturer holding the bag it’s you.

You’re running a rolling distro. This isn’t a Debian based distro where the components change once a decade. If you want to run on, (or near) the bleeding edge, you’re best to do your due diligence. On a rolling distro that means reading the release announcements.

Sorry, no sympathy from me. Same for all the rest of the lazy Windows refugees who never do any backups then cry a river when their mistake costs them a drive’s contents. Coulda, woulda, shoulda. Sorry, that’s all on the heads of the ones who are too lazy to put in any effort of their own.

Every time you point the finger at the distro there’s four pointing back at you. I could keep em coming all day. In other words take some responsibility for your own system.

(edit) here’s a tip for you. When you see a monster update, wait on it. I always do. Phill just downgraded the systemd upgrade. If you’d waited like me, the fix would already be out for what caused the breakages.

NVIDIA 415.18 has some issues so I’m using NVIDIA 396.XX from tk-glitch to mediate.

[Tk-Glitch] replied [5 days ago]

It didn’t. Transform feedback/Vulkan changes are still locked behind the Vulkan dev drivers. The “problem” is that 415 series is a ■■■■■■■■ so I wanted to keep 396 around.

[ryanmusante] replied [4 days ago]

415 series dev/regular both cause wine staging to freeze for me.

[Tk-Glitch] replied [4 days ago]

Yeah, you’re not the first one having such an issue with 415. Also, all unity games are broken because of the new tls lib… I’ll keep 396 around for as long as needed

look, what we have here, a troll, in a linux forum, how surprising.

I know what rolling and stable distro’s are. I run pure arch & debian-server both on my other pc’s, and i really think you’re the one who’s misinformed (and opinionated to boot).

A rolling update model is supposed to be a gradual flow of small-ish updates, not a big bada boom stack of unholy mess where you can’t even keep track of what’s going wrong and where.

Well guess what you just voided your warranty, and if your engine blows up it’s not the manufacturer holding the bag it’s you.

Sorry, that’s a not an analogy, that’s autistic grade verbal diarrhoea.

4.19 is not EOL, infact it’s borderline Beta, so if anything, it should be handled like such.

Sorry, no sympathy from me.

I was providing my own feedback, as asked, your sympathy means nothing to me, and wasn’t asked for in the first place.

Same for all the rest of the lazy Windows refugees who never do any backups then cry a river when their mistake costs them a drive’s contents.

Drives aren’t the only things that fail, and not all failures are user-induced. (edit:) Btw, users coming in from Windows to Linux can hardly be called refugees. (at least get your trolling right, damnit!)

Coulda, woulda, shoulda. Sorry, that’s all on the heads of the ones who are too lazy to put in any effort of their own.

Getting uppity with your winnings in a russian roulette, you must be a real smart man.

I could keep em coming all day.

Sure you could, that’s what makes a troll.

If you look at that user’s statistics, you will see that your statement is completely wrong.

Then switch to testing or unstable.

If you look at that user’s statistics, you will see that your statement is completely wrong.

From the survey, I can only assume that ~15% of installs got borked, and even that isn’t a small number by any measure.

But for you to say that it’s the other way round (read: completely wrong), I would really like to know how you were able to infer that from the survey alone, given the huge amount of variations that Manjaro has between all of it’s flavors and configurations.

Then switch to testing or unstable.

Maybe i will, but i don’t yet know what broke my system, and that’s why I am here.

I wasn’t referring to the survey but to the short passage I put into quotes (“and i really think you’re the one who’s misinformed”).

That said, yes, it’s true that way too many installations got borked.

I wasn’t referring to the survey but to the short passage I put into quotes (“and i really think you’re the one who’s misinformed”).

People can be misinformed and bigoted in more ways than you or i could count. :stuck_out_tongue:

My theming issue with xfce4-panel-gtk3 resolved itself with the update just pushed by Philm, but I also noticed that my existing theme settings for icon and gtk theme had been wiped, meaning that no theme/icon were selected in “Appearance” in XFCE Settings Manager.

Once I reapplied theme and icon, all was good.

How come you decided yet again to update with pamac/gui after reinstalling Manjaro? It seems a strange decision considering you:

1. run pure Arch - terminal updates are the norm there, and you would be aware of the recommended practice to check update announcements/news first;
  2. were aware it was a huge update;
  3. had already borked it the first time round using GUI update.

That said, I do agree that it would be useful for pamac to have an early warning popup for updates where tty is advisable. That way, users who persist in using GUI after receiving the warning can no longer complain.

All is fine here in the land of Lxqt. Keep up the great work guys. @philm why do you recommend using pamac in the CLI (tty) for upgrades instead of say, pacman?

I noticed in a comment below in this thread that @philm states that since 18.0 pamac is recommended method for upgrade in either CLI or GUI. I personally always upgrade using the CLI and wanted to ask why pamac CLI is favoured over pacman CLI? Is there a technical reason?

How come you decided yet again to update with pamac/gui after reinstalling Manjaro?

Well I had made some changes to the system and installed some low level stuff, so I thought that it might have been the culprit, I only came here when it failed yet again, after a clean reinstall, and failed Rsync backups.

Btw, this will be my 3rd attempt, and I yet to have a workable, stable system, and this time around I did it all as advised, inside a pure tty-shell, with no X.

MHWD still crashes, timeshift still can’t run, Gnome or Manjaro settings still freezes the system…

I will try again by shifting to testing branch and see if the systemd downgrade helps out in anyway. :crossed_fingers:
(edit: nope, still the same as before, even on testing… cant even run mhwd or lspci, once triggered, in some way, the entire systems enters into a soft lock, gui appears functional, but is anything but functional, no internet, no terminal, all windows just hang indefinitely. :sob:)

run pure Arch - terminal updates are the norm there, and you would be aware of the recommended practice to check update announcements/news first.

Yeah, but that pure-Arch PC is quite standard as far as hardware goes, plus even on arch manual interventions aren’t that frequent (I only recall one important manual update for the entirety of last year). The Manjaro PC otoh is quite an eclectic piece with Nvidia/Optimius and other unsupported Hardware.

were aware it was a huge update

not really aware, but i did notice it being rather big.

Aha. Have you tried with 4.14 kernel? Since you said that 4.19 can be considered borderline beta still.

Or you can try reinstalling via Manjaro Architect. I borked my Cinnamon Stable Minimal last night. This morning I succeeded in installing Gnome Stable Minimal. System is always up-to-date after M-A installation and has no issues of any kinds. (Was about to install MATE instead but gave Gnome a try. Then I realized that Gnome isn’t all that bad) :yum:

Have you tried with 4.14 kernel?

I am thinking of downgrading to 4.18, but I have to know what’s breaking up, otherwise it’s just an exercise in frustration, beyond what I am already having.

The installations that got borked were all originally via Manjaro-Architect + Gnome Minimal, the last one is with the GUI installer, but again, both are giving me similar problems.

Done.

Nah, not really a technical reason. But pamac is an in-house product, so it is only reasonable to recommend your own solution.

Technically they are more or less the same, different implementation of the same underlying backend. So use whatever you are more comfortable with, syntax-wise or whatever.

Oh, that’s strange! M-A never fails me. There must be something hardware related or some configuration stuff you made during the installion process. I’m no expert here so just wish you solve the issue soon. :four_leaf_clover: