[Stable Update] 2018-12-02 - Kernels, Plasma, Mesa, Cinnamon, Gnome, Deepin, XFCE, Vulkan

update
stable

I also had problems with the xfce panel, but this tip helped solve it.

Please tell me if xfce4-panel-gtk3 4.13.3-15 fixes the issue for you.

Well, I still assume it is systemd which crashes the systems. However we have some security issues within systemd. Same also happened to Arch. So I should have waited for it? It is really hard to test those things when your own system didn’t crashed at all. I also had no issues reported when I added it to the testing branch again.

Did the system crashed or what is it? I’m able to generate a fresh Gnome ISO without an issue. So general speaking a fresh installation should be fine with current packages in our stable branch. If needed I can spin new ISOs.

I agree to that. Seems I kicked some of those installations outta orbit. I still can’t pinpoint the issue, which will crash the system. Especially not when we have such a great update as this one.

I didn’t test Deepin at all. usr/lib/libdtkcore.so.2 is provided by dtkcore 1:2.0.9.9-1. Does a reinstall of that package help?

Sounds like a regression to me. Since I don’t suspend my work machines to RAM I didn’t test that. However, the #bladebook still seems to work. Will give it another spin. If wanted, you can check if 4.19.5 also had the issue. Let me know if you also need some extramodules matching to that kernel (for example nvidia).

I also updated my workstation always in graphical mode. Never had a crash or issue. However I’m using unstable :stuck_out_tongue:

Well, we hope we had found the issue, which got pamac stuck. But yes, having a CLI package manager on hand is always good.

In that case I adopted changes made to the Arch kernel.

Well, this is harder to be done as you may say here. If I do a sync from Arch in unstable and I build our overlay packages against it, I have a set of packages I can move to testing. Then we may need to test this set of packages and move it after fixing issues to our stable branch. Then sync again from Arch to do it again. When I don’t sync daily from Arch I might have also a huge set of packages in our unstable branch. Then it will be hard to figure out which package might have an issue. In the end it might be a fulltime job only testing packages in variants of installations. That is why I only test XFCE, Gnome and KDE. All other combinations are tested by the community. Will think about a new strategy. Maybe I simply should have kept systemd as it was, including the security risk for stability sake.

This was already asked in the forum. See also here.

I will try to help you via your new thread.

philm, yes installing xfce4-panel-gtk3 4.13.3-15 seems to have solved the issue for me. Thanks.

Okay, i restored my last Snapshot and run pacman -Syyu again from TTY without starting a cinnamon session. Same result: Could not connect to session bus: … bla blub
My last try was much better.
After booting in text mode from grub menu, the update went smoothly without any error message.

Boot in text mode

The additional effort is worth it :slight_smile:

I have just tried 4.19.5 and can confirm that suspend is working!

So the regression is from 4.19.5 to 4.19.6.

Please let me know if there is anything else that I can do to help tracking down the problem.

Concerning extra modules for 4.19.5, my system only uses the one for r8168, which came with all kernels. Package linux419-r8168-8.045.08-6-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz is installed, which came with 4.19.6 and I don’t know if there needs to be a separate one for 4.19.5.

I notized firefox doesn’t launch anymore. Terminal output:

XPCOMGlueLoad error for file /usr/lib/firefox/libxul.so:
libhunspell-1.6.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Couldn't load XPCOM.

Since it is a secondary browser I can not be certain that it worked right before the update, but I suspect that something broke. Since no one else seems to have an issue (and firefox being used a lot) there may also be an issue on my end. Either way I would be thankful for any help resolving.

Firefox version is β€œfirefox-kde-opensuse-beta” which seems to require a different version of hunspell, which is installed and up-to-date as version 1.7 (and not 1.6)

Edit: Shame on me: firefox-kde-opensuse-beta as the name implies was a different version I installed as a workaround way back. Replaced with firefox-kde-opensuse from repos and working flawlessly. Sorry for that :slight_smile:

Updated in yakuake just to see what the fuss was about.

Uneventful :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t think reply #185 in a thread is really announcing anything. This is a kernel setting that changes core system behavior for almost everybody. A change which invalidates users’ udev rules for single-queue framework with no warning. Very recently announcements were made at the top when 4.19 switched default schedulers from bfq-sq to cfq. A change to mq-deadline is an even bigger change. So this seems strange to me.

The system freezes during the update and does not restart. I made a clean installation and updated well via pamac
Saludos

PD.: english powered by Google translator :wink:

Thank you kind sir! I use ZIM myself, but it’ll see if I can port it somehow or something.

Then i shall help you. Whilst it might not have been your intention, your choice of words in your OP might have been interpreted by some nervous Manjaroos as intimating some generic/global fault with this kernel, by which i mean an implication that nobody using said kernel would be able to Suspend. I merely wished to point out that in fact by logic it is not / cannot be a generic/global fault, given my Lappy was not affected… & since my earlier reply i can now also say that my updated Tower also continues to Suspend properly. Ergo, other Manjaroos can accept this kernel comfortable in the knowledge that they have at least a fighting chance their result might be happy like mine, not sad like yours.

Hi everyone!
Manjaro XFCE here. Radeon HD 5770 and Catalyst driver. Kernel 4.19.6-1
Something went very wrong with this update. I am not sure what to do next. The system still works fine so far (not updated), but when I try to update I’m getting this message:

conflicting files:
python-pypubsub: /usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pubsub/LICENSE_BSD_Simple.txt already exists in filesystem
python-pypubsub: /usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pubsub/RELEASE_NOTES.txt already exists in filesystem
python-pypubsub: /usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pubsub/init.py already exists in filesystem
python-pypubsub: /usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pubsub/pycache/init.cpython-37.pyc already exists in filesystem
python-pypubsub: /usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pubsub/pycache/pub.cpython-37.pyc already exists in filesystem
python-pypubsub: /usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pubsub/core/init.py already exists in filesystem
python-pypubsub: /usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pubsub/core/pycache/init.cpython-37.pyc already exists in filesystem
python-pypubsub: /usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pubsub/core/pycache/annotations.cpython-37.pyc already exists in filesystem
python-pypubsub: /usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pubsub/core/pycache/callables.cpython-37.pyc already exists in filesystem
python-pypubsub: /usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pubsub/core/pycache/listener.cpython-37.pyc already exists in filesystem
python-pypubsub: /usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pubsub/core/pycache/notificationmgr.cpython-37.pyc already exists in filesystem
python-pypubsub: /usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pubsub/core/pycache/publisher.cpython-37.pyc already exists in filesystem
python-pypubsub: /usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pubsub/core/pycache/topicargspec.cpython-37.pyc already exists in filesystem
python-pypubsub: /usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pubsub/core/pycache/topicdefnprovider.cpython-37.pyc already exists in filesystem
python-pypubsub: /usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pubsub/core/pycache/topicexc.cpython-37.pyc already exists in filesystem
python-pypubsub: /usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pubsub/core/pycache/topicmgr.cpython-37.pyc already exists in filesystem
python-pypubsub: /usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pubsub/core/pycache/topicobj.cpython-37.pyc already exists in filesystem
python-pypubsub: /usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pubsub/core/pycache/topictreetraverser.cpython-37.pyc already exists in filesystem
python-pypubsub: /usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pubsub/core/pycache/topicutils.cpython-37.pyc already exists in filesystem
python-pypubsub: /usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pubsub/core/pycache/weakmethod.cpython-37.pyc already exists in filesystem
python-pypubsub: /usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pubsub/core/annotations.py already exists in filesystem
python-pypubsub: /usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pubsub/core/callables.py already exists in filesystem
python-pypubsub: /usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pubsub/core/listener.py already exists in filesystem
python-pypubsub: /usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pubsub/core/notificationmgr.py already exists in filesystem
python-pypubsub: /usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pubsub/core/publisher.py already exists in filesystem
python-pypubsub: /usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pubsub/core/topicargspec.py already exists in filesystem
python-pypubsub: /usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pubsub/core/topicdefnprovider.py already exists in filesystem
python-pypubsub: /usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pubsub/core/topicexc.py already exists in filesystem
python-pypubsub: /usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pubsub/core/topicmgr.py already exists in filesystem
python-pypubsub: /usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pubsub/core/topicobj.py already exists in filesystem
python-pypubsub: /usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pubsub/core/topictreetraverser.py already exists in filesystem
python-pypubsub: /usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pubsub/core/topicutils.py already exists in filesystem
python-pypubsub: /usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pubsub/core/weakmethod.py already exists in filesystem
python-pypubsub: /usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pubsub/pub.py already exists in filesystem
python-pypubsub: /usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pubsub/utils/init.py already exists in filesystem
python-pypubsub: /usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pubsub/utils/pycache/init.cpython-37.pyc already exists in filesystem
python-pypubsub: /usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pubsub/utils/pycache/exchandling.cpython-37.pyc already exists in filesystem
python-pypubsub: /usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pubsub/utils/pycache/misc.cpython-37.pyc already exists in filesystem
python-pypubsub: /usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pubsub/utils/pycache/notification.cpython-37.pyc already exists in filesystem
python-pypubsub: /usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pubsub/utils/pycache/topictreeprinter.cpython-37.pyc already exists in filesystem
python-pypubsub: /usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pubsub/utils/pycache/xmltopicdefnprovider.cpython-37.pyc already exists in filesystem
python-pypubsub: /usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pubsub/utils/exchandling.py already exists in filesystem
python-pypubsub: /usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pubsub/utils/misc.py already exists in filesystem
python-pypubsub: /usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pubsub/utils/notification.py already exists in filesystem
python-pypubsub: /usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pubsub/utils/topictreeprinter.py already exists in filesystem
python-pypubsub: /usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pubsub/utils/xmltopicdefnprovider.py already exists in filesystem

I did the update (xfce) as usual via terminal on a graphical session. I was lucky and everything worked fine . I just checked the logs and I have no errors to report.
I take the lesson: Read the damn announcement before you update
Thanks to the Manjaro Team for your great work!

Update, got it, thanks:
[2018-12-03 19:07] [ALPM] upgraded xfce4-panel-gtk3 (4.13.3-14 -> 4.13.3-15)
No problems before or after.
[bob@Manjaro-Stable ~]$ screenfetch

β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ bob@Manjaro-Stable
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ OS: Manjaro 18.0.1-rc1 Illyria
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ Kernel: x86_64 Linux 4.19.6-1-MANJARO
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ Uptime: 15h 13m
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ Packages: 1112
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ Shell: bash 4.4.23
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ Resolution: 1920x1080
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ DE: Xfce4
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ WM: Xfwm4
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ WM Theme: Agua
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ GTK Theme: Clearlooks [GTK2]
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ Icon Theme: gnome
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ Font: Noto Sans 11
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 @ 4x 3.4GHz [46.0Β°C]
GPU: GeForce GT 720
RAM: 955MiB / 7908MiB

Why do you recommend pamac over pacman under CLI?

Same problem .
The new manjaro use xfce4-panel-gtk3 will crash .My old machine with manjaro installed since v17 use the old package xfce4-panel.
To fix the problem, use β€œdowngrade” to downgrade xfce4-panel-gtk3 to older version . Or remove it and install xfce4-panel.

I have 2 machine, one installed with manjaro18 iso, and one installed with manjaro17 iso.
The old one witch installed with xfce4-panel can update without problem, but the new one witch installed with xfce4-panel-gtk3 crashed.
Downgrade to old version of xfce4-panel-gtk3 fixed the problem.

You may try the newer package of xfce4-panel-gtk3:

sudo pacman -U https://manjaro.moson.eu/pool/overlay/xfce4-panel-gtk3-4.13.3-15-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz

CLI in pamac is a newer thing. We added it feature complete with Pamac v7.3. Some might not know that pamac now also supports CLI. I only spread the awareness. Use the CLI package manager you like best.

Well, I need to know more about your machine. Open a new thread and add the needed information there. The changelog might give you also a clue what might had broken the suspend function on your end. If the r8168 module still works, we don’t have to do anything about that.

Welp, this update broke my system so hard even my timeshift backups couldn’t fix it.

Firefox doesn’t launch, Chromium does start but its all gray and doesn’t display anything, infact any web/node based app just doesn’t work, even when launched from the terminal, it just hangs without any message.

glxinfo, glxgears, inxi, mhwd all hang and freeze the pc, can’t even shut it down properly.

even strace hangs midway… :angry:

Went ahead and re-installed Manjaro, only to have it update itself again, and get borked, again. All Updates were via pamac/gui. :sob:

For our overlords. if updates aren’t meant to be handled normally, and need tty-ing, please make some kind of announcement via pamac, so at least the users know what they are dealing with, these kind of nasty surprises just gives manjaro a bad-rap.

shi**y system breaking updates are why I left windows, and it will be why I might leave manjaro. not cool!