[Stable Update] 2018-10-28 - Systemd, Nvidia, Pamac, Bootsplash, Deepin, Firefox

update
stable

1. Will this smooth-boot, fully flickerfree ever be available for LTS kernels?
    I have default:
    4.14.78-1-MANJARO #1 SMP PREEMPT Sun Oct 21 07:57:51 UTC 2018 x86_64 GNU/Linux

2. If I install 4.19 will it change to 4.20 automatically when it is released or I will have to do it with command?

Kernels are updated (4.19.1 to 4.19.2) like other packages, but not upgraded (4.19 to 4.20). You will need to install it yourself – you have mhwd for doing so, including the graphical way.

Kernel 4.19 willl be assigned LTS status at some point or maybe it is already done?

4.19 will automatically replace black screen of the qiet grub option (if you have it enabled) for vendor logo. However, there are more things to do for flicker free experience. There are some intel parameters and others to set to avoid loading certain screens at boot. I believe there is a link to those additional things on the guide above.

And like @maycne.sonahoz said, kernel is updated but never automatically upgraded to newer number. That is something you must do yourself from manjaro settings menu. Besides, you can have multiple kernels installed. It’s a good practice to have at least one LTS kernel and some newer one (if you want it). For example, I had 4.14 and used 4.18. Now when 4.19 is made official I installed it so I have 3 kernels but the newest is used. At some point I will uninstall 4.18 (it will be EOL) and will have 4.14 and 4.19. When 4.20 or 5.x will come, I will switch to it, uninstall older LTS 4.14 and will have only 4.19 LTS and whatever the newest kernel is. Or maybe I will uninstall 4.14 sooner? Probably ;). Anyway, we have choice and easy tool to manage kernels so that’s great.

This is however only my choice. You can sit on LTS kernel and don’t switch. It depends on hardware you have. Oftentimes newer kernel don’t offer any visible improvement but sometimes it introduce important features as better power management (which TLP can use), better memory handling, etc.

I got this when I use Linux 4.14:

[drm:intel_pipe_update_end [i915]] *ERROR* Atomic update failure on pipe A (start=1863239 end=1863240) time 1879 us, min 763, max 767, scanline start 732, end 37

I’m using Qtile + Compton now.

Try install ttf-dejavu font
sudo pacman -S ttf-dejavu

Yeah, I get that too on various kernels. Not sure if that is doing something bad thou.

Plasma-vault doesn’t open vaults since last update. Removed cryFS and plasma-vault and reinstalled but no luck.

Check if the destination folder is empty (also hidden files)

You can always mount on other locations,

All went well on Xfce with Kernel 4.19.

I would like to repeat my question asked earlier: How do I get back the initial bootscreen showing ”Linux 4.19-x is being loaded, Initial ramdisk is being loaded…“ (actually, in German it says ”wird geladen“, and it is on two lines).

I have just the ”quiet“ in the Linux Command Line in /etc/default/grub after the previous updates, and the grub.pacnew doesn‘t give a clue. Removing the ”quiet“ lets it get too talkative.

Asking for your help! Thanks in advance.

I still use “vertex-mai-icons” because new icon set “papirus-maia” and IMHO other papirus icons have many missing app icons and on Xfce they don’t fit with panel looks and feel, papirus-maia icons set need retouch regards on Xfce.

Both external monitors are set on the settings

Have changed according to your instructions on Xfce 4.13. Everything works, thank you.
:+1:

@flipper
Thanks for the hint.
Mounting the cryFS volumes works. It’s only the front end plasma-vault which is not functioning.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.