[Stable Update] 2018-10-19 - Kernels, KDE, Xorg, VB, PHP, Mesa, Nvidia, Pamac

update
stable

Thanks! It’s obvious when you know it :slight_smile: I needed to remove video-nvidia-390xx first, after that video-nvidia wanted to install and nvidia-settings now shows the 4.10 series driver is installed @nieee.

Tried reinstalling the free graphics card drivers, different kernels (4.14.71_rt, 4.18.15), no changes to the situation. I have no idea how to solve this issue beyond this point. Can you give me a hint on how to identify the root cause of these issues - if it’s based on X, or xfce or graphics drivers, or, or, or.
Which would be the log files of those items?

Compose key stopped working as it used to.

Just jumped off the sofa when things worked suddenly again.
I did the following:

1. Killed the X-session
  2. sent a “pkill X”, just to be sure all X sessions are down
  3. sent a “sudo X -configure” to build fresh configuration
  4. Opened XFCE with “startx” and yes! worked.

…but only partially. After rebooting, the win was lost again.

However what really helped was the following:
Remove all contents from within the ~/.cache/sessions directory
Doing a reboot I was finally able to enjoy my xfce desktop again fully.
For reference / this was the solution I had found: https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?pid=21520#p21520

This my solution, just in case others have similar issues.
:relieved:

13 posts were split to a new topic: System broken after reboot during updates

If you’ve installed pamac or pamac-dev recently, check if pamac-mirrorlist.timer is enabled.
systemctl list-timers

To disable it:
sudo systemctl disable pamac-mirrorlist.timer --now

Thanks!
I did install pamac recently and I think you have identified the problem.

(I also noticed a new pamac-cleancache.timer which I disabled similarly as I do not know how many ‘backups’ it removes. I manually do paccache -rvk 2 after each update to keep one ‘backup’ and no more.)

Having a small issue with wifi icon on XFCE. Even though I am connected, icon is empty. (See screenshot)

When I click on wifi icon, it tells me I’m not connected, and the device isn’t ready. Unfortunately I can’t screenshot that as it won’t let me… But have taken a photo of it…

Edit, I did yesterday’s update hoping it might fix it, but no luck. BTW this is happening on both 4.14 and 4.19 kernels, and also a Vbox image XFCE 4.14 kernel.

Edit2.If I restart network manager, the icon corrects its self, so only an issue after a reboot.

Hi,
Great job, Manjaro Team.
With the last update I could successfully print via samba on both HP printers shared by two different PC ( Windows) from my laptop with Manjaro KDE Plasma, although an an initial message saying “Session setup failed NT_STATUS_INVALID_PARAMETER” appeared.
System: Host: jochoa Kernel: 4.14.78-1-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.14.1
Distro: Manjaro Linux
Machine: Type: Laptop System: HP product: HP 255 G4 Notebook PC v: Type1ProductConfigId serial:
Mobo: HP model: 80CB v: 99.46 serial: UEFI [Legacy]: Insyde v: F.20 date: 01/26/2016
Battery: ID-1: BAT1 charge: 22.9 Wh condition: 29.7/29.6 Wh (101%)
CPU: Quad Core: AMD A8-7410 APU with AMD Radeon R5 Graphics type: MCP speed: 2196 MHz min/max: 1000/2200 MHz
Graphics: Device-1: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Mullins [Radeon R4/R5 Graphics] driver: radeon v: kernel
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.2 driver: ati,radeon unloaded: modesetting resolution: 1366x768~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: AMD MULLINS (DRM 2.50.0 4.14.78-1-MANJARO LLVM 7.0.0) v: 4.5 Mesa 18.2.3
Network: Device-1: Broadcom Limited BCM43142 802.11b/g/n driver: wl
Device-2: Realtek RTL810xE PCI Express Fast Ethernet driver: r8169
Device-3: Qualcomm Atheros AR9271 802.11n type: USB driver: ath9k_htc
Drives: Local Storage: total: 931.51 GiB used: 76.07 GiB (8.2%)
Info: Processes: 183 Uptime: 18m Memory: 3.33 GiB used: 1.20 GiB (36.1%) Shell: bash inxi: 3.0.26

Hope it help, regards

I am currently experiencing an issue with chromium. It randomly loggs me out of the browser when closing it. As soon as I start the browser again, I am asked to reenter my credentials… This happens roughly 7 out of 10 times and is starting to get rather annoying.

Anyone else with that problem here?

Hi Sky42,
Take a look at this post.

Hope it helps

Something similar happened after this update. I opened Chromium and it asked me for my user password (keyring password). I am not using Chromium for any logged in sites or SSBs, so I cancelled out a couple of times and continued. I haven’t seen it happen again, so I chalked it up to random weirdness.

Am I the only one that noticed severe battery performance degradation with linux 4.18.12-1?

My battery is not new, but capacity has not decreased appreciably. However, I would estimate a ~30% decrease in work time off the grid.

Turns out it was an incompability of a plugin with changes in how chromium handles cookies. I had to declare google related cookies an exception to not only the plugin but also chromium itself to make it work again.