[Stable Update] 2018-08-18 - Kernels, Xorg-Server, Mesa, Deepin, MATE, Perl, Python

update
stable

Nope, no issues using Nouveau with Xorg 1.20 and been using Nouveau for several months. Did the massive upgrade and reboot into a perfectly working 11 year old notebook.

Bad video image with Nouveau

Done here.

Hi,

Have updated my pc but have switched in english my os is in french and now is english.
How to switch in french ?

Cordialy

I never used DRI_PRIME so I’m confused by it. From one side we shouldn’t use it with steam on other we should? So what is the actual command to launch it?

DRI_PRIME=1 steam ? Or maybe DRI_PRIME=1 primusrun steam ? Or maybe DRI_PRIME=1 %steam% ?

I assume he actually meant the application launch options

This seems tedious. Also as I recall launching steam on intel caused big picture mode to be pixelated and unsharp, although there was some setting to fix it. I’d prefer to launch steam on bumblebee (I have primusrun steam in launcher so I don’t have to use terminal) and forget about it.

Also a small thing, when this rare event of steam collecting the stats happens, it shows Nvidia card instead Intel and Linux gets a point and somewhere in the stats table hardware is ascribed to the system. Why spoil the stats :wink: ?

Application launch options in steam are good in case of some individual game settings, but to enforce the same option for every game? I know that some recommend that, but somehow I don’t like it. Plus, it’s harder to see if it works. When launching steam on bumblebee I can check hardware and see Nvidia. When launching a game on Nvidia, I will find out about its performance, but not always.

Hi!
I celebrate!
An other update gone super!
Thanks team!
:rose: Melissa :rose:

I second that sound advise! Besides, I always do that, no matter what…
:+1: on this advide, @philm

Hi,

have view this :

/usr/bin/mksrcinfo: line 224: warning: setlocale: LC_TIME: cannot change locale (fr_FR.UTF-8): No such file or directory

Have idea to fix french ? and to fix error from bsdtar: Failed to set default locale ?

Cordialy

Fix with : sudo locale-gen

Sorry, with which card?

No problems on kde, thanks for all the effort Manjaro team and testing users puts into making these updates so smooth!

This was a huge update that brought many significant improvements to the programs i use so i am really happy :slight_smile:

And slightly worried with the direction the update process of linux distros is heading. Dropping down to TTY is slightly inconvenient, but at least we are not still at the point of some other distros like fedora that has started using windows-style on-boot stage for updates.

It is a recommendation to have it easier for you guys. Sometimes when you update the graphic stack you will have crazy issues in a graphical environment. We simply want to keep it simple.

Updated Manjaro Xfce to 2018-08-18 today, and switched to Kernel 4.18.3-1. @philm and all the team, thanks for the great work! I mean, that update came out on a Saturday morning at 7:30…

HOWEVER: At shutdown, I am now getting the messages

sd-umount[1996]: Failed to unmount /oldroot: Device or resource busy
sd-umount[1997]: Failed to unmount /oldroot/dev: Device or resource busy

Remark: These two lines are immediately preceded by a line I have been seeing all the time:

watchdog: watchdog0: watchdog did not stop!

I did not get these before, and upon going back to Kernel 4.17.17-1 these messages don’t show up.

I saw these messages flash by on screen only, journalctl -b -1 -n250 near the end just reports

Aug 20 11:38:23 mnjroxe systemd[1]: Reached target Shutdown.
Aug 20 11:38:23 mnjroxe systemd[1]: Reached target Final Step.
Aug 20 11:38:23 mnjroxe systemd[1]: Starting Reboot...
Aug 20 11:38:23 mnjroxe systemd[1]: Shutting down.
Aug 20 11:38:23 mnjroxe systemd[1]: Hardware watchdog 'iTCO_wdt', version 0
Aug 20 11:38:23 mnjroxe systemd[1]: Set hardware watchdog to 10min.
Aug 20 11:38:23 mnjroxe kernel: watchdog: watchdog0: watchdog did not stop!
Aug 20 11:38:23 mnjroxe kernel: systemd-shutdow: 34 output lines suppressed due to ratelimiting
Aug 20 11:38:23 mnjroxe systemd-shutdown[1]: Syncing filesystems and block devices.
Aug 20 11:38:23 mnjroxe systemd-shutdown[1]: Sending SIGTERM to remaining processes...
Aug 20 11:38:23 mnjroxe systemd-journald[242]: Journal stopped

I suspect they are amongst the 34 suppressed lines.

Some Google results from both Manjaro and Arch show that such error messages were seen a lot in March this year. People agreed to a temporary fix, inserting “shutdown” into mkinitcpio.conf, but agreed also it wasn’t necessary to do so, simply saying “should be gone with the next update”.

So, what’s the story behind /oldroot, and why do the error messages show up, and what to do now?

Addendum: I have an additional external data SSD hooked up via eSATA, but the /oldroot messages show up regardless of this SSD being present or absent.

[Stable Update] 2018-09-02 - Deepin, Pamac, Linux419, Firefox-Dev, Upower
[Stable Update] 2018-09-02 - Deepin, Pamac, Linux419, Firefox-Dev, Upower

That is a bug that should be fixed in the design of future versions. Surrendering to tty just ends up allowing developers to ignore such problems they have introduced. Before systemd and gnome3 it was never necessary. On this path we will inevitably end up with upstream-enforced early boot update stage.

At the very least the malfunctioning software should be mentioned when TTY upgrade is recommended, this raises awareness and allows people to at least be aware of what causes the issue.

I didn’t update yet (I might wait for another update, since ~20% users reported some problems), but I will use this recommendation so I have a question: once the upgrade is finished, do we just return to the graphical mode or should we immediately reboot from TTY?

That’s the same problem i now get, and also have read on arch forums about it, I’m just happy that is not only me with this problem.

Maybe i try going back to 4.17 kernel to see if it stops that error.

UPDATE: Yeah it only happens with Kernel 4.18, 4.17 has no sd-unmount error.

Harmless warning?

==> Image generation successful
( 3/25) Updating Grub-Bootmenu
Generating grub configuration file ...
Found background: /usr/share/grub/background.png
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-4.14-x86_64
Found initrd image: /boot/intel-ucode.img /boot/initramfs-4.14-x86_64.img
Found initrd fallback image: /boot/initramfs-4.14-x86_64-fallback.img
/dev/mapper/control: open failed: No such device
Failure to communicate with kernel device-mapper driver.
Check that device-mapper is available in the kernel.
Incompatible libdevmapper 1.02.150 (2018-08-01) and kernel driver (unknown version).
Command failed.
Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+/memtest.bin
done

When I ctrl + alt + f2 and ctrl + alt +f7, xorg runs incorrectly, but I do nothing indeed.

@mparillo I got the same/similar errors that resulted in a grub that removed my Window 7 disk. I don’t know the cause, but a temporary fix until the next kernel upgrade is to reboot and update-grub. (Italic parts are an edit to add clarity)

See: Incompatible libdevmapper on update-grub
in these forums for more information.