[Stable Update] 2017-12-16 - Kernels, Mesa, Deepin, Firefox, Python, Haskell

update
stable

Hi community,

Normally you calm down a little in December, however it is a little busy for us getting Manjaro v17.1 ready before ending this year. So with this update you get new install medias to try out. Also we worked on improving our graphical installer and started to ship the architect installer also with our medias.

For friends of Office we also used our own Jade-Application-Kit to provide MS Office Online as native linux apps (you need still internet to get it working).

So what else changed so far? We had updated some of our themes, pushed out some new deepin packages, had the usual haskell and python updates, most kernels got renewed, firefox got some security updates and mesa got updated to v17.3.

So please report back and give us feedback for given changes made to our repositories. Users of our 32-bit Distro should read this.

Distro Releases

Current supported Kernels

• linux316 3.16.51
  • linux318 3.18.87 [EOL]
  • linux41 4.1.47
  • linux44 4.4.105
  • linux49 4.9.68
  • linux412 4.12.14 [EOL]
  • linux413 4.13.16 [EOL]
  • linux414 4.14.5
  • linux415 4.15-rc3
  • linux-RT-LTS 4.9.65_rt56
  • linux-RT 4.11.12_rt16

Package Updates (Wed Dec 13 13:39:07 CET 2017)

• stable community x86_64: 1070 new and 1009 removed package(s)
  • stable core x86_64: 44 new and 40 removed package(s)
  • stable extra x86_64: 409 new and 407 removed package(s)
  • stable multilib x86_64: 13 new and 22 removed package(s)

A list of packages can be found here.

• No issues, everything went smoothly
  • Yes there was an issue. I was able to resolve it myself. (Please post your solution)
  • Yes I am currently experiencing an issue due to the update. (Please post about it)

0 voters

Check if your mirror has already synced:

[TLP] 2017-12-14 - Call for testing: new TLP defaults

Known issues and solutions

This is a wiki post, please edit as necessary

My wired network connection has stopped working (e1000e)

This appears to be a kernel regression: https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=198047

The driver has a “race condition” meaning sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. This is why reboots sometimes “fix” the issue and why there isn’t consistently a problem.

Until a patch gets included in the kernel there are a couple of workarounds:

1. try rebooting several times; this might make things usable “enough” in the meantime
  2. switch to a different kernel

To check if you’re using the e1000e driver:

$ inxi -N
Network:   Card-1: Intel 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection (Lewisville) driver: e1000e
           Card-2: Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 [Taylor Peak] driver: iwlwifi

Affected kernel series: linux318, linux44, linux49, linux414

Network connection is unreliable, not working, or not connecting

Occasionally, Network Manager updates change the underlying settings structure (schemas). This can change or break existing settings without you knowing about it.

This can be fixed by removing the existing connection settings, and then re-adding the connection. You may also need to reboot. If this does not work, move to the next point.

networkmanager 1.10.2-1 does not auto-connect to WLAN (KDE)

If you find that your WLAN does not auto connect even if the entry is ticked to do so, you can downgrade the Network Manager package. Before doing so, please check the point above.

If you haven’t cleared pacman’s cache it’s possible to downgrade to the working build:

sudo pacman -U /var/cache/pacman/pkg/networkmanager-1.10.0-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz

you’ll also need to temporarily ignore the package in /etc/pacman.conf

# Pacman won't upgrade packages listed in IgnorePkg and members of IgnoreGroup
IgnorePkg   = networkmanager
#IgnoreGroup =

don’t forget to reverse this ignore setting as and when a networkmanager fix is announced and released to stable.

vlc-nightly doesn’t work any more

“Nightly” versions aren’t massively reliable; try this version instead:

sudo pacman -U https://mirror.netzspielplatz.de/manjaro/packages/unstable/community/x86_64/vlc-nightly-3.0.0v20171216-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz

This has been pushed out, mirrors will have it shortly.

I’ve heard something about “tlp” and think it might have broken something

New version 1.0-1.4 reverts one setting that should help desktop systems. It should hit mirrors shortly, or get it early:

pacman -U wget https://mirror.netzspielplatz.de/manjaro/packages/stable/community/x86_64/tlp-1.0-1.4-any.pkg.tar.xz
# and for tlp-rdw:
pacman -U wget https://mirror.netzspielplatz.de/manjaro/packages/stable/community/x86_64/tlp-rdw-1.0-1.4-any.pkg.tar.xz

Go to the testing thread and review the changes:

Not able to printing

New cups-filters 1.17.9-5 seem not able to recognize all printer already installed. Temporary workaround downgrade cups-filters to solve the issue.

deepin issues: control center won’t close / right-click dock icons freezes system

Network Connection
[SOLVED] Network-manager can't find active network
Wi Fi issue - Manjaro KDE

Everything seems fine, but the xfce-pulseaudio-plugin won’t start in the panel anymore. I’ve witched to pa-applet.

Any hints?

The update for Xcursor-breeze does not work for me, there is a couple of conflicting files.

xcursor-breeze: /usr/share/icons/Breeze_Snow/cursors/… existiert bereits im Dateisystem

Translated:
xcursor-breeze: /usr/share/icons/Breeze_Snow/cursors/… already exists in the filesystem

Everything seems to be fine here on i3.
Got a new version of /etc/drirc as pacnew.

Please remove breeze-snow-cursor-theme as the package xcursor-breeze and breeze support it now. If you have also KDE installed and therefore breeze you might remove xcursor-breeze via:

sudo pacman -Rdd xcursor-breeze

How can I uninstall / replace it? If I try to uninstall xcursor-breeze in Pamac, then several other packages will be uninstalled:

manjaro-xfce-settings
qt5ct
qt5-styleplugins
manjaro-base-skal
vertex-maia-themes
gtk-engine-murrine

Edit: about which breeze package are we talking exactly, what is the full name?

This is strange…how you have installed the snow version?

I do not think so. The install is mostly a plain install of Manajaro XFCE 17.06. Less than two weeks old.

I don’t know if its related but breeze-snow-cursor-theme got removed with this update.

Remplacer breeze-snow-cursor-theme par community/xcursor-breeze ? [O/n]

Strange… you have snow-breeze-cursor-theme? I have modifed rhe xcursor-breeze to correct the issue in testing…

Yes xcursor-breeze now contain the snow version

Another smooth update, and quite large as well. Approx. 700 to 750 Mb.
But, was pleased to see versioning got to rc1. :sunglasses:

I had a transaction error due to changes with gcc packaging. resolved by running the transaction in terminal:

replace gcc-libs-multilib with /core/gcc-libs? [Y/n] Y
replace gcc-multilib with /core/gcc? [Y/n] Y

After that no problems noted on either system (apart from having to manually select the WLAN connection on my notebook to connect to it now but not a big deal)

The package breeze-snow-cursor-theme was not installed on my system, but breeze seems to contain that files:

pacman -Qo /usr/share/icons/Breeze_Snow/cursors/
/usr/share/icons/Breeze_Snow/cursors/ ist in breeze 5.11.4-1 enthalten

I can also not uninstall breeze because tons of packages depend on it. Any other idea?

I have no Ethernet.

Intel I 219-v does not Work after this Update.
Kernel 4.14.5

Ifconfig, command not found

On Kernel 4.13.16 -2 it works

Update went fine, only the Theme changed to Adwaita. :wink:

The hard and easy way: rm -rf (erase) that cursor folder and update :face_with_monocle:

Update not working for my nextcloud server:

40# sudo pacman -Syyu
[sudo] password for matthias: 
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core                     140.2 KiB   247K/s 00:01 [#########################] 100%
 extra                   1775.4 KiB   145K/s 00:12 [#########################] 100%
 community                  4.4 MiB   124K/s 00:36 [#########################] 100%
 multilib                 174.7 KiB   104K/s 00:02 [#########################] 100%
:: Starting full system upgrade...
:: Replace gcc-libs-multilib with core/gcc-libs? [Y/n] 
:: Replace gcc-multilib with core/gcc? [Y/n] 
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: nextcloud: requires php<7.2
:: nextcloud: requires php-gd<7.2

Nope that do not work. This was my first try.