[Stable Update] 2017-10-26 - Gnome, KDE, Deepin, LibreOffice, Firefox, Wine, Virtualbox

Hi community,

this is one of our bigger update-sets we released to our stable branch yet. Most of our desktop environments got updated. Therefore lets start with them.

Introducing Gnome 3.26 to Manjaro: the final touch for this release was done in Manchester. That is why this version was named after this city from England.

Highlights from this release include:

• a new look for the Settings application, which has a new navigation sidebar and improved network and display settings, and browser synchronization thanks to the Firefox Sync service.
  • Color emoji are now supported throughout GNOME and will be visible wherever they appear.
  • GNOME 3.26 also includes ways to insert emoji into chats, messages and documents.
  • Other improvements include enhanced system search and folder sharing in Boxes.

See the full changelog for more details and all the goodies this new release brings.

For KDE fans we have the latest Plasma, Apps and Framework.

Plasma itself comes with following new features:

• The revamped System Settings user interface allows easier access to commonly used settings
  • Due to popular demand notifications optionally stores missed and expired notifications in a history
  • Plasma’s Task Manager lays the foundation for enabling applications to provide dynamic jump list actions
  • For users who often deal with sensitive, confidential and private information, the new Plasma Vault offers strong encryption features presented in a user-friendly way
  • Search results in launchers have gained features previously only available to applications listed on the menu

You can also check the full changelog on what else had changed.

Troubleshoot

Some reported not been able to start SDDM v0.16. Therefore I’ve created a new package called sddm-classic. You may install that one as an alternative to fix your issue. Else you may add your graphic driver module to the initramfs via adding it to MODULES in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf followed by a rebuild of the kernel images.

If you like a more lighter QT-based desktop environment you may look at LxQT. Highlights are:

• New Open/Save File dialog -> Qt apps use the newly designed file dialog with all the features as provided by pcmanfm-qt
  • Support for icon themes with the FollowsColorScheme (KDE extension to XDG icon themes standard)
  • Better support for HDPI displays (using the Qt’s Qt::AA_UseHighDpiPixmaps)
  • Code optimization - using const variables and iterators wherever possible to speed up LXQt and make it more robust in general
  • A new lxqt-themes component
  • Improved ending session for shutdown/reboot -> shutdown all LXQt components first and then let the job for init (systemd)

On our graphical packagemanagement we have now two versions of Pamac to offer: the store version and a classic one.

Guillaume worked again on Pamac. With v6.2 series we adjusted our UI design to the recommendations of our great community. Please feel free to comment on the new look. People who don’t like our new approach to get Pamac to a full fledged App-Store may want to checkout pamac-classic (pamac5), a fork of pamac, which keeps the classic view and get needed backports from our main project.

So what else does this huge update of Manjaro stable branch bring?

• Firefox got updated to v56 series which gives users a better experience with features like Firefox Screenshots, Send Tabs, and more control over the browser with an improved (and searchable) preferences section.
  • Usual upstream updates got added as well, which also includes the latest LibreOffice.
  • Virtualbox offers now to share your VMs in the cloud
  • Additionally we have worked on Calamares.
  • To round things up we also have updated all kernels to their latest released versions

Please report back and give us feedback for given changes made to our repositories.

Best, Philip

Current supported Kernels

• linux316 3.16.49
  • linux318 3.18.77 [EOL]
  • linux41 4.1.45
  • linux44 4.4.94
  • linux49 4.9.58
  • linux412 4.12.14 [EOL]
  • linux413 4.13.9
  • linux414 4.14-rc6 (x86_64)
  • linux-RT-LTS 4.9.47_rt37 (x86_64)
  • linux-RT 4.11.12_rt16 (x86_64)

Package Updates (Thu Oct 26 09:18:03 CEST 2017)

• stable community i686: 977 new and 922 removed package(s)
  • stable community x86_64: 1020 new and 963 removed package(s)
  • stable core i686: 36 new and 37 removed package(s)
  • stable core x86_64: 38 new and 39 removed package(s)
  • stable extra i686: 1189 new and 1212 removed package(s)
  • stable extra x86_64: 1205 new and 1225 removed package(s)
  • stable multilib x86_64: 25 new and 32 removed package(s)

A detailed package list can be found here.

• No issues, everything went smoothly
  • Yes there was an issue. I was able to resolve it myself. (Please post your solution)
  • Yes I am currently experiencing an issue due to the update. (Please post about it)

0 voters

Check if your mirror has already synced:

23 Likes

wait, what?

2 Likes

Everything seemed to have updated fine on KDE , but after doing a reboot it got stuck on the following message
cgroup:cgroup2:unknown option "nsdelegate"
So after hitting alt+f2 i did a sudo update-grub, rebooted and the system would start fine ,except for the fact that i still saw the above message flashing by. My question is will this cause any problems later on, or am i just ok , and can i ignore the error message ?

Everything seems OK.
I did it with Pamac.
Octopi is loose and high in downtown Helsinki https://i.imgur.com/i1F98Px.png .

This update is very big, as always users should backup their systems first, just in case.

LOL, might be easier to list the packages that are not being updated.

Related to the video.

2 Likes

Absolutely Massive update, not a single issue, it was as smooth as one could imagine.
well done guys!

2 Likes

Just a problem with smplayer

Why for heaven’s sake does Pamac say that my system is up to date (it is not)?
I have refreshed the base, the files, the keyring, I have danced, touched my machine with passion and finally cried.

1 Like

Have you tried sudo pacman-mirrors -f 5

1 Like

Your mirror is probably not synced yet. :slight_smile:
Use @kb41’s command to get an up to date mirror.

1 Like

Hi guys. I have one problem in the update, as follow:

error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
ncurses: /usr/lib/libtinfo.so exists in filesystem
ncurses: /usr/lib/libtinfo.so.6 exists in filesystem
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

Could I remove this files without any problem in the system?
Thanks.

1 Like

Does Chromium update include in this update ? Thanks.

There is a link at the top… Mirror-Check Service… it is there for a reason.

Before updating check the mirror your system is using is up to date. All these packages need to replicate to individual mirrors, some mirrors sync every 5 minutes, some once a day.

If you are not sure what mirror you are using look at the first entry in

/etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist

If you would like to change to a mirror already synced then use pacman-mirrors with the -f flag, which will only include fully up to date mirrors.

There is a link at the top which lists all packages updated, click on it and take a look.

You can also use:
inxi -r
To get mirror used and what custom repo’s have been enabled.

3 Likes

Take a look:

It was a big update, but it went smooth as silk on KDE edition. Thanks Manjaro team :slight_smile:

$ pkgfile -s libtinfo.so.6
core/ncurses

Do you have libtinfo installed from AUR? If so remove it.

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/libtinfo/

looks like ncurses is updated in core.
had to uninstall libtinfo

Else you could force install ncurses only, then do your update

sudo pacman -S ncurses --force

Never fully update your system with force option, best way to brick it.

1 Like

Thanks, I am such an i…:slight_smile:

Thanks sueridgepipe and kouros17 for the answers. I removed the package in conflict and everything flows right in the installation after that. Thanks :wink:

1 Like

Forum kindly sponsored by