[Stable Update] 2017-08-10 - Kernels, LibreOffice, Systemd, VirtualBox

smooth update except for the hang on xfce reboot all is well thanks again

I disagree. Iโ€™ve never had a problem using pamac that command line pacman fixed. How could it?

This almost always comes down to the mirrors selected.

I had a smooth update on two KDE laptops and one LXQt netbooks, but my after an apparently equally smooth upgrade, my KDE VM in VirtualBox sometimes seems to hang on leaving SDDM. There is a timer that seems to keep increasing its threshold.

[Testing Update] 2017-08-15 - Kernels, Deepin, Firefox, Xorg-Server, Haskell, Python

Plasma shell crashed after update. So far itโ€™s ok after a reboot. I will update if it becomes unstable.

Bug 1 Odd stuff going on here.

Bug 2 (although this has been a problem pre updateโ€ฆ it seems worse now) The connections system settings module does not save my wifi passwords. Switching between wifi and/or wired networks is very buggy often causing log out / log on to fix. The update forgot my wifi passwords and now it has difficulty remembering them. Almost as bad as my memory. lol. I assume this has something to do with KDE wallet. I am only posting what has happened as (I think) a result of the update. If I find time to troubleshoot I will post back a solution.

My system is:
โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ OS: Manjaro 17.0.2 Gellivara
โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ Kernel: x86_64 Linux 4.9.40-1-MANJARO
โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ Uptime: 2m
โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ Packages: 1262
โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ Shell: bash 4.4.12
โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ Resolution: 1366x768
โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ DE: KDE 5.36.0 / Plasma 5.10.4
โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ WM: KWin
โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ WM Theme: Breeze Dark
โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ GTK Theme: Breath [GTK2/3]
โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ Icon Theme: maia
โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ Font: Noto Sans Regular
โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ CPU: Intel Core i5-5300U @ 4x 2.9GHz [38.0ยฐC]
GPU: Mesa DRI Intelยฎ HD Graphics 5500 (Broadwell GT2)
RAM: 872MiB / 15927MiB

Sorry the Manjaro logo didnโ€™t come out how Iโ€™d hope.

I donโ€™t wish to seem negative, I love the distro. I would mention that I have not had any issues with virtualbox on this machine. I have not yet tested it on my main machine. (This is my laptop).
Keep up the good work, I will continue to contribute to the community to the best of my ability. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I had constant wifi problems. Switched kernel from 4.9 to 4.12 like suggested and it seems fixed now
PS: not sure if and how this is related to the update, at least I noticed it afterwards

no issues on KDE using โ€œsudo pacman -Syyuโ€ :slight_smile:
Thanks Team - and i canโ€™t wait to know more about the secret project ^^

I have downloadet it as bz.2 file and test it from my homefolderโ€ฆvery nice, very fast.

Update on 12 Machines without Problems.

I had a problem with bluetooth. I tried to remove /var/log/bluetooth, but the issue persists. Someone know how to solve this issue?

Also waiting for Firefox 55.

Itโ€™s curious. The overall Manjaro update went smoothly. No issues. But as for Virtualbox, I never found audio issues before. But with this new version itโ€™s buggier than ever. In a single day I had audio issues and even a complete freeze in Virtualbox. I know Manjaro team is not responsible for VBox, but I wonder if itโ€™s going to become an unusable software in the near future due to accumulated bugs. :thinking::thinking::thinking:

Oh, come on!!!
If that was common there would be a lot more screaming in these forums.

Thatโ€™s not my experience at all. Its stable as ever here.

You have to Open Virtualbox Manager and check for updates, because some things come direct from Virtualbox.

Curiously last week the QT GUI for VBox warned me about an update. But I didnโ€™t accept it and waited to install Manjaroโ€™s packaged update. But after all Iโ€™m using the most recent version 5.1.26, available at oracleโ€™s site.
If I use software installed from manjaro repos wouldnโ€™t it cause problems if I install updates directly from the developers of that piece of software?

Hope you have seen this:

If you notice the Manjaro update will include VirtualBox, you should shutdown (or savestate) your guests.

After installing Updates from Manjaro repositories your VirtualBox will be up to date.
After that update, You should usually reboot so that the Virtualbox driver modules that are in memory get replaced, or any kernel updated are applied.

Then open Virtualbox Manager and check for updates. It wonโ€™t find any updates to Virtualbox, because that will be up to date already.

But that check will also force a check for updated Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack. The Extension Pack provides drivers for USB and a few other things. They are not absolutely essential, but some USB features donโ€™t work without them. Check the manual link above for details.

Extensions are NOT included in Manjaro Packages for license reasons. You can get them from AUR, but the AUR version donโ€™t always update in sync with the versions of VirtualBox.

Thatโ€™s why I always fetch them directly from inside VirtualBox Manager via a check-for-update, it always fetches the correct versions.

You can check which versions of the extensions are installed via File / Preferences / Extensions in the Vbox Manager.

That thread has been closed so I cannot post questions there.
But will regular editions of manjaro keep using systemd or updating those that use systemd?
Am I right or what willbe the future of manjaro?
Will everyone have to migrate to another distro or make a fresh install?

@ fernando_a_martin As it stands the main Manjaro will all be SystemD. If you wish to continue with openrc you must get into Artix. There is more information at this URL: http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20170807#news

I hadnโ€™t understood it before. Now Iโ€™m glad that it will keep systemd. My installation is a regular edition of manjaro that uses systemd. Thanks.

Rating this statement Almost True.

(In case DW blocks the link, itโ€™s just a DistroWatch search page search for only OpenRC distros, and it returns seven hits, not including Artix).

Because Artix is still on waitiing list -_-