[Stable Update] 2017-05-12 - Kernels, KDE, KDE Apps, Gnome, Browsers

update
stable

Like @Termy I could not boot after the update. I think this had nothing to do with the update itself, I got an error during the updates thanks to a corrupted local package database (entirely my own fault…) and afterwards kernels 4.10 and 4.9 did not boot anymore.

Luckily I still hat 4.8 installed an could boot that one. update-grub did nothing, but reinstalling the kernels did the trick and now everything runs smoothly as usual with Manjaro!

Thanks!

Today I upgraded Manjaro KDE to version 17.0.2 on two notebooks. The upgrade failed because of r. I had to do a

sudo pacman -S r --force

and then upgrade. Except for that all went well. I am now running kernel 4.11.

sudo pacman -R xorg-utils xorg-server-utils

because the GUI removes also the dependencies but you do not want that for these meta packages

does 4.11 boot for you?

For me yes, on two different notebooks that run Manjaro KDE.

Haven’t tried 4.11 so far. Currently need the machine for something more or less productive, so I’ll probably not start any further experiments today, sorry!

What should I do after removing xorg-utils and xorg-server-utils with sudo pacman -R? Should I proceed to installing xorg-apps?

$ sudo pacman -S xorg-apps
:: There are 37 members in group xorg-apps:
:: Repository extra
   1) xorg-bdftopcf  2) xorg-iceauth  3) xorg-luit  4) xorg-mkfontdir  5) xorg-mkfontscale  6) xorg-sessreg  7) xorg-setxkbmap  8) xorg-smproxy  9) xorg-x11perf  10) xorg-xauth
   11) xorg-xbacklight  12) xorg-xcmsdb  13) xorg-xcursorgen  14) xorg-xdpyinfo  15) xorg-xdriinfo  16) xorg-xev  17) xorg-xgamma  18) xorg-xhost  19) xorg-xinput  20) xorg-xkbcomp
   21) xorg-xkbevd  22) xorg-xkbutils  23) xorg-xkill  24) xorg-xlsatoms  25) xorg-xlsclients  26) xorg-xmodmap  27) xorg-xpr  28) xorg-xprop  29) xorg-xrandr  30) xorg-xrdb
   31) xorg-xrefresh  32) xorg-xset  33) xorg-xsetroot  34) xorg-xvinfo  35) xorg-xwd  36) xorg-xwininfo  37) xorg-xwud

Should I install all of them?

No need. The needed packages are already installed on your system.

hum, so it’s something on my side - anyone got any ideas how to pin it down if i can’t even look at the logs? :confused:

Perfect ! All went fine with gnome.
Yesterday = Big windows update -> 45 min
Today = Big manjaro update -> 5 min :smiley:

Use a tty (ctrl alt F3) or terminal.
Just do not use pamac.
type: sudo pacman -Syu

:slight_smile:

tanks

I chrooted into my install and reinstalled kernels 410 and 411 (he wouldn’t let me reinstall 49 because it’s running - is that normal?)
I also did a pacman -Syyu to be sure.

Still, all kernels just freeze at the harddrive check. Does anyone have any idea what to do next?

Best,
Leonard

I have encountered this issue.

# pacman -Su
:: Starting full system upgrade...
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: gstreamer0.10-good-plugins: installing libsoup (2.58.1-1) breaks dependency 'libsoup-gnome'

Does it make a difference when you install openssl-1.0-compat? My desktop pc had the same issue when it froze before sddm checking the blocks of the hdd.

Update went fine with KDE + XFS + 4.10 Kernel.

System feels more smooth & responsive after this update.

Edit: Kernel 4.11 works fine.

Fixed package is on the way. 7.6.0-3 will no longer depend on xorg-server-utils

Uninstall gstreamer0.10-good-plugins and retry.
It is reported already in this post.

just to be sure: you didn’t install the kernels via the graphical manager, did you?
Because the chroot is only active inside the terminal, so you’ve got to “sudo pacman -S linux410”

I did sudo mhwd-kernel -i linux410

Edit: The last thing working when booting is “Starting Hostname Service” …if that helps.