[Stable Update] 2017-05-12 - Kernels, KDE, KDE Apps, Gnome, Browsers

update
stable

After running pacman -Syyu I had problems with gstreamer, but I uninstalled it as recomended. Then, I couldn’t log in because NetworkManager had some issues. However, it was zenity the package that was broken. I deleted the cached package and I reinstalled it. I could log in finally.

Now, almost everything works as intended, BUT some programs (e.g. Evolution and gnome-control-center) don’t work. They show Bus error (core dumped) when I run them on the terminal.

Anyway to fix it?

Thanks!

Just found an issue with my LXQt.
Definitely it’s xdg-open thing appeared after update.

So my Trojita email client stopped opening attached files (like *.pdf, *.jpg etc.) directly. It’s output is:

/usr/bin/xdg-open: line 922: pcmanfm: command not found

Even so, looks like mime type is configured. And I can open those file types over pcmanfm. And

xdg-mime query filetype some.pdf

returns:

application/pdf

So, in other words I’m still able to open such files via pcmanfm directly according to its file expression (as before). But Trojita has just stopped doing so.

Did you fix your problem? If not, you should open new topic and someone may be able to help you. In a new topic post all the errors you get and any info that could be helpful to figure it out what may be the problem.

You should also try to choose and run different kernel at grub screen and see if this help.

Can you log into TTY? If so can you update system from there?
If not, did you try to chroot into your system from live media an try to update you system that way?

In case you don’t know how to chroot, you can try to follow these steps:

Everything is fine here
Dell inpiron 1545
Intel Graphics
Core2Duo T6500
Kernel 4.10.15

Following update last month caused update issues since symlinks for mesa package were removed before applying update and if update fails for any unforeseen reason then user wud end up with broken system hence downloading all packages first and then applying update will ensure deleted symlinks are restored with complete update and lesser chance of broken system.

Applying manjaro update from TTY

You did the smart thing - waiting a little bit and reading the forum first, congrats, too many beginners rush with the updates. :slight_smile:

But you do have to update. Waiting this one out means, next update will pile more updates on top of this one and longer you wait, better chances you get that there something may go wrong. It is the nature of rolling distro.

Make a backup. If you have spare HDD, use clonezilla and just save whole disk before the update: (that way you can revert and return your system back to before the update if anything goes wrong, and you are not able to fix it)

And since you read this forum, you know you need to run update from the console. (good general practice anyway)

Included ur suggestion as step 6. Thanks this wud help user update mirrorlist and install packages even if first mirror in the existing old mirrorlist is not yet synced up with new packages.

Finally I updated and don’t see any problems. Even xfce4-mixer works after removing gstreamer good plugins. Thanx Manjaro team for your work!

some users lost IP connection on upgrade

the new version NetworkManager (V1.8) is not working for all ,
any clue on this matter ?

LXQt users!
can you check your output of

xdg-open $HOME

?
Perhaps you’ll get “command not found”

I can confirm this observation: I also had a similar problem (Manjaro KDE) after installing the last “stable” update today. The system hang during startup (due to a problem with sddm) for all my installed kernels.Installing openssl-1.0-compat as you suggested fixed the problem. Thanks for the info.

Hello thanks philm, my disc was full! Emptied pacman cache and was able to update with a few GB to spare. However, now I am stuck at the Manjaro screen with the 5 point loading indicators. I shut down several times and cannot get past this screen. Any ideas? thanks

Nope! The process is the same. Downloading all the packages and then installing them is no different than download them and install at once. It all depends on the packages themselves, and you can end up with a broken system anyway.

$ xdg-open $HOME
/usr/bin/xdg-open: line 922: pcmanfm: command not found

The only way I figured out to fix it is to edit that 922-nd line of /usr/bin/xdg-open
and change pcmanfm to pcmanfm-qt so far

Still wonder why that happened, or is there any better universal fix? Since I hadn’t faced it before the update

#lxqt

I can recall manjaro-system package first deleting the symlinks and then package update list being repopulated which installed required symlinks so that x windows system / gui wud function correctly. How shud i manage such a situation. As @philm mentioned on the thread that deleting symlinks first is necessary before installing updated package wherein new symlinks were created.

Have you also noticed if your LXQt shutdown sometimes is almost immediate and sometimes takes a long time? A message shows about waiting for something or other. I will update when I can do a better job of describing this.

No I have not. Seems like I have stable shut down speed.

But I do get a warning message each time I issue “stand by” command. Something about screensaver. No big deal.
#LXQt

Hi, everything works fine, but except one problem. Sometimes Gnome automatically logging out without clicking the button. Please tell me why this is happenned?

The process is the same. The problem only happens if you do a partial update. I remember that update, as I wanted to install a package without updating the system, but ended up doing a full update because I noticed the symlinks were deleted. When you apply the update after downloading the packages, symlinks will still be deleted before the mesa update.

Quote from https://forum.manjaro.org/t/why-do-manjaro-stable-updates-break-the-system-is-it-bad-testing/21095/165?u=mbb: