[Stable Update] 2017-05-12 - Kernels, KDE, KDE Apps, Gnome, Browsers

update
stable

I have already done my updates through a tty, with no issues. However I am curious why not use pamac for this?
And for my updates, I only did “sudo pacman -Syu” however I am seeing lots of users doing “-Syyu”… would that have made a difference?

https://www.archlinux.org/pacman/pacman.8.html

-y, --refresh
Download a fresh copy of the master package database from the server(s) defined in pacman.conf(5). This should typically be used each time you use --sysupgrade or -u. Passing two --refresh or -y flags will force a refresh of all package databases, even if they appear to be up-to-date.

Hi, had the same problem of gtreamer posted above, uninstalled it, but during the updating process the terminal just froze, no cursor or system response, I updated from the terminal, not the tty. Had to restart, and after grub the the pc stays in a command list of ok’s I enter on the tty and when I try to run the update the following error appears:

pacman error while loading shared libraries: libcuc.so.58: cannot open shared object file:No such file or directory

I’ve found some posts about installing libcuc.so.58, however it seems I dont internet acces on the tty.

Thanks for the help
Carlos

Thank you kindly for the info. :smiley: I really appreciate it and I am learning a ton of new stuff. :slight_smile:

If you are ever curious, it’s always nice to read or skim through documentations of different command-line programs, such as, dd, pacman, sudo, kdesu, etc. Helps to know some of the possible commands.

I instantaneously installed Kernel 4.10 with the Architect Installer when I got my Ryzen 1700x and ASRock x370 Taichi board and haven’t had any issues. It all worked out of the box. I am using Kernel 4.11 now and haven’t had issues as of yet.

Force installed Chromium, then the rest of the update ran through completely smoothly!

To connect to a network from a tty you can use nmtui (included in networkmanager package, so you should have it installed). Just launch

nmtui

Everything appears to have gone quite smoothly for this update.
As was pointed out, it IS definitely QUITE large.
For my install, it involved 433 pkgs and approx. 1.25 Gb.
Will continue checking later and see if it actually did everything with no errors though. One can never be TOO safe. :smile:

It prompst me that the network manager isn’t working

Update on Packard Bell Easynote LM98 works fine, next machines tomorror.
Good night. Thx for the good work every time.

Its not at all clear from the cough man page or the -h what --fasttrack does.
Does it assure ALL branches are up to date on any given mirror?
Does it also order them by apparent speed (bandiwidth)?

Actually, If I’m not mistaken, this capability only just now reached stable branch.

Tried to remove the gstreamer0.10-good-plugins package, but ran into this problem:

[dmn@Zotac ~]$ sudo pacman -R gstreamer0.10-good-plugins
checking dependencies...
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: farstream-0.1: removing gstreamer0.10-good-plugins breaks dependency 'gstreamer0.10-good-plugins'

farstream-0.1 is not mentioned in any post in this thread, so I checked in package browser, which informed it is an orphan. That classification tells me it was safe to remove. Removed it, then gstreamer0.10-good-plugins, then the upgrade all completed successfully.

Posted in case anyone else ran into this.

voted for no issues everything went smoothly.

screenfetch
 ██████████████████  ████████     hugh@manjaro
 ██████████████████  ████████     OS: Manjaro 17.0.1 Gellivara
 ██████████████████  ████████     Kernel: x86_64 Linux 4.11.0-1-MANJARO
 ██████████████████  ████████     Uptime: 8m
 ████████            ████████     Packages: 1303
 ████████  ████████  ████████     Shell: bash 4.4.12
 ████████  ████████  ████████     Resolution: 1920x1080
 ████████  ████████  ████████     DE: KDE 5.33.0 / Plasma 5.9.5
 ████████  ████████  ████████     WM: KWin
 ████████  ████████  ████████     WM Theme: Maia
 ████████  ████████  ████████     GTK Theme: Breath [GTK2/3]
 ████████  ████████  ████████     Icon Theme: maia
 ████████  ████████  ████████     Font: Noto Sans Regular
 ████████  ████████  ████████     CPU: Pentium Dual-Core E5500 @ 2x 2.803GHz
                                  GPU: GeForce 310
                                  RAM: 1270MiB / 3955MiB

Thank you very much

i noticed the same thing. i got the “nag” to stop in the add/remove software app. in the preferences, there is a section where you can ignore an upgrade. click on the “+” and search for “libsoup”…the update nag will go away. :slight_smile:

i didn’t remove gstreamer-good. i disallowed the upgrade of libsoup and upgrade went smooth. gstreamer-good is a dependency of radio-tray, which i use.

New user here -new to Manjaro, anyway. Ran the update with absolutely no problems, was pleasantly surprised at how quickly it finished. I did stay with the LTS kernel though. Many thanks to the team.

BTW, I switched in since I was looking for a new Xfce4 system to replace Mint Debian. This is the slickest version I’ve ever tried. Even the battery life of my old HP laptop improved by almost 40 minutes!

I have a problem with TeXLive.

(10/19) Updating TeXLive filename database...
warning: kpathsea: configuration file texmf.cnf not found in these directories: /usr/bin:/usr/bin/share/texmf-local/web2c:/usr/bin/share/texmf-dist/web2c:/usr/bin/share/texmf/web2c:/usr/bin/texmf-local/web2c:/usr/bin/texmf-dist/web2c:/usr/bin/texmf/web2c:/usr:/usr/share/texmf-local/web2c:/usr/share/texmf-dist/web2c:/usr/share/texmf/web2c:/usr/texmf-local/web2c:/usr/texmf-dist/web2c:/usr/texmf/web2c://texmf-local/web2c:/://share/texmf-local/web2c://share/texmf-dist/web2c://share/texmf/web2c://texmf-local/web2c://texmf-dist/web2c://texmf/web2c.
/usr/share/libalpm/scripts/mktexlsr: line 4: cd: /etc/texmf: No such file or directory
grep: /var/lib/texmf/luatex-cache/context/*/trees/*.lua: No such file or directory
(11/19) Updating udev hardware database...
(12/19) Creating temporary files...
(13/19) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...
(14/19) Updating the info directory file...
(15/19) Updating TeXLive font maps...
cp: cannot stat 'usr/share/texmf-dist/web2c/updmap-hdr.cfg': No such file or directory
/usr/share/libalpm/scripts/texlive-updmap: line 7: etc/texmf/web2c/updmap.cfg: No such file or directory
/usr/share/libalpm/scripts/texlive-updmap: line 12: /usr/bin/updmap-sys: No such file or directory
error: command failed to execute correctly

I have removed/reinstalled same result.

(1/4) Updating TeXLive filename database...
warning: kpathsea: configuration file texmf.cnf not found in these directories: /usr/bin:/usr/bin/share/texmf-local/web2c:/usr/bin/share/texmf-dist/web2c:/usr/bin/share/texmf/web2c:/usr/bin/texmf-local/web2c:/usr/bin/texmf-dist/web2c:/usr/bin/texmf/web2c:/usr:/usr/share/texmf-local/web2c:/usr/share/texmf-dist/web2c:/usr/share/texmf/web2c:/usr/texmf-local/web2c:/usr/texmf-dist/web2c:/usr/texmf/web2c://texmf-local/web2c:/://share/texmf-local/web2c://share/texmf-dist/web2c://share/texmf/web2c://texmf-local/web2c://texmf-dist/web2c://texmf/web2c.
/usr/share/libalpm/scripts/mktexlsr: line 4: cd: /etc/texmf: No such file or directory
grep: /var/lib/texmf/luatex-cache/context/*/trees/*.lua: No such file or directory
(2/4) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...
(3/4) Updating the info directory file...
(4/4) Updating TeXLive font maps...
cp: cannot stat 'usr/share/texmf-dist/web2c/updmap-hdr.cfg': No such file or directory
/usr/share/libalpm/scripts/texlive-updmap: line 7: etc/texmf/web2c/updmap.cfg: No such file or directory
/usr/share/libalpm/scripts/texlive-updmap: line 12: /usr/bin/updmap-sys: No such file or directory
error: command failed to execute correctly

Installed optional depends.

Should texlive-core be installed? it is not… :confused:
Could someone please give me some advice? The error: command failed to execute correctly sort of concerns me.

Thanks in advance.

Strange experience got the tray notification when stable update was announced on the 12th.
Decide to wait till today the 13th. It was showing 325 updates available which was the same on the 12th.

So updated. Finished fine on reboot panels,desktop all a kilter. Really messed up different each time booting up. Dual display panels reduce to a square on lower right of my right monitor. Unusable state.

Luckily had backed up my partitions before the upgrade. And restored back before the update.
Even tho the updater has been sitting there for a day. I decide to Sync database first.
Then it showed 368 packages for update. When all along was sitting there at 325 packages for 18hrs or so.

So then updated and everything went fine and rebooted to normal desktop.

But my question remains. Why is the updater lagging? Why initially it showed 325 packages for Fri. & Sat.
And then doing a sync then show a different number? Isn’t this inherently problematic?
Shouldn’t the updater reflect what is actually needed to upgrade so as not to run into these kind of issues.

As originally seems like since I didn’t upgrade right away? Or the updater popped into tray before an accurate sync with all packages needed?

Just confused how to proceed in the future if I can’t count on the updater being accurate?

Always check if your mirror had synced with our service

Updated through pamac and updated to 4.11. All is working great. This is the most stable Linux OS I’ve used on my Dell XPS 9550. No more distro hopping for me. Everything just works and the performance is great. Thanks for your work.