[Stable Update] 2017-04-25 - Firefox, KDE Apps, Haskell, Virtualbox

update
stable

Noob here, one thing I do when reading the stable update threads, if someone mentions a problem with something I open the Package Manager and type the offending item in the search. If there is a green square next to the item in the search results, I then know I have it installed and read more to find out what problems are happening, how to proceed.

Curious about your question, I put “bibletime” in the search, the box next to it was clear meaning it is not installed.

Ah, and I had misunderstood your question :smiley:
:sunglasses:

Ok, I need your assistance on KDE.

1] Upon reboot I have Ctrl - virtual keyboard I never saw before and never asked for.

How to disable it?

2] Even worse - no sound in my headphones, it used to enough to log out and log in to get the sound back. I have read three threads on this forum…

3] And the worst one - kde5 wallet has requested password

Man, I need to retype the password for my router.

How was it enabled and how am I supposed to get rid of it?

PLease, help me out.

Remove the password from the wallet. Start the kwalletmanager and then click on »change password«.

Or, if just setting up wallet, just give it a blank password.

Any passwords are stored in the wallet will still be encrypted with your login id, so nothing will be stored in clear text.

Read the popup carefully. The first time you set up a wallet it is asking for the password that you want to use to encrypt the wallet.

On subsequent openings of the wallet its asking for that password to open the wallet.

Its that first time where you can just give it a blank password and never be plagued by password requests again.

Change password is inactive

Perhaps upon noticing the popup I hit enter or cancel trying to get rid of it…

How did I get into this predicament?

The headphones are working again - a miracle!

I suspect your description explains exactly how you got into this predicament.
Either that, or you typed something in the password sometime in the past and you simply don’t remember it.

You can nuke your wallet. Any passwords stored in there will be lost, but since you can’t get at them anyway, I don’t see the problem.

Just delete rename the directory ~/.local/share/kwalletd
and also ~/.config/kwalletrc

Then start KWallwtManager, and pay attention this time. :smiling_imp:

Let me clarify…still a noob, I should delete the folder containing .kwl and .salt?

kwalletrc gets opened in Kate

If you’v chosen the path of re-setting up kwallet, then:

Yes, nuke the entire directory and all of its contents (both files) and also the separate ~/.config/kwalletrc file which is just a text file.

Some people rush to recommend uninstalling kwallet permanently, but this is NOT wise in a KDE installation.

The headphones are still working fine.

Thanks to the impeccable guidelines of jsamyth, the wallet issue is no longer present, such a relief!!

The last of my issues. I cannot see it in the list of starting programs upon reboot.
I haven’t been able to find any info on the web, either.

Running this from budgie-desktop installed on top of XFCE.

Generally this update and the one few days ago have been fine. Howver it looks like Variety won’t run (until updated) due to other packages having been updated:

Running variety from terminal gives this message:

/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/variety/init.py:108: PyGIWarning: Gtk was imported without specifying a version first. Use gi.require_version(‘Gtk’, ‘3.0’) before import to ensure that the right version gets loaded.
from gi.repository import Gtk, Gdk, GObject # pylint: disable=E0611
/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/variety/VarietyWindow.py:27: PyGIWarning: Notify was imported without specifying a version first. Use gi.require_version(‘Notify’, ‘0.7’) before import to ensure that the right version gets loaded.
from gi.repository import Gtk, Gdk, GdkPixbuf, GObject, Gio, Notify # pylint: disable=E0611
/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/variety/QuoteWriter.py:19: PyGIWarning: PangoCairo was imported without specifying a version first. Use gi.require_version(‘PangoCairo’, ‘1.0’) before import to ensure that the right version gets loaded.
from gi.repository import Gdk, Pango, PangoCairo, GdkPixbuf, GObject
This version of Variety is outdated and unsupported. Please upgrade. Quitting.

When logged into XFCE, I can just use the native xfce4-desktop background-changer but that won’t work in Budgie.

Yeah I initially thought that list was everything to be installed in the update. I think i were having one of those funny days or something.

As has been pointed out it’s only showing any newer versions of all available software/etc. So whatever you may have in that list will be updated, and anything you don’t have won’t be installed.

Hit me with a rubber mallet please lol

Ctrl-Virtual Keyboard is pretty vague:

Is this a pop up telling you that you can press Ctrl (and something else) to get a virtual keyboard,

Or is it a virtual keyboard popping up

Or is it a KDE Plasmoid on your desktop?

Maybe post a screenshot?

Use pamac (or what ever you prefer) to see if the package named qt5-virtualkeyboard is installed and maybe uninstall it.

I’ve no idea why that would have been installed, it is not on any of mine. Maybe there was an issue with your keyboard at install/update time and it decided it had to add it as a fail safe.

Programs started at login in KDE:
These can come from two different sources

1. the start up Programs list that you mention
  2. The desktop session settings (also accessed from kde system settings (startup and Shutdown menu). If the On-Login section is set to “restore previous session” it will do just that, and restore what ever was running at last logoff. Try setting that to Empty Session, then logout and log back in. No reboot necessary.

Virtual Keyboard - where's the culprit?

Maybe the user means yakuake?
It used to drop down on login without any input from the user.
I must have removed it or disabled it somehow - haven’t been bothered by it in a long time.

cheers

Bothered?

Gawd, I love Yakuake. I’m in and out of it a hundred times a day.

There is a lot of functionality hidden in that little package.
You can have multiple tabs open, you can split-screen a single tab, change tab colors, etc.

It is the culprit I cannot make go away.

chacun à son goût but thank you for the edification.
I will look kindlier on the application!

Anyway original poster has included a screenshot and it isn’t yakuake. looks like a character map, maybe?

cheers

The next system update will have a major update of Palemoon to 27.3.0
https://www.palemoon.org/releasenotes.shtml

If you right click on the little CTRL in the tray, what happens? Are any options shown?

Yup, but there seems to be no such option in the settings to disable it permanently from loading, which is so freakin odd. I don’t know why it loads each time i start the system.

Hi there, thanks for your response. Actually I am using vagrant and it auto updates the guest additions on startup. I tried the opposite now and disabled the auto updates inside of my Vagrantfile with this:```
config.vbguest.auto_update = false