[Stable Update] 2017-04-02 - Mesa-Stack, Kernels, Plasma, Firefox

update
stable

sh-4.4# mkinitcpio -k /boot/vmlinuz-4.10-x86_64 -c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g /boot/initramfs-4.10-x86_64.img
==> Starting build: 4.10.8-1-MANJARO
  -> Running build hook: [base]
  -> Running build hook: [udev]
  -> Running build hook: [autodetect]
  -> Running build hook: [modconf]
  -> Running build hook: [block]
  -> Running build hook: [keyboard]
  -> Running build hook: [keymap]
  -> Running build hook: [plymouth]
  -> Running build hook: [resume]
  -> Running build hook: [filesystems]
  -> Running build hook: [fsck]
==> Generating module dependencies
==> Creating gzip-compressed initcpio image: /boot/initramfs-4.10-x86_64.img
==> Image generation successful

Correct typo /etc/mkinitcpio.conf
Other way is to reinstall kernel.

Ha right sorry

Thanks all. Finally, I was able to boot normally.

Looks like we all independently came to the same conclusion, just in different threads :slight_smile: .

@Ank_S make sure you have more than one kernel installed, this way if the initramfs of one kernel is borked during an update you can boot into another.

Update resulted in non-booting system (or, at least, not to the GUI of Manjaro KDE).
Tried everything found here in the forum, to no result.

I can login into TTY.
pacman -Syyu results in: “there is nothing to do”.

mhdw -li gives:
Installed PCI configs:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NAME VERSION FREEDRIVER TYPE
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
video-hybrid-intel-nouveau-bumblebee 2017.03.12 true PCI
video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-340xx-bumblebee 2017.03.12 false PCI

Warning: No installed USB configs!

inxi -G gives:

Graphics: Card-1:Intel Mobile 4 Series Integrated Graphics Controller
Card-2: NVIDIA G98M [GeForce 9300M GS]
Display Server: X.org 1.19.3 driver: intel tty size: 200x56  Advanced Data: N/A out of X

Also did the renaming of the .pacnew file(s) as suggested by @sueridgepipe To no avail.

Any hint and help would be much appreciated. Not a Linux geek here, please count me in as “noob”.

Also, on a side note, the laptop will not even boot into a live CD of 17.1 giving me - after a long repetition of “FAILED” messages - a popup saying “Cannot sync dbus environment”.

tty login then check for error log messages

journal logs

journalctl -p err -b [-n]

where n is optional and represents the number of boot cycles to go back.

kernel log

dmesg

xorg logs

/var/log/xorg.0.log

Manjaro Live 17.1 contains the same mesa stack and libglnvd changes, maybe try an older Live image like 17.0 to boot into.

Make sure the first mirror in /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist is up to date - I had that after (for safty sake) I ran pacman -Syyu again after doing the upgrades that my mirrorlist was altered and netzspielplatz was moved down again - so I even had the message that my packets are newer

This KDE install updated without issues (kernel 4.9.20).

I used -in view of the problems many reported- not octopi but switched to tty and did a sudo pacman -Syyu, accepting all suggested changes thereafter and from the tty used shutdown -r to reboot.

–> Everything seems fine.

Edit: System OK also after cold reboot.

Yup, this update is really breaking linux on multiples points. I installed xfce 17.0, then synchronized repo, then decided to upgrade kernel first, so i installed kernel 4.10.8, which broke the system right away - not even terminal was able to launch, and it also removed windows from grub, so i just reinstalled manjaro again, and did full upgrade first, and then upgraded kernel, and now it works, but not for long i suspect.

I checked those logs, but, tbh, they are like mandarin chinese for me. (Glad enough I managed to copy them to my other computer.) Perhaps you can have a quick look. Thanks in advance!

Output of journalctl -p err -b: https://pastebin.com/r4VMek4V
Output of dmesg: https://pastebin.com/Ps7PPPfH
Xorg.0.log: https://pastebin.com/QF5cqCh4

I would say that is always the best way. Even use pacman -Syu packagename instead of just -S to make sure the system is up to date. One of important features of arch and arch based distros is that partial updates are not supported.

I updated the list with pacman-mirrors. Still pacman tells me “there is nothing to do”, so I think, he is right:

##
## Manjaro Linux mirrorlist
## Generated on 03 April 2017 12:37
##
## Use pacman-mirrors to modify
##

## Country       : Germany
Server = ftp://ftp.tu-chemnitz.de/pub/linux/manjaro/stable/$repo/$arch

Server = http://ftp.tu-chemnitz.de/pub/linux/manjaro/stable/$repo/$arch

Server = http://mirror.ragenetwork.de/manjaro/stable/$repo/$arch

Server = https://mirror.netcologne.de/manjaro/stable/$repo/$arch

Problem following upgrade:

On resume from “Suspend to RAM” both the keyboard & mouse stop responding within a few seconds. Monitor works OK, but only option is to turn off the power.

Update was performed using:

sudo pacman-mirrors -g -c United_Kingdom -b stable

and details from gefri:

ctrl-alt-f2 -> root shell
  pacman -Sy manjaro-keyring
  pacman -S manjaro-system
  pacman -S lib32-mesa
  pacman -Syu mhwd

No problems were reported during the update.

System details:

Kernel 4.10.8-1-MANJARO
KDE Plasma 5.9.4
KDE Frameworks 5.32.0
Qt 5.8.0
(Only other s/w I’ve installed is Chromium)

Intel quad-core i5-2500K
16 GiB RAM (KVR1333D3N9/4G)
ASUS MoBo P8H67-M PRO (UEFI BIOS)
Logitech keyboard & mouse
Kingston SSD (SV300S37A120G) (system)
2x Seagate Barracuda HDDs (data)
Netgear Gigabit LAN card installed but using the onboard PCIe LAN
(No other special h/w installed)

I’ve also upgraded an AMD laptop, which seems to be OK so far.

Any thoughts?
sjh

Why do you have both hybrid-intel-nouveau bumblebee and nvidia-340xxx drivers installed?

From your journal logs.

Apr 03 12:26:35 rom-vaio sddm-greeter[589]: Failed to create OpenGL context for format QSurfaceFormat(version 2.0, options QFlags<QSurfaceFormat::FormatOption>(), depthBufferSize 24, redBufferSize -1, greenBufferSize -1, blueBufferSize -1, alphaBufferSize -1, stencilBufferSize 8, samples -1, swapBehavior QSurfaceFormat::SwapBehavior(DoubleBuffer), swapInterval 1, profile  QSurfaceFormat::OpenGLContextProfile(NoProfile))
Apr 03 12:26:35 rom-vaio systemd-coredump[626]: Process 589 (sddm-greeter) of user 995 dumped core.

Doesn’t look like GLX symlinks were created correctly.

sddm-greeter[589]: Failed to create OpenGL context

Leading to sddm segfault and coredump.

systemd-coredump[626]: Process 589 (sddm-greeter) of user 995 dumped core

What is the output of

ls -al /usr/lib | grep libGL

Ok - tu-chemnitz.de is up to date for stable - was just guessing, to rule out that at least.

I think the update was completed successfully, but attempting to access OpenGL libraries through xorg is causing sddm segfault.

What I don’t understand is hybrid-intel-nouveau driver installed alongside nvidia-340xx. I haven’t seen that, so don’t know if it is symptomatic of the error or not.

Why do you have both hybrid-intel-nouveau bumblebee and nvidia-340xxx drivers installed?

Idk. I didn’t care about that because I knew there were two graphics adapters, so why not two drivers? (You see my “linux level” here.)

ANYHOW. Thank you very much. I uninstalled one of the drivers through mhwd and the system went up. You were right. Really appreciated!

Well just updated my last two machines. On my work machine I updated from pacman everything well. It was slow but it worked I am going to update my mirrors to fix that issue. On my openrc lxqt machine I got the following error from pamac;
lib32qt4: installing mhwd breaks dependency lib32-libl I tried pacman and got the same thing then the laptop started acting odd. I couldn’t open anything so I rebooted and it got hung while booting. Rebooted again and used the advanced Grub options and add a 3 at the end of boot option to get to a terminal. I rna the following command to get rid of orphans pacman -Rns $(pacman -Qtdq)
Then I was to run pacman -Syu and do the update.Rebooted and everything was ok!

Those other update notifications you saw on the forum are for the Unstable and Testing repos. You are on Stable.