[Stable Update] 2017-01-30 - Kernels, Steam, Budgie, Deepin, KDE Framework, Virtualbox

update
stable

gstreamer0.10* -> https://www.archlinux.org/todo/phasing-out-gstreamer010/

Not at all. Steam uses now the normal systemlibs (like it is on arch), no extracted parts of the runtime anymore.

well someone got lazy I guess 0.o

Everythig done and installed - however stuck here:

( 2/16) Updating Grub-Bootmenu
Generating grub configuration file ...
Found background: /usr/share/grub/background.png
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-4.9-x86_64
Found initrd image: /boot/initramfs-4.9-x86_64.img
Found initrd fallback image: /boot/initramfs-4.9-x86_64-fallback.img

Can i interrupt safely?
Hanging has gone beyond 5 minutes.

update - operation has now completed.

Hi again Bros,

I did some more digging in my issue (Manjaro Budgie not booting properly), I can tell by entering the LightDM configuration menus that both the theme (Vertex-Maia-Square) and icons (maia) set as default in lightDM had their references broken somehow.

It seems that the original references on the LightDM config menu points to:

Theme:
/usr/share/themes/Vertex-Maia-Square/gtk-3.0/gtk.ss

Icons
/usr/share/icons/maia/index.theme

The thing is: I’ve never messed with this configuration. I’ll wait to see if I’m the only one here with this issue…

Hey thanks team! After this update finally my Nvidia card works at least with bumblebee :slight_smile:

optirun glxgears -info
GL_RENDERER = GeForce 930MX/PCIe/SSE2
GL_VERSION = 4.5.0 NVIDIA 375.26
GL_VENDOR = NVIDIA Corporation
CPU: Dual core Intel Core i7-7500U (-HT-MCP-) cache: 4096 KB
clock speeds: max: 3500 MHz 1: 3130 MHz 2: 1899 MHz 3: 600 MHz
4: 680 MHz
Graphics: Card-1: Intel Device 5916
Card-2: NVIDIA GM108M [GeForce 930MX]
Display Server: X.Org 1.19.1 driver: intel
Resolution: 1366x768@60.00hz
GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 620 (Kabylake GT2)
GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 13.0.3

Updated Xfce and KDE, rebooted both and all looks fine, thank you Manjaro team.

With respect to gstreamer removal:

It can be seen that other packages have been chosen by octopi to remove.
Can someone comment on this please?
If I leave gstreamer alone then I will have a yellow mollusc waving at me from the system tray.
If I update then I have unmaintained gstreamer packages according to the arch link posted above.

Hey other than that all looks well!!

edited for update: Forget it: they’re gone! I committed.

cheers

Updated with pacman. Afterwards, pacman was still red, and I was notified that there were 7 updates available. Tried pacman again – “nothing to do.” So I went to yaourt. Yoaourt installed a couple of things then got stuck in an endless loop (I watched it for about 15 minutes) apparently trying to update gstreamer0.10-good-plugins, ugly-plugins, etc. Stopped it with a ctrl-C and went back to work (lunchtime over). When I got home I saw from the posts above that gstreamer is depricated, so I removed it. Now pacman notifier is green again!

Finally found someone who has experienced the same issue with booting, so I’ll keep the research on the issue in this guys thread

It is good practice to always read the update announcement threads before updating. Everyone should know what is being updated and be aware of any known or potential issues and suggested workarounds.

I wish it weren’t necessary, and most of the time its not (at least on Stable) but there have been a few times where it saved me a lot of grief.

Too bad pamac and friends couldn’t pop up a Readme page to handle this stuff.

I don’t know of any other Linux Distro where I have to check the website before I dare hit the update button.

…this was a big one. First updated only manjaro repos, then removed all foreign packages that are not mine ( pepperflash, icons and themes ), reboot, all good, but I also saw the warning about WebKitGTK+ 2.4 that @MonkeeCat mentioned.

…o.k., removed that, now my manjaro welcome is gone. I don´t care, I´m already here.

browser is working, vlc is playing, guayadeque is playing. My minimal xfce is working fine.

GOOD BOYS, THANK YOU !

I know a few. Arch and Gentoo for example. Sensing a pattern?

Don’t have to I just think it is good practice to do this.

I never install or update any software without at the very least a rudimentary understanding or awareness of what is being updated, this is not Linux distro specific.

With a rolling release knowing your system and an awareness of what is about to change is important IMO given the large number of constantly moving parts.

I am still amazed at the number of people that still update without doing a full backup first, particularly with the last two updates being so large.

The next update will probably include Qt version bump, would definitely recommend a backup before that, there have already been issues in Arch with KDE 5.8.

I was planning to upgrade and just encountered the following when I opted not to proceed with the installation:

$ sudo pacman -Su
[sudo] password for ------: 
:: Some packages should be upgraded first...
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (1) manjaro-system-20170122-3

Total Download Size:   0.02 MiB
Total Installed Size:  0.00 MiB
Net Upgrade Size:      0.00 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] n

:: Starting full system upgrade...
:: Replace cdrkit with community/cdrtools? [Y/n] ^C
Interrupt signal received

$

I received the same Replace [package] with [package] prompts and accepted them.

Update completed fine.

you should always replace cdrkit with cdrtools even without any prompting :stuck_out_tongue:

look it up if you care for some FOSS drama :wink:

Use pacman -Qi on any package to find out what that package is Required By. You can then remove that with a pacman -Rs if it is a package that you do not need (the ‘s’ is so that unnecessary dependencies are also removed: in this case, the original package), or you explore further with -Qi.

used by manjaro-welcome

# pacman -Rsc webkitgtk webkitgtk2 manjaro-welcome

Everything is fine.

A small issue with Arc-Maia themes; they’re incompatible with Firefox 50.1.0