[Stable Update] 2016-12-15 - Linux v4.9.0, Haskell, Steam, X-Apps, Flash

update
stable

Everything is working smoothly. I was a bit scared and was expecting some crashes or errors as I didn’t update my system for the last 2 weeks, but everything went smooth! Thanks a lot for another amazing update guys.

DE: Gnome
Kernel: linux44

Update on 10 Systems without Problems.

On Two Systems Kernel 4.9 is NOT starting. Kernel 4.8 without Problems.

First System Fails to Load Kernel-Module "linux49-nvidia-340xx 340.98-0.12"
Second System Hangs on “Initiale RAMDisk is loading”

DK3

What about:

error: failed retrieving file ‘amdgfx.db’ from flatchest.org : The requested URL returned error: 403
error: failed to update amdgfx (unexpected error)

Is this something i should worry about?

That and Replace fuse with extra/fuse2.

This repo was removed, please also remove it from your pacman configuration

Seeing the same here with Nvidia 304 and 340.98 drivers on the 4.9 kernel.

The error reported while booting is: Error: Driver ‘nvidia’ is already registered, aborting…
and the system stops. Alt-F2 gets me to a command line. Kernel 4.8 has no issues.

Seems the issue is with 340.98 as 340.101 builds fine without patching according to https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/973807/nvidia-linux-x86_64-340-98-driver-not-building-with-kernel-4-9-0-rc2-git-ed99d36-/

Patch file > https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/982052/latest-nvidia-driver-340-101-builds-compiles-properly-but-fails-to-load-has-errors-with-linux-kernel-4-9-resolved-with-patch-/

Only one problem here: Dropbox doesnt auto start with kernel 4.9 (Im using manjaro xfce). When using kernel 4.4 it works fine and autostart as expected

I don’t know if it is this last version of Flash, but it isn’t working. Sorry I don’t use it much and can’t say for sure if it was working before.

When I allow the plugin nothing happens, the content is blank and nothing happens. Also a more serious problem, I can see firefox asking to stop (or wait) the plugin because is affecting the whole browser, when I try to use the plugin. Then, I can see a loading wheel in a white background for all tabs/pages that I try to visit/reload.

Is this a problem/bug with Flash? Can somone confirm it? I’m using the last Firefox version.

EDIT: I got it working for a while but it kinda crashes and stays blank… doing the loading wheel in white background for all tabs until I click stop it.

Couple of unexpected questions, accepting defaults led to another successful update. :slight_smile:

:: Starting full system upgrade…
:: Replace fuse with extra/fuse2? [Y/n] y
resolving dependencies…
:: There are 2 providers available for libx264.so=148-64:
:: Repository extra

1. libx264 2) libx264-10bit

Enter a number (default=1): 1

I concur with those having problems with linux49 and the legacy Nvidia-304.134 drivers. I get the same “Error: Driver ‘nvidia’ is already registered, aborting…” message that keeps repeating itself. All other 4.x kernels appear to be working fine with the new Nvidia legacy drivers.

I also see cpu miss match errors during bootup for all 4 cores along with a cant find input interupt.
At the desktop everything appears to be fine though

Ask your Mainboard vendor to provide a bios / efi update. :wink:

Hi guys! With the new kernel 4.9 docker stop working, the error is saying:

level=error msg="[graphdriver] prior storage driver “aufs” failed: driver not supported"
level=fatal msg=“Error starting daemon: error initializing graphdriver: driver not supported”

Could it be that the new kernel removed the aufs driver?

thanks!

I can confirm this. I get a similar message during boot, however Manjaro does boot.

Noone seems to have replied to this guy. I had a similar size update, only the following packages:

ecryptfs-utils-111-1 ffmpeg2.8-2.8.9-1 flashplugin-24.0.0.186-1 fuse-common-3.0.0-1
fuse2-2.9.7-3 hexchat-2.12.4-1 icu-58.2-1 openjpeg2-2.1.2-2 udisks2-2.1.8-1 xfce4-whiskermenu-plugin-1.6.2-1 (and the removal of fuse-2.9.7-1).

Quite happy if this was a smaller update than normal, would just like confirmation that this is correct.

Please test this fix:

For v304 series I’ve to check. That driver seems to be different in build.

Please report back also for that driver.

Please report back also for that driver.

Cannot install nvidia 340xx Fix:

[dk3@Home18 ~]$ sudo pacman -U http://repo.manjaro.org.uk/pool/overlay/linux49-nvidia-340xx-340.101-0.13-$(uname -m).pkg.tar.xz
[sudo] Passwort für dk3: 
Lade Pakete...
Löse Abhängigkeiten auf...
Warnung: Kann "nvidia-340xx-utils=340.101" nicht auflösen (eine Abhängigkeit von "linux49-nvidia-340xx")
:: Das folgende Paket kann aufgrund nicht auflösbarer Abhängigkeiten nicht aktualisiert werden:
      linux49-nvidia-340xx

:: Möchten Sie das obengenannte Paket bei dieser Aktualisierung überspringen? [j/N] n
Fehler: Konnte den Vorgang nicht vorbereiten (Kann Abhängigkeiten nicht erfüllen)
:: linux49-nvidia-340xx: benötigt nvidia-340xx-utils=340.101
[dk3@Home18 ~]$

Pakage “nvidia-340xx-utils” is installed as Version “340.98-1” !

DK3

Same error result as DK3:

error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: linux-49-nvidia-304xx: requires nvidia-304xx-utils=1:304.134

Should we say YES to the “skip the above package for this upgrade” ?

@philm I can report back that the updated Nvidia legacy driver linux49-nvidia-304xx-1:304.134-0.13 is now working as expected with the latest linux49 kernel. Thanks!!!

Same here, getting the messages but Manjaro boots and appears to be working fine. Same CPU.