some might already have noticed, that we are working on our new logo. Almost all applications already adopted the new logo by now. We also removed the unsecure linux47 kernel. All users should adopt to another kernel series as we stopped maintaining extramodules for that kernel series from now on.
On the package-side we updated haskell, eric, python, php and dbus. Also we have now the latest mainline kernel v4.9-rc8 added to our repos. We also updated linux44 and linux48 series, renewed most or our Deepin packages, worked on the python and haskell stacks and fixed some issues with systemd. So this update should be smooth. Detailed package changes can be reviewed here.
Upstream packages are up till: Sun Dec 11 11:39:06 CET 2016
Report back your findings as usual …
FOR SYSTEMD USERS HAVING STILL v231-1 INSTALLED, IT IS RECOMMENDED TO USE PACMAN, AS X-SESSION MIGHT GET LOST DUE THIS UPDATE. THEREFORE WE SUGGEST TO FOLLOW OUR UPDATE RECOMMENDATION. YOU CAN TRY IF FOLLOWING CMD MIGHT CRASH YOUR SYSTEM:
sudo systemctl --system daemon-reexec
Check if your mirror has synced, then do the following steps to have a smooth update:
sudo pacman -Sy sudo pacman -S archlinux-keyring sudo pacman -Su
Information for Catalyst users
If you are using an AMD card with Catalyst it is STRONGLY RECOMMENDED to use pacman for this update!!! The new style how Catalyst works now, would be this:
- Catalyst-Utils needs now three new packages: catalyst-video, catalyst-input and catalyst-server.
- Catalyst-Video provides some needed drivers like Intel and Vesa, since we have some hybrid systems too
- Catalyst-Input provides the needed input drivers
- Catalyst-Server provides the compatible Xorg-Server
Without these packages it would be not possible to still provide Catalyst at all. So it is logical to remove conflicting packages on these AMD systems. It can be tested with a new dev-build. If there are still issues regarding Catalyst, open an issue or a new thread, so we can discuss it.
Disable random mac address for your WLAN
Use nmcli to set 802-11-wireless.mac-address-randomization to never on a per connection basis or set
/etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf to disable the feature completely.
Issues with updating MATE
Some users have mate-menu installed from AUR. Please remove this package if you use the GTK2 version of MATE before trying to update. If you have a different issue with updating, please post.
LibreOffice and GTK3
LibreOffice might be broken on gtk-based Desktop Environments. Workaround would be to force a look to Libreoffice by editing
/etc/profile.d/libreoffice*sh. We recommend to uncomment
SAL_USE_VCLPLUGIN=gtk. Our KDE edition isn’t affected by this issue.
With this we updated Gnome and GTK to 3.22. This will break most of the themes, which will be fixed if and when their developers decide to update them. Some GTK 3.22-compliant themes are ready now - see further down this post.
The new default Manjaro GTK theme, which is GTK 3.22 compatible, is Vertex-Maia
You can install it with:
sudo pacman -Sy vertex-maia-themes vertex-maia-icon-theme xcursor-maia
KDE users should default to Maia theme:
sudo pacman -Sy maia-icon-theme gtk-theme-maia plasma5-themes-maia xcursor-maia
QT apps style with GTK - only needed for non-KDE desktop environments!
With QT 5.7 you need to install qt5-styleplugins and qt5ct and configure your system to have an unified look again.
If you have issues with ufw not working anymore, you have to copy your custom rules to a different folder. Do it like this:
sudo cp -v /usr/lib/ufw/user.rules.pacsave /etc/ufw/user.rules sudo cp -v /usr/lib/ufw/user6.rules.pacsave /etc/ufw/user6.rules
We support now several different steam-clients:
- steam-manjaro: is our definition how steam should work on Manjaro.
- steam-native: is our definition how steam should be used with our native libraries
The clients by Manjaro are better tested and prefered for Manjaro Linux. However the upstream versions might also work for you.
Reference: Archlinux wiki
Did you experience any issue with this update?
- No issues, everything went smoothly
- Yes there was an issue. I was able to resolve it myself. (Please post your solution)
- Yes I am currently experiencing an issue due to the update. (Please post about it)
Current supported kernels
- linux310 3.10.104
- linux312 3.12.68
- linux316 3.16.39
- linux318 3.18.45
- linux41 4.1.36
- linux44 4.4.38
- linux48 4.8.14
- linux49 4.9rc8
- linux-RT-LTS 4.4.32_rt43
- linux-RT 4.8.11_rt7
- stable community i686: 323 new and 319 removed package(s)
- stable community x86_64: 343 new and 339 removed package(s)
- stable core i686: 26 new and 28 removed package(s)
- stable core x86_64: 26 new and 28 removed package(s)
- stable extra i686: 119 new and 132 removed package(s)
- stable extra x86_64: 119 new and 132 removed package(s)
- stable multilib x86_64: 2 new and 6 removed package(s)