[Stable Update] 2016-12-07 - Systemd, Kernels, Firefox, Thunderbird, Mesa, Python

update
stable

Update had no problems but xfce4-terminal is still broken and will only drop-down on monitor 1 even if follow pointer is selected.

ok, thank you.

then i will probably start a new thread, perhaps someone can help to get it sorted.

Without any information it is nearly impossible to diagnose. Were there any errors in the journal logs, xorg logs or kernel logs?

Journal logs journalctl.
kernel logs are accessed using dmesg.

You can filter the output of these commands using grep.

dmesg | grep error (or any other word)

xorg logs are in /var/log/ directory, load them into a text editor and look for errors.

What is your system inxi -Fx?

You should really take the time to learn the basics of this stuff, pretty soon people may get fed up doing all your diagnosing for you. Lack of knowledge people understand, even sympathize with, but never even attempting to learn the basics can get some people off side. Pretty soon people could stop answering the same questions asked over and over.

There are literally thousands and thousands and thousands of them on the web. Google (or DuckDuckGo preferably) is your friend here. It is very simple to use, just follow the instructions. If you have no problems learning Macrium then Clonezilla will be easy too.

Just get the latest Clonezilla ISO, create a Clonezilla Live environment on either USB or DVD, make sure your system can boot from USB or DVD, boot into it and follow the instructions. Connect an external USB drive to your machine and create the system image on it.

What are you scared of? Personally I’d be more scared of running without backups, what happens if you brick your system? Would you honestly prefer to re-install from scratch than restore from a backup? Restore is a much simpler process, if you can do one you can do the other.

Go to Manjaro System Settings. It is a GUI tool. From the kernels window you can see all the available kernels, and the one you are currently running. Simply choose one and double click on it to install all the packages. If you want to remove a kernel, make sure you boot into a DIFFERENT one, and use the Manjaro Settings Manager again to remove it.

You can choose which kernel to boot from the Advanced menu item in the GRUB menu.

Like I said above, read the Manjaro Wiki, it provides a very straight forward explanation.

The 4.4 series is a rock solid LTS, I would install the 4.8 series, which is now very mature and stable. My system runs better on 4.8 series than 4.4 LTS series, quicker.

Running without backups and only one kernel you are asking for trouble, particularly with your lack of Linux knowledge, but if you are happy re-installing every time you get a boot issue who are we to argue?

Why would installing onto a new SSD cause issues as compared to a HDD? Just curious.

Oh that’s just lovely.
Just for the record: there was a bug in the 370.XX drivers (which got fixed in 375.XX) that effected specificly the card model i’m using, which means that unless i switch to the “Testing” branch, i’m still stuck with 367.XX

I think they mean that they replaced their HDD with an SSD so they couldn’t just apply the upgrade to the existing installation.

I think they mean that they replaced their HDD with an SSD so they couldn’t just apply the upgrade to the existing installation.

No difference between a SSD and a HDD of the user pont-of-view ? Only some fstab option can be changed to optimize, but it’s all.

My system doesn’t start into X since the update yesterday and I didn’t find anything to fix it. I tried some downgrading, no success until now, finally again updated via pacman -Syyu through a chroot into the system.
I just started again and it starts up until I see a black screen “Waiting for Plymouth…”. Than went to TTY2 and logged in. After “plasmashell” there I got "plasmashell: error while loading shared libraries: libicu18n.so.57: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory.

I remembered I got that message yesterday after the update before I restarted! I tried to start kmail2 and with no success trieying it from the terminal - the same message after updating. I restarted as I tought that would fix it. The system doesn’t start since than.

10 minutes ago I realized, libicu18n.so.57 is strange, as icu-58.1-2 and lib32-icu-58.1-2 is the updated version. Why is anything missing an old version?
I da a chroot/downgrading to the 57 version and will restart now.

Maybe you have some pkg on hold that create this error for you… dont hold back any pkg and do a sudo pacman-mirrors -g --geoip && sudo pacman -Syyuu to be on the versions from the mirrors

Wow, it works! It took me as a noob 15 hours to get it running again :slight_smile::smiley::ice_cream: (Using Linux only ~ 10 years)
Why is the system updated to 58-version asking for the libicu18n.so.57?
I didn’t find pkges on hold, should be in /etc/pacman.conf, right?

> # Pacman won't upgrade packages listed in IgnorePkg and members of IgnoreGroup
> #IgnorePkg   =
> #IgnoreGroup =

But, I have there

> #NoUpgrade   =
> NoExtract    =usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/us
> NoExtract    =usr/share/X11/xkb/rules/*

I have an own keyboard layout with german and chinese characters which otherwise would get deleted with almost every update. But that diesn’t have anything to to with the upstart problem, right?

Thanks everybody!

@tids Thank you! But sudo pacman-mirrors -g --geoip && sudo pacman -Syyuu only wants to update icu and lib32-ice. I didn’t do that update again, maybe some other day. I go sleep now. :footprints:

I had to reinstall freshplayerplugin and it has solved the issue :slight_smile:

Exactly.

I would have had to copy the hdd to the sdd first (followed by or preceded by) the upgrade. I opted for a clean install instead.

The hdd has already been through more than one in-place upgrades from previous releases and had built up quite a bunch of detritus.

Yes, @Heart-Of-A-Lion already make one and posted here on this forum:

Speaking of his tutorials, be sure check also this (and hunt down few other he wrote):

Back to Clonezila, here are few videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yUtr-DCIC8 <= demo from 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JflYnwe8cTE <= tutorial 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_3932925579&feature=iv&src_vid=JflYnwe8cTE&v=nDPMXW2FVT0 <= <= how to create Clonezilla USB Drive

But, there is easier backup application that uses the same backup engine as Clonezilla but makes whole process much more beginner friendly and with GUI. (can’t think of the name right now) This user: @viking60 have great blog and he created Rescue CD that includes this easy GUI backup app. I don’t have link to his site on this computer. I will post it later today if no one else will in the mean time.

P.s.
You could probably use Macrium Reflect also and you are already used to it
You don’t need CD/DVD drive, get cheap v4/8 GB USB memory stick and use it

Ever since this update there seems to be a script running whenever I login. I’m sure that there are many things that run when I login, but this one runs in the terminal and as my user, so it writes to my ~/.bash_history file.

If I’m working in the terminal, make a change, reboot, then try to up-arrow to get to the latest commands, I have to scroll through:

#!/bin/sh
#
# ~/.xinitrc
#
# Executed by startx (run your window manager from here)
#
export GTK2_RC_FILES="$HOME/.gtkrc-2.0"
DEFAULT_SESSION=xfce4-session
##case $1 in
##  xfce) exec dbus-launch xfce4-session ;;
##  *) exec dbus-launch  $DEFAULT_SESSION ;;
esac

Any idea how to stop it writing to ~/.bash_history?

.bash_history is having .xinitrc appended to its end with each boot

did the update last night all went well.
Read the package list this morning and decided to install linux49 4.9rc7 thinking the nvidia problems had been ironed out.
On reboot I got stalled:
First line of relevany screen output after manjaro: clean, etc. etc.:

[FAILED] Failed to start Load Kernel Modules

Last line of screen output:

Starting Wait for Plymouth Boot Screen to Quit...e...t. Watch.

ctrl-alt-del got me back to grub and I’m posting from 4.8.x kernel

Best wishes,

Hugh

I have the same problem, and no clue how to solve it. :confused:
case $1 in xfce) exec dbus-launch xfce4-session ;; *) exec dbus-launch $DEFAULT_SESSION ;; esac
#!/bin/sh
#
# ~/.xinitrc
#
#
case $1 in xfce) exec dbus-launch xfce4-session ;; *) exec dbus-launch $DEFAULT_SESSION ;; esac
#!/bin/sh
#
# ~/.xinitrc
#
#
killall -SIGUSR1 conky
#!/bin/sh
#
# ~/.xinitrc
#
#

OK, here is that site I wrote about in my previous post, very very useful Rescue DVD (or USB):

https://bjoernvold.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4244

Try Redo Backup, much simpler than Clonezilla. On this Rescue DVD are also:

• Trinity Rescue Kit (with Antivirus)
  • Resca Tux
  • Open Diagnistic
  • Clonezilla…

Direct DL link:

https://viking60.no-ip.org/owncloud/index.php/s/PKmSR3WnI5BXlFL

Author: @viking60

A video-tutorial also here:

Have been trying to use your advice as I also can’t log into the DE on my KDE installation. When I type “dmesg” in tty2, I get a dump of data many screens long. How do I copy it here?

Maybe with connection via ssh from another pc and than copy&past or you take a photo of your screen?