[Stable Update] 2016-11-11 - Cinnamon 3.2, Gnome 3.22.3, KDE Apps 16.08.3, Calamares

update
stable

Hi Community,

almost one week passed after our first updated of Fringilla. Now we are happy to present our next improvement of that release. We managed to release the brand new Cinnamon 3.2 series. Following changes you may expect of this new update for this desktop environment:

• many changes including support for vertical panels
  • continued evolution of XApps
  • improved accelerometers support
  • applet updates
  • a new menu layout
  • a wide range of other updates

For our fans of KDE we released 16.08.3 applications. Also our Gnome fans get the latest mutter release, which fixes most of the known wayland issues. Last but not least we updated some of our kernels and fixed small issues in our graphical installer calamares.

Upstream packages are now from Fri Nov 11 19:49:06 CET 2016. Detailed package changes can be found here.

Please test and give feedback, if you find some odd with this.

Update instruction

FOR SYSTEMD USERS HAVING STILL v231-1 INSTALLED, IT IS RECOMMENDED TO USE PACMAN, AS X-SESSION MIGHT GET LOST DUE THIS UPDATE. THEREFORE WE SUGGEST TO FOLLOW OUR UPDATE RECOMMENDATION. YOU CAN TRY IF FOLLOWING CMD MIGHT CRASH YOUR SYSTEM: sudo systemctl --system daemon-reexec

Check if your mirror has synced, then do the following steps to have a smooth update:

sudo pacman -Sy
sudo pacman -S archlinux-keyring
sudo pacman -Su

Troubleshoots

Information for Catalyst users

If you are using an AMD card with Catalyst it is STRONGLY RECOMMENDED to use pacman for this update!!! The new style how Catalyst works now, would be this:

• Catalyst-Utils needs now three new packages: catalyst-video, catalyst-input and catalyst-server.
  • Catalyst-Video provides some needed drivers like Intel and Vesa, since we have some hybrid systems too
  • Catalyst-Input provides the needed input drivers
  • Catalyst-Server provides the compatible Xorg-Server

Without these packages it would be not possible to still provide Catalyst at all. So it is logical to remove conflicting packages on these AMD systems. It can be tested with a new dev-build. If there are still issues regarding Catalyst, open an issue or a new thread, so we can discuss it.

Disable random mac address for your WLAN

Use nmcli to set 802-11-wireless.mac-address-randomization to never on a per connection basis or set

[device]
wifi.scan-rand-mac-address=no

in /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf to disable the feature completely.

Issues with updating MATE

Some users have mate-menu installed from AUR. Please remove this package if you use the GTK2 version of MATE before trying to update. If you have a different issue with updating, please post.

LibreOffice and GTK3

LibreOffice might be broken on gtk-based Desktop Environments. Workaround would be to force a look to Libreoffice by editing /etc/profile.d/libreoffice*sh. We recommend to uncomment SAL_USE_VCLPLUGIN=gtk. Our KDE edition isn’t affected by this issue.

GTK3

With this we updated Gnome and GTK to 3.22. This will break most of the themes, which will be fixed if and when their developers decide to update them. Some GTK 3.22-compliant themes are ready now - see further down this post.

The new default Manjaro GTK theme, which is GTK 3.22 compatible, is Vertex-Maia

You can install it with:

sudo pacman -Sy vertex-maia-themes vertex-maia-icon-theme xcursor-maia

KDE users should default to Maia theme:

sudo pacman -Sy maia-icon-theme gtk-theme-maia plasma5-themes-maia xcursor-maia

QT apps style with GTK - only needed for non-KDE desktop environments!

With QT 5.7 you need to install qt5-styleplugins and qt5ct and configure your system to have an unified look again.

ufw

If you have issues with ufw not working anymore, you have to copy your custom rules to a different folder. Do it like this:

sudo cp -v /usr/lib/ufw/user.rules.pacsave /etc/ufw/user.rules
sudo cp -v /usr/lib/ufw/user6.rules.pacsave /etc/ufw/user6.rules

steam

We support now several different steam-clients:

• steam-manjaro: is our definition how steam should work on Manjaro.
  • steam-native: is our definition how steam should be used with our native libraries
  • steam: is the upstream client by Archlinux
  • steam-native-runtime: is the addon by upstream Archlinux to use native libraries

The clients by Manjaro are better tested and prefered for Manjaro Linux. However the upstream versions might also work for you.

Reference: Archlinux wiki

Did you experience any issue with this update?

• No issues, everything went smoothly
  • Yes there was an issue. I was able to resolve it myself. (Please post your solution)
  • Yes I am currently experiencing an issue due to the update. (Please post about it)

0 voters

Current supported kernels

• Linux310 3.10.104
  • Linux312 3.12.67
  • Linux316 3.16.38
  • Linux318 3.18.43
  • Linux41 4.1.34
  • Linux44 4.4.31
  • Linux47 4.7.10 [EOL]
  • Linux48 4.8.7
  • Linux49 4.9rc4
  • Linux-RT-LTS 4.4.27_rt37
  • Linux-RT 4.8.4_rt3

Package changes

• stable community i686: 157 new and 150 removed package(s)
  • stable community x86_64: 160 new and 153 removed package(s)
  • stable core i686: 9 new and 8 removed package(s)
  • stable core x86_64: 9 new and 8 removed package(s)
  • stable extra i686: 407 new and 406 removed package(s)
  • stable extra x86_64: 407 new and 406 removed package(s)
  • stable multilib x86_64: 2 new and 2 removed package(s)

Update done & no problems !
The Akonadi/jemalloc/mysqld RAM bug is solved (from 2GB pre-update to 124MB post-update)

First Update on Packard Bell LM98 works fine.
Next Update Tomorrow. Good Nigt

Will these fixes solve this issue with 16.10 iso?

Thank you very much!! :grinning:

All good, thanks guys.

Thank you to philm and the staff. Works great. I KDE and I did notice that it downloaded the Gnome Desktop or some part of it. I do use VLC and grenview also. All is good…

Trouble free update (Manjaro i3). Thanks to development team!

@philm Do you have any statistics about how many people use manjaro? maybe based upon how many computers use the update servers on average.

I ask this because I have noted that after every update, I can only get speed of 100-200kbps but on the next day of update, I usually get 30-40mbps, which is what my ISP generally gives.

This is with the servers which are generally faster for me, for eg. belnet and polymorf.

I installed powerpill which can speed up upgrades tremendouslly.

i like the sound of that, what is that

A pacman wrapper for parallel and segmented downloads using aria2

You would have to install it by adding the appropriate repository from http://xyne.archlinux.ca/repos/ to your pacman.conf file

I have been using powerpill almost from the beinning of using Manjaro

Hi, i have a very very strange problem since update. There a lot of partitions of 1 sector of 512 bytes found at boot. My system boot correctly except this lot of /dev/sdxxx.
Any cue to solve this problem ?
Thanks.

intel and radeon drivers should be rebuilt to work 100% with kernel 4.8.7. I noticed performance drops with dolphin-emu with the 4.8.5-2 -> 4.8.7-1 transition. From Softpedia:

Most of the patch includes updated drivers for Intel i915 and Radeon GPUs

I downgraded to 4.8.5-2, but I assume that an upgrade/rebuild the xf86-video drivers should provide better performance.

You don’t have to update the xf86-video drivers when a new kernel release happens. Only if the Xorg-Stack changes. The core-drivers are in the kernel part. On top you have the xf86-stack. The xf86-video-intel package provides the DDX driver for 2D acceleration and it pulls in mesa as a dependency, providing the DRI driver for 3D acceleration. To enable OpenGL support, also install mesa-libgl. If you are on x86_64 and need 32-bit support, also install lib32-mesa-libgl, which both are provided by mhwd on Manjaro. However the xf86-video-intel package gets rebuild at regular basis as it uses the git version.

So sometimes you have faster frames, sometimes not. It depends on the changes made to each kernel.

Ok, find my problem. It’s a bug with LSI MegaRaid PCI card and the last 4.4 kernel update.
Downgrade solved it.

Should everybody do this, using WLAN?

How to install mesa-libgl with mhwd? I guess I do need it for Matlab. and which kernel plays the best with mesa and xf86-video-intel driver?

I see. 4.8.5 seems to work best with Dolphin here. the LTS kernel 4.4.31 works good too, better than 4.8.7, even with max OpenGL API version being 4.2. (4.8.x with mesa 13 supports 4.3)

mhwd provides mesa-libgl

pacman -Qi mhwd
Name            : mhwd
Version         : 0.5.8-2
Description     : Manjaro Linux Hardware Detection library and application
Architecture    : x86_64
URL             : http://git.manjaro.org
Licenses        : GPL
Groups          : base
Provides        : libgl  libgles  libegl  mesa-libgl  catalyst-libgl
                  catalyst-legacy-libgl  lib32-libgl  lib32-mesa-libgl
                  lib32-catalyst-libgl