[Stable Update] 2016-08-29 - Manjaro Ellada finally released

update
stable
release

After two months of development we are happy to present Manjaro Ellada to you!

The Xfce edition remains our flagship offering and has received the attention it deserves. Few can claim to offer such a polished, integrated and leading-edge Xfce experience. We ship Xfce 4.12 with this release of Manjaro. We mainly focused on polishing the user experience on the desktop and window manager, and on updating some components to take advantage of newly available technologies such as switching to a new Vertex-Maia theme, we already using known as Maia for our KDE edition.

Our KDE edition continues to deliver this powerful, mature and feature-rich desktop environment with a unique look-and-feel, and with the perks of Manjaro’s latest tools. We ship now Plasma 5.7 desktop in combination with the latest KDE-Apps 16.04. It was a huge step to get it all playing together smoothly and to give the user experience the same feeling as our KDE4 editions of the past.

Kernel 4.4 is used for this release, such as the latest drivers available to date. Relative to the last installation media release, our tools have been improved and polished.

The Manjaro Settings Manager (MSM) now provides an easy-to-use graphical interface for installing and removing the many series of kernels we offer. Manjaro’s selection of readily available kernels remains the most extensive of all Linux distribution we know of. At the time of this release, nine kernel-series are available directly from our binary repositories, ranging from the mature & rock-solid 3.10 series to the latest 4.7 release.

Such a wide array of available kernel options results in extensive hardware support, getting the most out of your system for you, be it old or new. We also created a kcm module to integrate MSM seamlessly into System-Settings of Plasma 5. We have now several notifier for MSM to be installed optionally.

With Pamac 4.1 we have switched to CSD design. Guillaume was working for some time on this new design for pamac. Followed features you can expect:

• https mirror support
  • column sortable in updater
  • sort search result by relevance in manager
  • add clean cache tab in preferences
  • systemd timer unit to clean cache monthly
  • systemd timer unit to generate mirrorlist monthly
  • if the db lock file is present, it waits if pacman is running, else it removes the lock file

So please let us know what you think about this release of Ellada. We hope you enjoy this release. We are always happy for some support via a small donation.

Since our last stable branch update we have now following changes with this Manjaro Ellada release:

• we updated our tools
  • we polished our new install medias
  • detailed package changes can be found here

Archlinux upstream fixes are now from: Mon Aug 29 19:34:28 CEST 2016

Please report any issues you may have with this update. Also read our troubleshoots to avoid known issues. Additional it would be good to use one of our stable install medias to check these changes on a fresh install.

Kind regards,
Philip Müller and the Manjaro Development Team

Troubleshoots

Issues with updating MATE

Some users have mate-menu installed from AUR. Please remove this package if you use the GTK2 version of MATE before trying to update. If you have a different issue with updating, please post.

LibreOffice and GTK3

LibreOffice might be broken on gtk-based Desktop Environments. Workaround would be to force a look to Libreoffice by editing /etc/profile.d/libreoffice*sh. We recommend to uncomment SAL_USE_VCLPLUGIN=gtk. Our KDE edition isn’t affected by this issue.

GTK3

With this we updated Gnome and GTK to 3.20. This will break most of the themes, which will be fixed if and when their developers decide to update them. Some GTK 3.20-compliant themes are ready now - see further down this post.

The new default Manjaro GTK theme, which is GTK 3.20 compatible, is Vertex-Maia

You can install it with:

sudo pacman -Sy vertex-maia-themes vertex-maia-icon-theme xcursor-maia

KDE users should default to Maia theme:

sudo pacman -Sy maia-icon-theme gtk-theme-maia plasma5-themes-maia xcursor-maia

QT apps style with GTK - only needed for non-KDE desktop environments!

With QT 5.7 you need to install qt5-styleplugins and qt5ct and configure your system to have an unified look again.

ufw

If you have issues with ufw not working anymore, you have to copy your custom rules to a different folder. Do it like this:

sudo cp -v /usr/lib/ufw/user.rules.pacsave /etc/ufw/user.rules
sudo cp -v /usr/lib/ufw/user6.rules.pacsave /etc/ufw/user6.rules

steam

Steam might not work due incompatiblity of libgpg. You my try followed command to “fix” it:

find ~/.steam/root/ \( -name "libgcc_s.so*" -o -name "libstdc++.so*" -o -name "libxcb.so*" -o -name "libgpg-error.so*" \) -print -delete
find ~/.local/share/Steam/ \( -name "libgcc_s.so*" -o -name "libstdc++.so*" -o -name "libxcb.so*" -o -name "libgpg-error.so*" \) -print -delete

Reference: Archlinux wiki

Did you experience any issue with this update?

• No issues, everything went smoothly
  • Yes there was an issue. I was able to resolve it myself. (Please post your solution)
  • Yes I am currently experiencing an issue due to the update. (Please post about it)

0 voters

Current supported kernels

• Linux310 3.10.102
  • Linux312 3.12.62
  • Linux314 3.14.77
  • Linux316 3.16.37
  • Linux318 3.18.40
  • Linux41 4.1.31
  • Linux44 4.4.19
  • Linux46 4.6.7 [EOL]
  • Linux47 4.7.2
  • Linux-RT-LTS 4.4.17_rt25
  • Linux-RT 4.6.7_rt11

Package changes since 2016-08-24:

• stable community i686: 189 new and 183 removed package(s)
  • stable community x86_64: 192 new and 187 removed package(s)
  • stable core i686: 15 new and 13 removed package(s)
  • stable core x86_64: 15 new and 13 removed package(s)
  • stable extra i686: 56 new and 52 removed package(s)
  • stable extra x86_64: 56 new and 52 removed package(s)
  • stable multilib x86_64: 7 new and 5 removed package(s)

Package changes since 2016-08-29:

• stable community i686: 1 new and 1 removed package(s)
  • stable community x86_64: 1 new and 1 removed package(s)
  • stable extra i686: 4 new and 0 removed package(s)
  • stable extra x86_64: 4 new and 0 removed package(s)
  • stable multilib x86_64: 1 new and 0 removed package(s)

[Unstable Update] 2016-08-30 - NetworkManager, Haskell, Plasma 5.7.4

Everything smooth here, but how can I disable the systemd timer unit for generate mirrorlist monthly in pamac?

Currently you can’t adjust that feature or even turn it off. Please open a request to make it adjustable via our bug-tracker.

Another fantastically smooth update. Keep em coming. :smiley:

Just did a fresh install. Everything’s smooth as silk. Keep up the awesome work!

The following issue with LightDM, the LightDM Greeter and light-locker is still not solved. However I’ve found out that this might be a cross-distro issue at the moment.

3 machines updated. Everything seems to be working properly.

Thanks to the team for the hard work! I hope I’ll be able to contribute more in the future.

Cheers,

Just did a fresh install from the new 16.08 stable iso on my i3 skylake laptop with intel HD 520 graphics and it still has the black screen after grub after reboot bug which is frustrating. I’ve been told that this has to do with the 4.4 kernel not being skylake compatible but I don’t know how true that is since every other distro I’ve tried has worked. Thankfully the workaround is easy but would be very off-putting to anyone not familiar with editing grub boot options. Basically I have to add “nomodeset” to the command string which used to end in “quiet splash” and then immediately update the kernel to 4.7 once I get into the system. I’m kind of assuming this is a grub issue but I really have no idea. I’d like to help to get this resolved for other people experiencing the problem with skylake processors so if there’s anything I can do please let me know.

I will create torrents when I get home today.

how to update? :frowning:

just update it via gui or sudo pacman -Syy and sudo pacman -Syu

ok maybe the mirrors still not updated

If you got updates within the last couple of updates, you already have it.

exactly, i just look it up (ellada works fine so far).

Great release!

Like the polishing of qt5 theming. I did a fresh install (had to anyway, but waited a little longer
for Ellada to be released) and it is working fine. My other machine was updated and also without
any bugs, so far.

Thanks guys!

I have a friend who have update manjaro and the versiosn is;
16.10-dev fringilla 64bits

your friend have manjaro-release-dev and not manjaro-release package
he had installed an alpha version

Hello, I’m getting this graphical issue with the editor atom:

When I move the mouse pointer above some menu the menu becomes completely white.

@edit
Changing the theme to any xfce-* fix this issue, the problem resides in the default Vertex-Maia theme.

Graphical Issues with the default Vertex-Maia theme

Minor upgrade issues which I was able to resolve

Thanks a lot for this careful refined fork of ArchLinux!

I was starting from the Manjaro 15.09 VirtualBox Image with preinstalled KDE Desktop from osboxes.org which I downloaded here:

http://www.osboxes.org/manjaro/

From there (inside the virtual machine), I’d liked to upgrade the whole System from the command line.

According to

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman

this is to be done by

pacman -Syu

which leads to a decision whether to discard a package named something like “kde-templates” or so, if the answer is no, the upgrade process is abandoned due of unresolved dependencies, so I bet to say yes.

The further course ended up by pacman complaining about problems with downloading some gpg keys, which I was able to resolve by placing

dirmngr </dev/null

according to

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=190380

From then on the upgrade worked like a charm. So this is to be read as a report, not as criticism. Perhaps it is helpful for other users confronted with the same minor “issues”.

So, have a nice day & happy hacking!

Seeding now :slight_smile: